Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

FredCDobbs

Just when I thought I'd seen every William Castle film...nope..just found ​The Spirit is Willing.  This falls into the 'more silly than schlocky/scary/fun' category...like Zotz!.  ​Basically, Sid Caesar and wife Vera Miles blame son Barry Gordon for the havoc in their vacation home, but it turns out...it was ghosts.  Some good supporting players--Mary Wickes, John Astin and John McGiver--but the last third really fizzles out.

• Like 1

Every Monday night, I (from home) set up our weekly inventory cycle counts for the warehouse.  In order to not get distracted, but to have some background noise (I get even more distracted if it's dead silent), I put in a movie that I've seen a million times, so I can "watch" it, without watching.  Usually it takes one movie, plus the first 20 or so minutes of a second film to finish my work.  For whatever reason, I find that musicals are the best background noise selections.  This week's selection was There's No Business Like Show Business.  

For my second selection, I can usually select something that I want to watch (maybe not a movie I've never seen though) and be okay.  This morning I listed to the six-part series on Joan Crawford (From the Lucille LaSeur days all the way until Mommie Dearest) on the "You Must Remember This" podcast.  Inspired to watch some more Crawford (whose early career admittedly doesn't thrill me; but I do enjoy her 1940s-1950s output), I am watching Mildred Pierce.  What a great melodrama/film noir! Though I cannot stand Butterfly McQueen.  There is nothing cute or appealing about her voice. I find it obnoxious.  If that's her real voice, then that's a shame, but it really grates on my nerves.  I do however ,really like Ann Blyth.  I wouldn't mind seeing her get a SUTS day this year.  Heck, even Crawford could get a SUTS day.  There are some more of her melodramas I'd like to see. 

I think next week's cycle count selection might be... The Long Long Trailer! Then maybe followed by something like The Women

• Like 1

Just watched the first three episodes of Season Two BBC Series HOME FIRES and note with chagrin that this second season has jettisoned the charm and humor of the first season in favor of much more heavy handing. I bought the first season after seeing it on Netflix knowing that a second season was to come. I won't by the second season though, quite sure of it. Still a great story arc with the usual BBC production excellence.

Emmerdale

screen-shot-2017-05-04-at-5-03-35-pm.png

A few weeks ago I was in tears, for several episodes, when beloved Ashley died. They brought him back today, via two video clips. They're showing that he made recordings before his illness took his life, to cheer up his loved ones. It's not morbid at all. The clips are very humorous and the cast is having a great time interacting with him on screen. 

This is such a brilliant and well-made series. 

"Best Foot Forward" (1943)--Enjoyable 1940's wartime musical--good music, but story is bland, like speedracer5 said in another thread.

I know why this directly followed "The Swarm" (1978)--Harry James plays "Flight of the Bumblebee", the big production number is "The Three B's" (Barrelhouse, Boogie Woogie, and the Blues), and the director was Edward BUZZell; someone at TCM was having fun with wordplay.

Just watched the first three episodes of Season Two BBC Series HOME FIRES and note with chagrin that this second season has jettisoned the charm and humor of the first season in favor of much more heavy handing. I bought the first season after seeing it on Netflix knowing that a second season was to come. I won't by the second season though, quite sure of it. Still a great story arc with the usual BBC production excellence.

...and to finish the thought

I watched two more episodes and then prior to viewing the season finale I decided to go online and see if there was to be a third season. The blaring headline was that the show had been cancelled and no Season Three and that the final episode (that I was about to watch) has a "Massive Cliffhanger" which was to remain unresolved. The cliffhanger was not that bad and the story was veering so out of control that I thought just as well (though I will miss the characters, terribly I think.) There's a pattern in some shows whereby they start out wonderfully with a freshness and sometime lengthy exposition that is pleasant and promising, but then as the new seasons pile up the story loses its early identity and devolves over time into a soap opera. This may not ruin a show if the latter has good production values, etc., but the show is still diminished and artificial with all the plot twists which become stupider and stupider. This was happening with Home Fires. I still recommend the show with a strong emphasis on the first season (six episodes) that I consider near perfection as one who is mad about the genre (i.e., the BBC thing).

Right now I'm watching a movie I borrowed--Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid with William Powell and Ann Blyth.  I really like Blyth, so I was excited to see this film.

It seems like such an unusual film (especially for William Powell), which is another reason I was intrigued by it.

Emmerdale. I found out that one of my favourite actresses is leaving the show. So I've been enjoying every episode she's in. It was announced she departs later in the year, and I'm going to miss her and this storyline. I've never seen an actress play vengeance in such a "loving" way. She's very dynamic to watch.

screen-shot-2017-05-10-at-3-32-58-pm.png

Gillian Kearney as Emma Barton