Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

65 years since the end of World War II: the best WW2 movies

iwojima2.jpg

This year marks the 65th anniversary of the end of World War II.

What do you think are the best WW2 movies, and why? Do you include only movies made during the war years, or also movies made in the post-war era but set during WW2?

sailor-kiss.jpg

My personal favorite, though not often considered a "war" movie, is Casablanca, for obvious reasons. But I also enjoy many movies made after the war was over, including The Longest Day and Patton.

Holly, a much underated film is Louis Milestone's A WALK IN THE SUN. Great story, great acting, snappy but realistic dialogue, featuring Dana Andrews,LLoyd Bridges, John Ireland, Richard Conte, Sterling Holloway and a host of lesser known actors. The best thing about the movie is the music and the singer who was highly remeniscent of the great Paul Robeson. Can't think of his name right now, but died tragically in a plane crash in or around 1965. It's just a vrey good film. Best, BruceG.

This has been one of my all time favorites since I can remember. I know my mother told me my father took me to see it when it first came out, but I don't remember. I watch it every time it's on. Lewis Milestone, who gave us the great WW1 war film "All Quite on the Western Front' directed. Wonderful cast, great script, just a simple film, no Hollywood heroics , only men doing their best to stay alive and get home. The narration at the beginning and end is by Burgess Meredith and the song is preformed by Kenneth Spencer, who died in a plane crash in 1964. The restored version came out a few months ago.

There are quite a few great WW2 films. Here's a few of my other favorites.

"The Story of G.I.Joe" directed by William Wellman. It star a young and upcoming Robert Mitchum in his only Academy Award nominated film, It's a gutsy, dirty almost documentary film with superb acting and direction. Again Burgess Meredith but on camera this time as war corrpondent Ernie Pyle. Wellman later said he couldn't watch this film because he was able to use actual G.I.'s who were later sent over seas and many were killed in combat. As was the real Ernie Pyle. A must see ...

"They Were Expendable" directed by John Ford starring Robert Montgomery and John Wayne. Based on the true story of the PT Boats at the beginning of the war. It is a well told exciting naval war story. It is not a war film where America is the winner or victor, but the dark hours of the start when we were taking a beating. Superb sea battles with the PT boats going against the Japanese Navy.

Edited by: fredbaetz on Apr 28, 2010 9:03 PM

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> There are quite a few great WW2 films. Here's a few of my other favorites.

> "The Story of G.I.Joe" directed by William Wellman. It star a young and upcoming Robert Mitchum in his only Academy Award nominated film, It's a gutsy, dirty almost documentary film with superb acting and direction. Again Burgess Meredith but on camera this time as war corrpondent Ernie Pyle. Wellman later said he couldn't watch this film because he was able to use actual G.I.'s who were later sent over seas and many were killed in combat. As was the real Ernie Pyle. A must see ...

>

> "They Were Expendable" directed by John Ford starring Robert Montgomery and John Wayne. Based on the true story of the PT Boats at the beginning of the war. It is a well told exciting naval war story. It is not a war film where America is the winner or victor, but the dark hours of the start when we were taking a beating. Superb sea battles with the PT boats going against the Japanese Navy.

Those two are probably as good as a WW2 movie can get, I'm not sure but I think they may be on the schedule for Memorial Day weekend this year. I'll check it out later; I'm sure hoping to watch them again soon.