Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*MIKE NICHOLS TURN TO GET AFI AWARD

spencerl964

He had a decent career, but could never match the importance and greatness of his first two films.

His first film was Virginia Woolf and his second was The Graduate. Nothing else he made came even close to those movies imo.

I think there's better options out there for the AFI award, but then again, I don't agree with most of the things the AFI does.

You said it. Those first two movies are outstanding and groundbreaking. CARNAL KNOWLEDGE? WORKING GIRL? Not even close. There are a couple of cute comedies on his resume. PRIMARY COLORS is good. But he peaked early. The body of work is not all that impressive.

Maybe they're running low on honorees.

I've always liked *Catch-22*. Buck Henry's screenplay of Joseh Heller's novel is itself a prizeworthy feat. I wince at the cynical politics, but the satire is so over-the-top it can't really be considered the indictment of capitalism it was meant to be.

The dialogue always holds my interest, even in the scenes I can quote from memory, and I quote lines from this film often.

I like the way the story unfolds, with the flashbacks and dream sequences giving clues along the way to what turns out to be something very sinister.

I also enjoy the cast - not qute all-star but familiar face after familiar face turning up in each scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLNnWw1YHGg&feature=related

I read up on the "snubbing" of the greatness that is Peter O'Toole and I will never understand it.....just like I will never understand how Joseph Cotten was snubbed/overlooked his entire career. His work outside of his connection to Orson Welles is damn good and from what I have read up about him, he was pretty great on stage and radio.

Nichols filmography as a director isn't that "wow" but I am so caught up in this weather I am drawing blanks on who I would suggest (the one who came to mind is the lovely Lauren Bacall but I am completely biased and can admit that)

When I learned Cary Grant, Paul Newman, Kate Hepburn, Claudette Colbert, Irene Dunne and Marlon Brando never received it, I was pretty shocked....I wonder if these people were ever offered the award.

Off topic: I watch AFI clips on youtube and Hitchcock's tribute was weird....it almost looks like it was edited and/or had takes. Is he sitting and standing up between shots? And Orson Welles tribute - the lighting was so off, like a concert or something. The film quality is awful. Yet Cagney's (the 2nd one and in 1974) was in good condition. Does anyone know?

When I learned Cary Grant, Paul Newman, Kate Hepburn, Claudette Colbert, Irene Dunne and Marlon Brando never received it, I was pretty shocked....I wonder if these people were ever offered the award.

Maybe they were, but declined - I could definitely see Brando, Hepburn and Newman doing that.

*Off topic: I watch AFI clips on youtube and Hitchcock's tribute was weird....it almost looks like it was edited and/or had takes. Is he sitting and standing up between shots? And Orson Welles tribute - the lighting was so off, like a concert or something. The film quality is awful. Yet Cagney's (the 2nd one and in 1974) was in good condition. Does anyone know?*

The AFI dinners, in the beginning years, were three hour affairs that aired on network television. I remember those early tributes and watched them every year. They were professionally shot and edited.

If it looks like it was weirdly edited, I would wager the person posting the clips edited them from what ever source material he had available. (A number of the tribute/dinners were put out on VHS and Laser Disc back in the day).

As for the film quality of the Welles tribute, if the film quality of the Welles tribute looks awful, again it probably goes back to the source material and the skill of the person who uploaded it. If the person who uploaded it had a bad VHS dub and then it was compressed into a MP4 for uploading to YouTube, it will look like pretty awful.

> {quote:title=rdmtimp wrote:}{quote}

> When I learned Cary Grant, Paul Newman, Kate Hepburn, Claudette Colbert, Irene Dunne and Marlon Brando never received it, I was pretty shocked....I wonder if these people were ever offered the award.

>

> Maybe they were, but declined - I could definitely see Brando, Hepburn and Newman doing that.

Shortly after I posted this I realized I too could see those three saying a hearty "no, thanks" especially Brando and Hepburn. From what I have read, Hepburn would rather do an interview for a special or bio on one of her fellow actors/actresses than herself.

*lzcutter* - thank you for your input. I definitely believe the film sources have much to do with it all. Although I believe the Welles and Hitchcock tributes were uploaded from AFI themselves (Cagney's definitely was). I know Hitchcock died less than a year after his tribute so I wasn't sure if maybe he was somewhat ill and really had done takes. The editing is very confusing.