Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

I'm watching The Adventures of Robin Hood.  I never tire of this wonderful, beautiful film.  Perfect casting, gorgeous costumes and scenery all against Erich Wolfgang Korngold's wonderful score.

I'm so glad that Cagney walked out of Warner Brothers while this film was in pre-production and that the studio decided to gamble on Technicolor. 

55p6p2.jpg

Trigger made his debut in this picture (as Olivia de Havilland's mount); he was then known as Golden Cloud. Roy Rogers saw him and bought him from the owner, and renamed him (the horse, not the owner).

• Like 2

Some people go on years without a zorch! 

As I always say, half a zorch is better than none.

You didn't refer to the scene in one of the episodes ... with Hal March? I consider you the premiere expert on that show so I know you know, right? Very funny. Love the show but my memory of specificities are dim ... but I remember that one!

You didn't refer to the scene in one of the episodes ... with Hal March? I consider you the premiere expert on that show so I know you know, right? Very funny. Love the show but my memory of specificities are dim ... but I remember that one!

Both of the statements I made about zorches came from the episode, "Lucy Fakes Illness."

After "The Doctor" (Ricky's actor friend, Hal March) diagnoses Lucy with the "gobloots" and tells her that she'll need her zorch removed, Lucy seems worried. "Don't worry, some people go on for years without a zorch," the doctor says. Ricky inquires about whether or not the entire zorch will need removed and the doctor assures him that they may be able to save half. "As I always say, half a zorch is better than none," he says.

Lol. I'm sure that that's more than you wanted to know.

• Like 1

Both of the statements I made about zorches came from the episode, "Lucy Fakes Illness."

After "The Doctor" (Ricky's actor friend, Hal March) diagnoses Lucy with the "gobloots" and tells her that she'll need her zorch removed, Lucy seems worried. "Don't worry, some people go on for years without a zorch," the doctor says. Ricky inquires about whether or not the entire zorch will need removed and the doctor assures him that they may be able to save half. "As I always say, half a zorch is better than none," he says.

On no, that was good. I can recall now that you mention. The only memory I can claim was when Hal first says something, "...and we may even have to take out your zorch." Lucy is agape with that oh-no-not-that as if it was something everyone knew about and dreaded but then seems to come to " Hey, wait a minute, WHAT'S A ZORCH????? ..." Her facial expressions, well you know ...

Good thing I'm not hypo ... I would worry about what would be worse, facing life without a zorch (or even half a one), or contracting the gobloots. I hope the show didn't go into specificities regarding this last, such a cute little word but sounds horrible (disease-wise).

On no, that was good. I can recall now that you mention. The only memory I can claim was when Hal first says something, "...and we may even have to take out your zorch." Lucy is agape with that oh-no-not-that as if it was something everyone knew about and dreaded but then seems to come to " Hey, wait a minute, WHAT'S A ZORCH????? ..." Her facial expressions, well you know ...

Good thing I'm not hypo ... I would worry about what would be worse, facing life without a zorch (or even half a one), or contracting the gobloots. I hope the show didn't go into specificities regarding this last, such a cute little word but sounds horrible (disease-wise).

I believe the gobloots is a rare tropical disease contracted from the boo-shoo bird.

The only side effects from the zorch-ectomy is that Lucy may never be able to trummel again.

• Like 1

I'm watching the Mitzi Gaynor Razzle Dazzle documentary that I got from Netflix.  It covers Mitzi's career and especially focuses on her television specials.  I really hope that all of Mitzi's specials are released on DVD or Blu Ray some day.  They are awesome.  I love them--especially her "Mitzi and 100 Guys" special featuring most of the top male stars of the 1970s-- I spied Bob Hope, Andy Griffith, Ted Knight, Michael Landon and Ed Asner among the chorus.  I'm sure there are more.  I love Mitzi's Bob Mackie costumes--they're gorgeous.  I hope that TCM is able to air more of her films--she doesn't have a ton, but she's so charming and such a great screen presence.  

51a4W5f1YoL._SY300_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am watching a marathon of Green Acres.  I love this show. 

hqdefault.jpg

I love Green Acres too!  As a kid I fell in love with Arnold the pig and really loved every single clever scene. The Ziffels sure treated him like a person!  Though I have not seen the show for many years, I remember so many things!  Mr. Haney, Alf and Ralph, the bungling carpenters, Oliver's aristocratic mom, the  Ziffels, Mr. Drucker, you name it! And when Lisa said something was "romantical"!

Too bad we don't have the station here in CA. where I live - we don't have ME or Throwback or Get here.  Thank heavens we do have TCM and FMC but no, we don't have those channels that show Gilligan's Island, etc.  GRowing up in the 50's and 60's we had many fine shows to admire besides.  Gilligan's Island is one. My sister and I loved that too.

I too liked Black Beauty (the novel) and have never seen the film.  It sounds like it might be one to look forward to!   I did like Dear Wife but never saw Dear Brat.  I read somewhere that Mona Freemon was first selected for My Little Margie (my fav. show when I was little) but was busy on other film work.  The rest was history. 

