Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

FredCDobbs

In response to the controversy in the I Just Watched... thread over my loving Moulin Rouge! I'm watching it again.  I love this movie.  Plus, it stars my other boyfriend, Ewan McGregor who is absolutely gorgeous in this movie.  ::swoon:: And he sings! And not just sings but he really belts it out.  Which I appreciate.  Can't get enough of him.

I'm watching My Fair Lady live on TCM! Right now it's at the part with one of the best songs in the movie--"On the Street Where You Live" that is sung by Bill Shirley aka the voice of my animated love, Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty (1959)

• Like 2

Since it is summer, I am attempting to watch more of the movies on my watchlist, as I seem to have more time. Some of the ones I checked out from the library that I plan on starting tonight/tomorrow are, American Graffiti, When Harry Met Sally, and Born Yesterday. 

• Like 1

Taking Lawrence's suggestion from the I Watched... thread, I'm watching Down With Love with Renee Zellwegger and my Scottish boyfriend, Ewan McGregor.  The film is supposed to be an homage to the Doris Day/Rock Hudson sex farces of the late 50s-early 60s.  The specific setting for Down With Love is 1962.  The animated opening credits were already awesome. And in true Doris Day/Rock Hudson comedy fashion, this film even has Tony Randall! 

• Like 1

Taking Lawrence's suggestion from the I Watched... thread, I'm watching Down With Love with Renee Zellwegger and my Scottish boyfriend, Ewan McGregor.  The film is supposed to be an homage to the Doris Day/Rock Hudson sex farces of the late 50s-early 60s.  The specific setting for Down With Love is 1962.  The animated opening credits were already awesome. And in true Doris Day/Rock Hudson comedy fashion, this film even has Tony Randall!

EDIT: so apparently, "Down With Love" has become one of my new favorite movies. Loved it. I'll have to purchase my own copy and return the library one.

• Like 2

I'm still riding the Ewan McGregor train and watching another of my library selections--The Men Who Stare at Goats.  Aside from McGregor, this film also stars George Clooney, Jeff Bridges and Kevin Spacey.  

McGregor is third billed, but seems to be the main character.  He is playing an American and is trying very hard to stifle his Scottish accent.  His accent is pretty good, but his Scottish seems to slip through every now and then. 

Does Errol know about these little verbal dalliances?

From the 'why haven't I seen this before?' file--just watched Without A Clue ​(1988)...the premise is Dr. Watson is the real brains who created the character of Sherlock, and hires a boozing second-rate actor to portray him in public...very Remington Steele...​ There's a nice little mystery, involving Moriarty, to unravel amidst some funny moments (Holmes 'detecting' consists of poking a corpse with a stick, and announcing 'he's dead'--and he gets praise for this). Ben Kingsley, as Watson and Michael Caine as Holmes are terrific in their roles.and this time landlady Mrs. Hudson actually gets to be part of the action.  I will forever think of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce when I think of Sherlock--but this was one of those happy finds.

• Like 2

Hoping to watch the Rick Moranis musical version of "Little Shop of Horrors" today. I have seen the stage show, but not the movie. Thought I'd give it a try. Also, I've been kind of in the mood to revisit a childhood favorite: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968). I'm rather loath to admit that Dick Van Dyke was one of my first childhood crushes. Boy, I loved him (guess I still do, considering the amount of times my TV is tuned to episodes of his tv show, oops).

• Like 1

Hoping to watch the Rick Moranis musical version of "Little Shop of Horrors" today. I have seen the stage show, but not the movie. Thought I'd give it a try. Also, I've been kind of in the mood to revisit a childhood favorite: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968). I'm rather loath to admit that Dick Van Dyke was one of my first childhood crushes. Boy, I loved him (guess I still do, considering the amount of times my TV is tuned to episodes of his tv show, oops).

I love the Rick Moranis Little Shop of Horrors! Steve Martin's dentist is hilarious.

Kate & Allie, with Susan St. James and Jane Curtin. Two divorced women with children share an apartment in New York. Fine performances from the cast, with good writing and strong direction from Bill Persky. Some episodes include early performances by William H. Macy, Kelsey Grammer, Wendy Malick, and Ben Stiller.

• Like 1

Just finished watching Irrational Man ​(2015)...hard to describe...There's little comedy, except the darkest, in this Woody Allen film, and I was ready to hit the stop button after the first half hour..but it does get interesting at the end, if you can wait it out.  Joaquin Phoenix is quite good as the sloppy drunk philosophy professor--which begs my question..are professors so hard to find that this guy would get a job?  He's that bad.  Emma Stone is the student who just can't resist his moodiness (Woody A really needs to get over himself with the constant old guy/young honey who can learn so much from him nonsense).  Stone's parents are professors, and they--and all the school's students--spend their time discussing the relevance of Kant and Nietzsche,  so we know this isn't set in any real world situation.  Phoenix overhears a woman complaining about unfair treatment from a local judge, and decides to kill him, thus performing the 'greater good'..and he does it.  What happens after is really pretty interesting, , but there are so many flaws in the film, it's hard to get past them. I guess I'm one of the silly fools who prefers 'the earlier, funny, ones'.

watched on Kodi--if any of you have given up on it, you can get your 'all the movies/tv shows' fix back by using a program by gadgetjunkie--just installed yesterday, and all's well

• Like 2