Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Doctor Zhivago AGAIN

I absolutely loathe this movie. Possibly scheduled for it's length?....like in the old days disc jockeys would put a "long song" on so they could go to the bathroom or outside for a smoke.

I has been on a lot lately. I wish I had seen it on the big screen. Seeing it on tv doesnt do it justice. (I did get a chance to see Lawrence of Arabia when they reissued it in 70mm at least)

I don't feel it has been on too much. It's a very engaging picture. I think they are airing it now because the Blu-ray edition of the film was released this week.

On a side note, it's funny how people here can be. They can beg TCM to play a film they have not seen in forever, so TCM goes to great lengths to secure it, air it, and people are thrilled. For a day. Then, because TCM has paid for a contractural number of playings within a certain time frame, TCM airs it the next month...and those same people who clamoured for the film now groan, "Is that on again?! We've seen it! Why don't they ever air _______________ (fill in your own title)?!" Always the way.

i agree with you totally, it is on far too much, as is casablanca, some like it hot, now voyager, etc. i could go on and on, with repeats, how about showing some films we do not always see................................................

We know, like anything with Garbo in it.

Filmlover, you have enlightened me. I was one of those people who never understood why TCM would show the same movie several times in a month. I actually did not know that they got some films on a contractual basis and were required to air them a certain number of times. Quite naively, I'd never considered the business aspect of Turner Classic Movies before. Maybe those other people who complain about them repeating the same film are the same: they were unaware that TCM had to.

"Ya learn sumpin' new every day."

As for "Doctor Zhivago", at the risk of enraging a good many posters here, I have to say I agree with Tikisoo: I loathe it. It's what I call a "fat" movie: way too long, and too conscious of its own importance.

By the time you get to the end of it, it feels like you're watching a totally different film from what you were watching at its beginning. And although I usually like Julie Christie, her saintly smile in this makes me want to dump a samovor of Russian tea over her head.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I actually did not know that they got some films on a contractual basis and were required to air them a certain number of times.

Actually, it is not that they are required to air a film a certain number of times...it is that they have a contract in which they can broadcast a film a certain number of times. So if they pay $x for a film with, say, four airings allowed by a certain date, but only ending up airing it once during that time, they have thrown away a lot of money. The TCM programmer could explain it (and has explained it) much better that I because every film is different. Some may only be leaseable one time. Some films get locked into long-term contracts by a network, making it unavailable to TCM. I believe Charlie Tabesh (the programmer) said at the TCM festival that some films are contracted by TCM two years ahead of when they will air.