Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Watching Now?

FredCDobbs

I was a fan of his "funny" (they all have a bit of humor) period (1965-1975, or What's New, Pussycat? [which he wrote and co-starred in] through Love and Death), but I agree that his next phase was his best, only I would extend it a few more years, from 1977's Annie Hall through to 1989's Crimes and Misdemeanors. With 1990's Alice, he became a bit more indulgent, and then the scandals took over. His return to prominence with Bullets Over Broadway in 1994 was good, and the next 4 movies (Mighty AphroditeEveryone Says I Love YouDeconstructing Harry, and Celebrity) were very good. Then he became hit-or-miss for the next several years, with some of his worst coming in this period (2003's Anything Else is still my least favorite of his films). Once he started filming in Europe he found some of his old mojo, and I very much like Match PointCassandra's DreamVicky Cristina Barcelona, and Midnight in Paris.

I thought Crimes and Misdemeanors was '86 so you've corrected me. This period should include C&M, one the best of all. Bullets over Broadway was a collaboration but had the unmistakable stamp of Woody there. The rest of the ones you list don't thrill me especially with the possible exception of Vicky Cristina Barcelona, which I watched twice in 2-3 days, I think it recaptured the the earlier Woody appeal and I liked its theme, something simple but well worked out. I may be the only person in the universe who is disappointed in Midnight in Paris, though I should try it again. Surprising because this sort of conceit, especially dealing with the time period, is an area he excels. I perceive the merit but it lacks the 'magic' an intangible, I was not drawn in. In our Golden Age, I recall being disappointed in Hannah and her Sisters, but I formerly loved it. I remember thinking that the sum of the parts was wanting, but many of the parts themselves were of the usual excellence. Michael Caine gets my award for Woody Allen's most disgusting character. I try not to get emotionally involved with characters in movies so that can just be what they are in the telling of the story. I sometimes don't understand folks who say there's no one who is likeable and that there is no to root for. Is that a necessity? But on the other side, Caine's character was awful but he played the slimy one very well.

• Like 1

I try not to get emotionally involved with characters in movies so that can just be what they are in the telling of the story. I sometimes don't understand folks who say there's no one who is likeable and that there is no to root for. Is that a necessity? But on the other side, Caine's character was awful but he played the slimy one very well.

I've had discussions about this topic with friends in the past. I also do not feel a need to relate to, sympathize with or even like a film's characters to like the film. Some of my friends say they can't enjoy a movie if they can't relate it in some way to their own lives, or a character to themselves. That sounds terribly narcissistic to me. One reason I enjoy movies is to explore things outside of my personal experience, and to see things from other's points of view. Films that are character studies rather than conventional plot-driven narratives often tend to have characters that are less than admirable in some respect. But that's what makes them interesting, to me, anyway.

• Like 1

My husband and I are going to Disneyland in two weeks, so I'm getting into the Disney spirit.  We're also going to Monterey too, so I guess my first film got me into the spirit for that too!

I just finished watching the original 1961 version of The Parent Trap and fell in love with Brian Keith's Monterey ranch all over again.  Now I'm watching Aladdin. 

• Like 1

My husband and I are going to Disneyland in two weeks, so I'm getting into the Disney spirit.  We're also going to Monterey too, so I guess my first film got me into the spirit for that too!

I just finished watching the original 1961 version of The Parent Trap and fell in love with Brian Keith's Monterey ranch all over again.  Now I'm watching Aladdin. 

ooo lucky--Monterey area is (or was..years since I've been there) lovely...Hitchcock loved it too--filmed Suspicion and Rebecca ​in the county...

• Like 2

I've been watching Cary Grant all day on TCM.  I started with Mr. Lucky and now I'm watching The Philadelphia Story.  I love the opening scene with Katharine Hepburn breaking Cary Grant's golf club and Grant, using Hepburn's face, pushes her down flat on her back.  

