Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

FredCDobbs

I decided that tonight would be pizza and cartoon night.  

Right now, while waiting for my pizza to arrive, I am watching The Little Mermaid ! I saw this movie when it first came out in 1989 when I was 5!

I love The Little Mermaid! Well, truth be told, I love anything Disney haha. I was watching a video on YouTube of Jodi Benson recording Part of Your World, and she sang it in a darkened studio in order to create the illusion of being inside Ariel's underwater grotto. I thought that was quite interesting. 

• Like 1

I love The Little Mermaid! Well, truth be told, I love anything Disney haha. I was watching a video on YouTube of Jodi Benson recording Part of Your World, and she sang it in a darkened studio in order to create the illusion of being inside Ariel's underwater grotto. I thought that was quite interesting. 

My favorite part of The Little Mermaid is Ursula.  She is hilarious.  My favorite of the Disney villains.

"...And don't underestimate the importance of BODY LANGUAGE..." 

That's my favorite part of "Poor Unfortunate Souls." 

• Like 1

Right now I'm in the midst of Gene Kelly day on TCM! I'm so glad this day landed on a weekend day and a weekend day that we happened to not have weekend work (it's end of quarter at work)! I love Gene Kelly. 

I've watched Take Me Out to the Ballgame, some of The Three Musketeers (I went to the store during part of it) and now I'm watching Anchors Aweigh.  I'm looking forward to "The Essential," Singin in the Rain which will probably be my fiftieth viewing of the film--but I don't care, I love that movie and I never tire of it.  After 'Rain,' is Inherit the Wind which I haven't seen.  Then there are three more musicals! We'll see how far I make it before I fall asleep! 

I've got a pork roast cooking in the crockpot, which will be turned into pulled pork sandwiches later this evening.  A great Saturday afternoon so far! 

• Like 1

I decided that tonight would be pizza and cartoon night.  

Right now, while waiting for my pizza to arrive, I am watching The Little Mermaid ! I saw this movie when it first came out in 1989 when I was 5!

I saw The Little Mermaid back when it came out as well.  My boyfriend at the time had a 5 year old daughter - same age as you were! She had a 7 year old friend with her.  They both wanted to be "big girls" and wanted to sit up front - as far away from us as they could get.  All was going well - until Ursula hit the screen.  Those two came running back screaming and made my boyfriend as I move our seats so they could sit in between us.  They didn't move until the movie was over.  She scared the popcorn out of them.  I still think about that to this day and chuckle.  It was pretty funny.

• Like 1

Right now I'm watching Gold Diggers of 1933.  I'm not even really a Busby Berkeley fan, but I find this movie so delightfully bizarre that it's very entertaining.  

Ginger Rogers' "We're in the Money" song is pretty racy for 1933, especially when her big coin is ripped off.

Of course then, there is my favorite musical number--"Pettin' in the Park" which makes absolutely no sense.

EDIT: I must say that Ruby Keeler is not a very good dancer.  She looks like me when I'm doing my impression of tap dancing.

I'm watching the two Merv Griffin episodes I recorded last night.  The first one had Lucille Ball, Gary Morton, Bob Hope, Lucie Arnaz, Desi Arnaz Jr and Gale Gordon.  This interview was from 1973 and very entertaining.

The second Merv Griffin episode I'm watching is from 1980 features Lucille Ball and Natalie Wood.  Natalie Wood looks gorgeous and is wearing very slim leather pants with heels.  Merv Griffin is going gaga over her.  I must say that Merv needs to shut his damn pie hole and let Natalie talk! He keeps talking over her.  

Right now I'm watching Gold Diggers of 1933.  I'm not even really a Busby Berkeley fan, but I find this movie so delightfully bizarre that it's very entertaining.  

Ginger Rogers' "We're in the Money" song is pretty racy for 1933, especially when her big coin is ripped off.

I read somewhere that the "We're in the Money" number originally did not have the pig latin verse in it, but Busby Berkeley (spelling?) heard Ginger messing around one day, and decided to keep it in the picture.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that the "We're in the Money" number originally did not have the pig latin verse in it, but Busby Berkeley (spelling?) heard Ginger messing around one day, and decided to keep it in the picture.