I really like Mona very much, but had loved Gale Storm  and her shows since I was six in the late 50's. Gale turned out to be a very good actress on the show and in earlier films.  I will never forget meeting her in 2005 in a film collector's show in Burbank, Ca.  She was just as gracious and warm as I had always known she would be.  She gave me  her phone number and we talked often and even corresponded back and forth..  Sadly, she passed away in 2009 but I had the wonderful experience of meeting her and was even invited to her home for a party celebrating the 50th year (since The Gale Storm Show).  But this never took place as she was ill after that.  But it was fun joining the Gale Storm Appreciation Society.  I got to meet some people who felt like I did and a wonderful act of kindness is when I received wonderful copies of the show's episodes.  I even corresponded now and then with her daughter.

Just finished watching the Royal Ballet's performance of "Swan Lake." That, and "The Red Shoes," are the only ballets I'll ever need.

Sounds lovely!  I really liked The Red Shoes, but had never seen Swan Lake.  I am sure it was beautifully done too!  The

Royal BAllet is quite famous.

I believe the gobloots is a rare tropical disease contracted from the boo-shoo bird.

The only side effects from the zorch-ectomy is that Lucy may never be able to trummel again.

I love that trick on Lucy - her Zorch had to be taken out!   That show was really terrific.  It is another great treasure of the 50's - a time when comedies series were there best - period in my opinion.  The same goes for the 60's and though I watched the 70's and 80's, since, but these earlier programs they could never be topped.  They were really class and the episodes were really hillarious.  From my earliest days - I remember Lucy, My Little Margie, Topper, Our Miss Brooks and several others. 

• Like 1

Right now I am going to watch my very favorite film in recent years - Odd Man Out starring the superb James Mason.  It seems that every time I view this film I find something more.  It is very intriguing and tragic.

Another wonderful film I watch often is The Seventh Veil starring James Mason and Ann Todd.  This is a very insightful film and it is

beautifully portrayed in every scene.    FRom the very beginning to the end there are many veils to be removed for Ann Todd's character to discern her true feelings for her mentor, portrayed by James Mason.  But the viewer finds that there are more veils than we had at first supposed, for James's tactiturn and stern character has repressed feelings as well.

Well, I'm just glad SUMMER is finally gone and I can start recovering from my "Scabosis".  :D

Sepiatone

I love that trick on Lucy - her Zorch had to be taken out!   That show was really terrific.  It is another great treasure of the 50's - a time when comedies series were there best - period in my opinion.  The same goes for the 60's and though I watched the 70's and 80's, since, but these earlier programs they could never be topped.  They were really class and the episodes were really hillarious.  From my earliest days - I remember Lucy, My Little Margie, Topper, Our Miss Brooks and several others. 

Lol.  I love when Ricky swaps in green light bulbs so that Lucy thinks she's dying.  He brings in his band to play a "farewell dirge" to her and they end up breaking out in a very jazzy, rousing version of "When the Saints Go Marching In." 

I'll admit I haven't seen many of the 1950s shows-- I enjoy I Love Lucy and The Lucy and Desi Comedy Hour (although I Love Lucy is definitely much better than The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour).  I've also seen Leave it to Beaver, but that show is a little too "golly gee" for me (and I like watching The Brady Bunch! Wally and "The Beav" make the Bradys look like hellions).  I've also seen a couple episodes of Father Knows Best and it's just too bland for me.  

I love a lot of the 1960s shows: The Lucy Show, The Andy Griffith Show, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Green Acres, Batman, The Munsters, The Dick Van Dyke Show and Mr. Ed.  

There are a few 1970s shows I enjoy: The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Brady Bunch and Three's Company.  

I am not old enough to have seen the shows I mentioned when they were new.  I mostly saw all the shows I mentioned on Nick at Nite which I watched religiously from like '95 through the early 00's.  I'm so happy that Nick at Nite existed (I think it's still on, but its a pathetic shadow of its former self) and that I was able to see so many great shows.  I Love Lucy and The Mary Tyler Moore Show are my favorite two shows to this day.  

In fact, right now, I'm watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show right now. 

I'm watching KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL right now on Amazon Prime. I am glad TCM has this film scheduled as part of its end of the year In Memoriam segments. In this case, they will be honoring the lovely Coleen Gray.

At present, I'm watching a fun BULLDOG DRUMMOND movie starring John Howard on Hulu. It's called BULLDOG DRUMMOND IN AFRICA. Paramount produced it in 1938, and Heather Angel is the leading lady. A very young Anthony Quinn plays a henchman.

Right now I'm watching The Kennel Murder Case with William Powell and Mary Astor.  I've never seen this film before.  I recorded it in July during William Powell's birthday tribute.  I'm finally watching it!  I love these detective movies.

• Like 2

Right now I'm watching The Kennel Murder Case with William Powell and Mary Astor.  I've never seen this film before.  I recorded it in July during William Powell's birthday tribute.  I'm finally watching it!  I love these detective movies.

It also aired when Mary Astor was Star of the Month a few years ago. 

It also aired when Mary Astor was Star of the Month a few years ago. 

Speaking of Mary Astor I just watched And So They Were Married,  a Columbia film she made with Melvyn Douglas released in 1936.

Nice movie and one that while a lot of the action is centered around the two children (one each for Astor and Douglas),  generally the kids are not annoying especially Edith Fellows as Astor's daughter.    Fellows was also very good in the Columbia film She Married the Boss (1935) also with Douglas (he is her father in this one) and  Claudette Colbert as his second wife.  

Get-TV features many 30s Columbia films and I was glad to catch these films since TCM tends to show only the well known 30s Columbia films.

• Like 1