Re: I Was a Male War Bride.  I'd seen this movie once before and for whatever reason, I didn't like it.  After re-watching it again, I re-evaluated my opinion and found it entertaining.  For some reason, I remember Cary Grant in drag and for whatever reason seemed to think that that was the main premise of the film, that's all I remembered.  But Grant is only in drag for maybe 10-15 mins.  I loved that Eleanor Audley was the assignments officer.  I didn't remember her being in the film, but as soon as I heard her voice, I immediately thought of the Wicked Stepmother and Maleficent.  

I've been watching Cary Grant all day on TCM.  I started with Mr. Lucky and now I'm watching The Philadelphia Story.  I love the opening scene with Katharine Hepburn breaking Cary Grant's golf club and Grant, using Hepburn's face, pushes her down flat on her back.  

Re: I Was a Male War Bride.  I'd seen this movie once before and for whatever reason, I didn't like it.  After re-watching it again, I re-evaluated my opinion and found it entertaining.  For some reason, I remember Cary Grant in drag and for whatever reason seemed to think that that was the main premise of the film, that's all I remembered.  But Grant is only in drag for maybe 10-15 mins.  I loved that Eleanor Audley was the assignments officer.  I didn't remember her being in the film, but as soon as I heard her voice, I immediately thought of the Wicked Stepmother and Maleficent.

Not to mention playing the disembodied Madame Leota in The Haunted Mansion ride at Disney theme parks.

• Like 1

Tight Spot​, with Ginger Rogers--started remembering it after about fifteen minutes--sometimes similar films begin to merge in my mind.. ;) 

"Men!  They oughta trade themselves in for something a girl really needs"   hehe..good one, Ginger..

Tight Spot​, with Ginger Rogers--started remembering it after about fifteen minutes--sometimes similar films begin to merge in my mind.. ;)

"Men!  They oughta trade themselves in for something a girl really needs"   hehe..good one, Ginger..

Yea, like a good hair stylist.    ;)

Now I've moved onto 101 Dalmatians.  The animation (at least the backgrounds) look less polished than predecessors like Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella; but I find the animation style charming.  I like the monochrome backgrounds and the painting outside the lines.  This movie also has a cool jazz score that I really like.  

​Love is a Ball ​(1963)--fair rom-com, featuring Charles Boyer as a matchmaker who profits from finding single heiresses to pair up with cash poor royalty.  In this case, the madcap heiress is Hope Lange, who fancies herself a free spirit destined to be a race car driver, and the royalty is Ricardo Montalban, a Duke with little left but the title.  Montalban needs training to be a convincing romeo, so Boyer hires a whole host of fellows to tutor him, including Glenn Ford (who is supposedly a champion race car driver, yet no one seems to know who he is).  Ford needs cash to keep his boat afloat, and becomes the chauffeur for Lange...you see where this is going, right?  Yes, Lange and Ford bicker themselves right into love...but the situation is pretty evident early on, and that's the trouble with the film.  Montalban is really pretty good as the nice guy who just happens to be a Duke, but Telly Savalas as Lange's uncle is a strange choice..he  doesn't do the 'softer scenes' that well.   Average, but nice scenery from the south of France.

• Like 1

I've been watching yet another silent movie, but at 9:00 PM EST I'll be watching the season finale of Game of Thrones. Extra long running time (80+ minutes), but followed by the melancholy of knowing that it will be another year before a new episode.

game-of-thrones-season-7-character-guide

• Like 2

Just finished watching "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure" (1979).  First time I saw it, I saw it right after "The Poseidon Adventure" (1972).  The idiocies of the plot weren't as glaring this  time.  Still, there are things to watch for, like stairs that are right side up, a bed, table and lamp and bookshelves that are right side up, etc.  I couldn't believe how many little details were messed up by the continuity staff.

• Like 1

"1941" (1979)--Spielberg's comedy of destruction and chaos has aged fairly well.  I enjoyed this rewatch.  Film is loud and unsubtle, but there are funny moments all the way through the film.  John Belushi as a gonzo pilot, Christopher Lee as a Nazi officer feuding with the Japanese officers on a lost Japanese submarine are especially good.  The jitterbug contest that turns into a brawl was my favorite scene.

• Like 1