In Ginger Rogers' autobiography, she claimed that it was her idea to put it in the film.  Ginger, however, seemed to take credit for a lot of different things that happened in her films, so I am not sure whether or not to believe her.  

Right now, I'm watching Ginger Rogers night on TCM, live in fact--which never happens.  I just finished watching Kitty Foyle and I'm getting ready to watch Top Hat.  My pizza managed to arrive between movies which was definitely good timing.  

Right now, I'm watching this little spiel about Elvis Presley.  His acting skills aren't the best, but I love Viva Las Vegas-- he and Ann-Margret were awesome together.

• Like 2

I wonder if the real Bonnie and Clyde saw this number up on the big screen.

I've been enjoying the Barbara Stanwyck marathon today on TCM.  I've been recording the ones that I want to really watch later when I'm not baking and making dinner.  Right now, The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers is on and I just discovered that Janis Wilson who plays young Barbara Stanwyck in this film is the same girl who plays Tina in Now, Voyager.  I can't say much for this actress' acting ability.  She overacted in 'Voyager' and she overacts in this film too.

Now I am watching Annie Hall.  I've never seen this film before and I've never even seen a Woody Allen film before.  So far, I'm liking it.

I've been enjoying the Barbara Stanwyck marathon today on TCM.  I've been recording the ones that I want to really watch later when I'm not baking and making dinner.  Right now, The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers is on and I just discovered that Janis Wilson who plays young Barbara Stanwyck in this film is the same girl who plays Tina in Now, Voyager.  I can't say much for this actress' acting ability.  She overacted in 'Voyager' and she overacts in this film too.

Now I am watching Annie Hall.  I've never seen this film before and I've never even seen a Woody Allen film before.  So far, I'm liking it.

Janis Wilson is also in another Barbara Stanwyck flick - My Reputation.  Hope you get a chance to check it out.

When I got up off the floor I discovered I had been out for about a half hour. Never seen a WA film? Okay, not criticizing, just surprised. I would be interested in your general opinion of Woody Allen's films after having seen a few. I consider 1977-1986 as a Golden Age of his oeuvre. One I would like to recommend to you is Radio Days, the greatest film of nostalgia ever made IMO. The last sentence in the film (a voice over) is not a conventional weepie thing but in a subtle way it was for me. The blind-date-sitting-at-the-kitchen-table-conversation is enshrined in my head as one of the most entertaining ever. Wonderful film from beginning to end. And that's just a start. But my enthusiasm can fail utterly with those who just don't care for his stuff. Radio Days precedes me by a few years so my liking has nothing to do with the particular time nor place for that matter.

• Like 1

When I got up off the floor I discovered I had been out for about a half hour. Never seen a WA film? Okay, not criticizing, just surprised. I would be interested in your general opinion of Woody Allen's films after having seen a few. I consider 1977-1986 as a Golden Age of his oeuvre. One I would like to recommend to you is Radio Days, the greatest film of nostalgia ever made IMO. The last sentence in the film (a voice over) is not a conventional weepie thing but in a subtle way it was for me. The blind-date-sitting-at-the-kitchen-table-conversation is enshrined in my head as one of the most entertaining ever. Wonderful film from beginning to end. And that's just a start. But my enthusiasm can fail utterly with those who just don't care for his stuff. Radio Days precedes me by a few years so my liking has nothing to do with the particular time nor place for that matter.

I was a fan of his "funny" (they all have a bit of humor) period (1965-1975, or What's New, Pussycat? [which he wrote and co-starred in] through Love and Death), but I agree that his next phase was his best, only I would extend it a few more years, from 1977's Annie Hall through to 1989's Crimes and Misdemeanors. With 1990's Alice, he became a bit more indulgent, and then the scandals took over. His return to prominence with Bullets Over Broadway in 1994 was good, and the next 4 movies (Mighty AphroditeEveryone Says I Love YouDeconstructing Harry, and Celebrity) were very good. Then he became hit-or-miss for the next several years, with some of his worst coming in this period (2003's Anything Else is still my least favorite of his films). Once he started filming in Europe he found some of his old mojo, and I very much like Match PointCassandra's DreamVicky Cristina Barcelona, and Midnight in Paris.

Really. Then I think you oughta give Everyone Says I Love You a try since you've professed your love for musicals on this site before.