Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy 30th: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)!!! Yeah!

CelluloidKid

*Happy 30th: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)!!!*

SW_-_Empire_Strikes_Back.jpg

Following a difficult production, The Empire Strikes Back was released on May 21, 1980, and initially received mixed reviews from critics, although it has since grown in esteem, becoming one of the most popular chapters in the Star Wars saga and one of the most highly rated films in history.

It earned more than US$538 million worldwide over the original run and several re-releases, making it the highest grossing film of 1980. When adjusted for inflation, it is the 12th highest grossing film of all time.

At the 1981 Academy Awards, The Empire Strikes Back won for Best Sound, given to Bill Varney, Steve Maslow, Greg Landaker, and Peter Sutton; in addition the film received the Academy Special Achievement Award for Visual Effects that went to Brian Johnson, Richard Edlund, Dennis Muren, and Bruce Nicholson.

It was also nominated for Best Music, Original Score, to John Williams, and Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, to Norman Reynolds, Leslie Dilley, Harry Lange, Alan Tomkins, and Michael Ford.

front.jpg

*_The Making of The Empire Strikes Back_ book by J.W. Rinzler, due out July 20, 2010 from Del Rey.*

I was so disappointed to learn that Darth Vader was NOT Luke's mother, I never wanted to see another Star Warts film. But, the first one was kinda fun. I saw it on a huge screen, and there were TV cameras and lights when we came out, showing us on TV later that night.