Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi!

I just joined a little while ago tonight and am very pleased to be here. What I wanted to put in on this subject concerning Johnny Depp is that he is very well versed in old films. I thought if you wanted him to 'pitch in' to help preserve our wonderful movie heritage, why not get him to come on with Robert Osbourne and tell what 3 old classics are his favorites. If his schedule would permit it, I'm really sure he'd do it. It would be a great opportunity for alot of the younger generation to hear what he has to say and see some fantastic classic movies. If you want to see a great example of how well versed he is, take the time to watch his film 'Benny and Joon". His whole character is based on Buster Keaton really and he does a 'spot on ' imitation of him at one point in the movie. I think it would be really interesting to have him on the show. What do the rest of you think?

Izcutter.......No. I think we're kinda on the same page now.

NAN752..........I know that Depp is a huge fan of classics, he based his role in *Benny and June* on both Keaton and Chaplin (especially the Chaplin scene with the bread loves) but you're right it was more Keaton. Lately though, Depp has fallen into a rut. But you CAN tell......

"[i'm playing a character] who's Buster Keaton-like, and Keaton is truly one of my all-time heroes."

--Johnny Depp

Movieline Magazine

April 1993

"Stuff that Keaton did in movies 60-odd years ago is shocking, so brilliant. He did stunts without wires and head spins that - and man, I know, because I've tried to do them again and again - cannot be done by a human being. Unless you're Keaton. Or, maybe, a 12-year-old Russian gymnast."

--Johnny Depp

Movieline Magazine

April 1993

"Well, that was really the most difficult scene for me... the scene with the dancing bread loaves. You see, I did not want to copy Charlie Chaplin, because no one can do this kind of thing as good as the master himself."

--Johnny Depp

Hit Magazine

"For me it was... kind of selfishly... it was about [buster] Keaton. It was my way of being able to salute him. I watched tons of Keaton; I... got hold of some really rare short films by Keaton, and I just watched them. You know, hundreds and hundreds of hours of stuff..."

--Johnny Depp

Jonathan Ross interview

"I like [Charlie] Chaplin, but [buster] Keaton was something else, almost surrealistic in what he could say with his face -- the subtlest of looks, just tilting his head."

--Johnny Depp

L.A. Times

"For me, [buster] Keaton is the one. I mean, Keaton was never recognised fully for... his contribution, for the stuff that he did. The stunts that he did, the camera stuff that he did, the choices he made, and what he was able to do as an actor without saying anything. For me, [he] is beyond Chaplin."

--Johnny Depp

Jonathan Ross Interview

Hi:

But what I'm trying to say is don't you think it would be great if they could get Johnny Depp to come on TCM and share what his favorite 3 classic movies are? He is such a magnet with the younger generation, it could lead to a whole new outlook on movies for them, in a way.

Great Convo. I love Private Screenings! Kudos to Ernie Borgnine doing his in his 90s and still sharper than a tack in an elementary school classroom!!

Does anyone have ANY idea why the Private Screenings for Rod Steiger NEVER gets airtime?

> {quote:title=mr6666 wrote:}{quote}

> entire Steiger interview can be heard here, @ audio archive section: http://www.tcm.com/podcast/

> (it's very interesting)

Thank you mr6666!!! I will watch tonight....but I am still curious as to why I have seen many PS over and over again and I have NEVER seen this one. I heard it was shown only once - it's premiere in prime time.

*Thank you mr6666!!! I will watch tonight....but I am still curious as to why I have seen many PS over and over again and I have NEVER seen this one. I heard it was shown only once - it's premiere in prime time.*

It might be that there are rights issues with one of the film clips in Steiger's *Private Screening*. The film clips are always cleared for broadcast rights but perhaps in the ensuing years one of the clips rights changed hands or something.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *Thank you mr6666!!! I will watch tonight....but I am still curious as to why I have seen many PS over and over again and I have NEVER seen this one. I heard it was shown only once - it's premiere in prime time.*

>

> It might be that there are rights issues with one of the film clips in Steiger's *Private Screening*. The film clips are always cleared for broadcast rights but perhaps in the ensuing years one of the clips rights changed hands or something.

Thank you for this bit of info. I believe there are a few "Biography" episodes of some actors from the classic era that have not been re-aired by Bio or A&E because of this same issue. I remember reading on a message board that some of the clips included those that were part of an estate in a legal situation but I don't recall who the actor/actress was.