Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joan might watch, she lives in Carmel Highlands, California. Her sister Olivia de Havilland, lives in Paris, France. Both ladies are now in their 90s. Anything is possible, because I've been told they know of the existence of TCM.

*What on earth is the delay, TCM? You are letting movie history slip away.*

TCM has made numerous overtures to both Ms. DeHavilland and Ms. Fontaine.. Ms. DeHavilland has turned down repeated requests to sit down for a *Private Screening* despite the fact that she and Robert O are dear friends. She turned down the invitation to appear at the Classic Film Festival a few weeks ago.

Ms. Fontaine has also been asked numerous times and has turned down each request.

The same holds true for Maureen O'Hara, Vera Miles, Kim Novack and many others. Some prefer we remember them as they were in their glory days on the screen, others feel they have talked enough about their careers, others are ill and unable to do it and finally, some just don't like talking about their days in Hollywood at all.

In addition, each year TCM interviews a selected group of people from the classic Hollywood era for the *Turner Archive Project*. The Archive Project has been steadily gathering video oral histories for almost twenty years now. The mission of the Project is to record the lives of the men and women both in front of the camera, behind the camera and those who worked at the studios for history's sake. Many of the stories in *Word of Mouth* and other interstitials come from this project.

So, not everything is TCM's fault when it comes to actors and sitting down for a *Private Screening*.

Edited by: lzcutter on May 10, 2010 8:10 AM

Well then, shame on Olivia and Joan.

Don't be so quick to defend TCM (my goodness, do they really walk on water?) when not everyone is privy to the history behind the reticence of the actors in question.

Sheesh.

How about Lizabeth Scott. Do you have the skinny on her too?

The people who "don't wanna talk about their days in Hollwood" should give all of the money, houses etc. back. If Lillian Gish could do it everyone else can. Health and things of that nature I can understand but bitterness? Garbo was able to get away with it but most people just come off as...well, you know. This is just one more reason why Ernest Borgnine has so much of my respect.

Although I would like to see some of these people mentioned come out and do an interview on TCM or some other forum they are by no means obligated to do so. Maybe they would consent to some kind of brief interview for an audio playback while clips or stills from their films are shown. Some may have memoirs written that will be published after their passing, or they just prefer to keep silent about certain matters. I don't have any less respect for a person who chooses to keep their thoughts to themselves.

The people who "don't wanna talk about their days in Hollwood" should give all of the money, houses etc. back.

Good idea, Watasha.

Especially sad are the poor little actors who know they'll be the object of everyone's psychotic attention once they are 'stars', and then go around complaining, at every chance they get, about the attention they get from the photogs and fans until their careers fail.

Pathetic.

I always wanted to see Jennifer Jones do one before she died.

Now, I'm thinking they should get Doris Day or Kim Novak (she may have already done it before?). Also, I think Maureen O'Hara is still alive. Don't see Joan or Olivia doing one.

Pity about Liz Taylor being sick, or else she'd be a terrific guest, probably the best they've ever had.

*Now, I'm thinking they should get Doris Day or Kim Novak (she may have already done it before?). Also, I think Maureen O'Hara is still alive.*

Jef,

Doris Day is very reclusive these days and has all but turned her back on her former career. There are a couple of Doris Day threads from last year in the archives that go into more detail. The threads were popular last year when the new unauthorized biography on her came out. She doesn't even like to be called Doris any more.

Maureen O'Hara and Kim Novack have both politely turned down requests from TCM.

>>The people who "don't wanna talk about their days in Hollwood" should give all of the money, houses etc. back

Yeah! How dare they enjoy their retirement? Who do they think they are not being at our beck and call until their last breaths?

I'm grateful for the stars who did talk to Bob on TCM - Betty, Jane, Jane R., Bob Mitchum, et al. It would be so nice if tcm could gather up some of the "lesser" actors, the marvelous supporting casts still among us, for a round table discussion.

"Yeah! How dare they enjoy their retirement? Who do they think they are not being at our beck and call until their last breaths?"

Did I say they should be at our beck and call? If you can't bring yourself to say a few words for all of you fans who paid for the fabulous lifestyle your able to enjoy, that's pretty sad. If it weren't for the fans they would be WORKING even into their 70's. Retirement is thanks to us too.

I'm not meaning to come off as unreasonable here but there's a difference in reasonable excuses and just plain being spoiled and ungrateful. Ever heard of "giving back"?

*If you can't bring yourself to say a few words for all of you fans who paid for the fabulous lifestyle your able to enjoy, that's pretty sad. If it weren't for the fans they would be WORKING even into their 70's. Retirement is thanks to us too.*

I think they have all done more than enough to bring joy into our lives during their careers. With the exception of Doris Day (who may have personal reasons for turning away from Hollywood and it's not our place to judge her or force her to come back into the spotlight at this point.) She wants us to remember her as she was on the big screen and the television screen. She has worked tirelessly for the causes close to her heart since retiring.

Would I like her to sit down with Robert O for a *Private Screening*? Of course I would, but she has made it very clear through various channels over the years that she is not comfortable doing that. Forcing her to do so to satiate some need of ours for her to thank us for her career seems a lot like killing that mockingbird Atticus Finch told his children about.

As for many others, they have talked about their careers in documentaries and on bonus features on DVDs.

For many, they have talked and talked about their careers until they feel they have nothing new to add to the conversation. Thus, Maureen O'Hara, Vera Miles and many others prefer to spend their lives with their families and their great children (and in some instances, great-great grandchildren).

Lillian Gish chose to work and stay in the public spotlight. Others decided to retire. They left their legacy on the silver screen for all of us to enjoy. Some have left wonderful stories about those days on documentaries and personal appearances.

Today, they prefer retirement. They have earned it and they don't need to feel like they owe us something.

We owe them for sharing their talent with us from their struggling days to their "overnight star" status to their eventual move to character roles. They have helped make American Film the wonderful art form it is. And that's more than enough for me.

Again I think I'm coming off wrong here. Sometimes your chosen profession has consequences. I think I read on a previous post here that Doris Day doesn't even want to be called "Doris" anymore. Isn't that a bit "bitter spoiled brat" sounding? I don't resent them for it as much as I see how much good they could do helping something that has given them so much. I'm probably younger than most of y'all so I'm a little scared that these great movies are going to fade away even in my lifetime, and we have people who could help save them not lifting a finger for what made them who they are. When the Hollywood sign was in danger it appalled me to see how few Hollywood stars even blinked an eye to help. Ungrateful is an ugly word.

I love to see Ernest Borgnine on with Robert O. when he can. He's so warm and fun, you can tell he's a good guy. You can also tell how grateful he is for how blessed he has been. We need more of that.

You're right though, it's their decision, it's just sad.

*"Pity about Liz Taylor being sick, or else she'd be a terrific guest, probably the best they've ever had."* - JefCostello

I read in the paper today that Miss Taylor has agreed to appear at the premiere of a documentary film about the designer Halston sometime in the near future, And the event (which I believe is at LA County Museum of Art) is open to the public.

Kyle In Hollywood

*I think I read on a previous post here that Doris Day doesn't even want to be called "Doris" anymore. Isn't that a bit "bitter spoiled brat" sounding?*

She doesn't like to be called Doris anymore, especially by those closest to her. But that doesn't make her a "bitter spoiled brat", that makes her human. She didn't have a fairy tale life in Hollywood. She had a rough road to stardom that included more than one abusive husband and/or boyfriend.

When she achieved stardom, she married a man who basically embezzled her money and left her broke. She had to rebuild.

Her life in Hollywood for all its positive outwardness was marred with heartbreak, tragedy and worse.

She doesn't want to relive it and chooses to live her life as the woman she was before she became Doris Day.

Considering her cinematic legacy, she's more than earned the right to live her life as she wants.

As for saving our cinematic history and the Hollywood sign, that's not their responsibility. They created the history worth saving. Now it's our responsibility to save it - and Hugh Hefner's who gave the final $900,000 that saved the sign and the land around it :) as lovers of the legacy they left us.

Edited by: lzcutter on May 10, 2010 10:37 PM

Speaking as an elderly person myself, I think it would be best to try and understand the age-gap here and everything else that goes with one?s health. When dealing with this subject, we have to consider these various old-time movie stars are not exactly in good physical shape, let alone, are able to be so forthright or clear on various issues. It stands to reason that time has caught up with most of our beloved movie stars of the past. They certainly don?t owe us anything to be so outgoing as to satisfy our interest or love for them. All they ever owed us was a good performance on screen and nothing else. It would be wonderful to have Joan and Olivia speak about their time in old Hollywood, considering that the numbers of classic stars of the 20th Century are fading away from us. The cold-stone reality to all of this is human nature taking its toll with the passing of time. So, we can just hope and pray that as the days pass by, someone who has managed to stay around long enough will be able to give us all those fascinating insights to life in the movies. Besides, even if we never get to hear them speak, I?m reminded of a famous old line from a classic movie: ?We?ll always have Paris.?

*"As for saving our cinematic history and the Hollywood sign, that's not their responsibility. They created the history worth saving. Now it's our responsibility to save it"*

Are you serious? It's my responsibility why? I'm doing good to pay my bills, besides Hollywood made these people who they are, people like Johnny Depp could pitch in a bit. (and this is coming from a Depp fan)

*Are you serious? It's my responsibility why? I'm doing good to pay my bills, besides Hollywood made these people who they are, people like Johnny Depp could pitch in a bit. (and this is coming from a Depp fan)*

Your previous post made it sound like you thought it was the responsibility of the classic era film stars to save our cinematic past, not today's stars. I agree that modern Hollywood could do much more to help preserve our heritage.

But it is on all of us to do what we can to help preserve our past.