Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wednesday May 19th on TCM

Here it is, in one fell swoop.

6:30 AM Armored Car Robbery (1950) A police officer tries to find half a million dollars stolen by gangsters. Cast: Charles McGraw, Adele Jergens, William Talman. Dir: Richard Fleischer BW-68 mins, TV-PG

7:45 AM Destination Murder (1950) A woman infiltrates the mob to find her father's killer. Cast: Joyce MacKenzie, Hurd Hatfield, Albert Dekker. Dir: Edward L. Cahn. BW-73 mins, TV-PG, CC

9:00 AM People Against O'Hara, The (1951) A defense attorney jeopardizes his career to save his client. Cast: Spencer Tracy, Diana Lynn, Pat O'Brien. Dir: John Sturges. BW-102 mins, TV-PG, CC

11:00 AM Unknown Man, The (1951) A scrupulously honest lawyer discovers that the client he's gotten off was really guilty. Cast: Walter Pidgeon, Ann Harding, Lewis Stone. Dir: Richard Thorpe. BW-86 mins, TV-PG

12:30 PM Clash By Night (1952) An embittered woman seeks escape in marriage, only to fall for her husband's best friend. Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Ryan, Marilyn Monroe. Dir: Fritz Lang. BW-105 mins, TV-PG, CC, DVS

2:30 PM Beware, My Lovely (1952) A widow discovers her handyman is an escaped mental patient. Cast: Ida Lupino, Robert Ryan, Taylor Holmes. Dir: Harry Horner. BW-77 mins, TV-PG, CC

4:00 PM Angel Face (1953) An unscrupulous woman murders her loved ones for profit. Cast: Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons, Herbert Marshall. Dir: Otto Preminger. BW-91 mins, TV-G, CC

5:45 PM Code Two (1953) Three young men train to become motorcycle cops. Cast: Ralph Meeker, Sally Forrest, Keenan Wynn. Dir: Fred M. Wilcox. BW-69 mins, TV-PG

7:00 PM Hidden Values: The Movies of the '50s (2001) A look at some of the movies that defined the decade and what they said about Americans and American culture. BW-47 mins, TV-PG, CC

They seem a bit like crime dramas to me rather than full-blown film noir. But hey...a lot of good ones in this bunch. I'm loving Stanwyck, Simmons, Ann Harding, Mitchum, Ryan and my craggy faced Charles MacGraw.

Angel Face -Otto Preminger's noirs always seem to be set in an upper-class milieau (if you consider Laura a noir movie). This suits Jean Simmons, who fits a high class lady type better than a gal of the streets. But the reason I love Angel Face is because of Robert Mitchum, whom I consider to be the ultimate noir protagonist (notice I don't say "hero").

I would rate Jean Simmons character in Angel Face on the level of Tony Perkins' Norman Bates or Robert Walker's Bruno Anthony. Jean is downright scary in this movie (Sister Sharon she ain't).

Yeah, it's an interesting change of pace for Jean. Very different from Ophelia in Hamlet, or Miss Salvation Army girl in Guys and Dolls. Am I right in thinking it's the only noir role she ever played, or are there others?

I'd never heard of Footsteps in the Fog. Stewart Granger, eh?

I figure every time a movie comes up that I haven't seen,(or sometimes, heard of) I'll just plead my backwoods national origin. "Dang it all, you can't see that one in Canada."

misswonderly wrote:

*Angel Face -Otto Preminger's noirs always seem to be set in an upper-class milieau (if you consider Laura a noir movie). This suits Jean Simmons, who fits a high class lady type better than a gal of the streets.*

I can think of two Preminger noirs right off the bat where the milieu is definitely lower class - Fallen Angel and Where The Sidewalk Ends.

arturo, I'd love to see them. Fallen Angel is a movie I've been after all my life (or so it feels.) Same with Where the Sidewalk Ends. I wonder if it's one of those rights issues, or if I just haven't been vigilant enough checking the TCM schedule? Thank you for the correction, always happy to learn more about Otto.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Fallen Angel is a movie I've been after all my life (or so it feels.) Same with Where the Sidewalk Ends. I wonder if it's one of those rights issues, or if I just haven't been vigilant enough checking the TCM schedule?

They're both Fox films, they're more likely to turn up on the Fox Movie Channel.

TCM might be able to play them now and then, but never as often as FMC.

> arturo, I'd love to see them. Fallen Angel is a movie I've been after all my life (or so it feels.) Same with Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Fallen Angel is airing on Cinemax's MoreMax channel at 3:20 a.m. ET on May 25.

Misswonderly, Don't be so tough on your native Canada, there are a lot of good points about living up there. The dvd of Fallen Angel is worth seeking out : it has audio commentary from Dana Andrews' daughter on it. And Eddie Muller has some good comments about Otto too.

Edited by: mrroberts on May 15, 2010 11:06 AM

Guys, I'm kidding -I love my home and native land. As I'm sure all our TCM messageboard fans know, there are a myriad (great, I finally worked that word into a sentence) of legendary Canadian actors and actresses, directors, producers, and comedians. I get a vicarious sense of pride from them all.

finance, baby, I don't remember saying there was anything "improper" about Canadian film standards or anything. It's more just a boring issue of legality,a matter of which companies own the rights to show certain vintage films in Canada. Holly explained it to me quite well, but all I remember is the frustration I experience every time I discover a rare movie that I can't see because of where I live. (Hmm, that last sentence sounded quite whiney.)

I'm not sure I get the Fox Movie station where I live. Can someone tell me if it has commercials on it?If so, at the risk of sounding ungrateful for your helpful information, I wouldn't want to watch it anyway. Turner has spoiled me for anything with breaks or commercials in it.

> I'm not sure I get the Fox Movie station where I live. Can someone tell me if it has commercials on it?If so, at the risk of sounding ungrateful for your helpful information, I wouldn't want to watch it anyway. Turner has spoiled me for anything with breaks or commercials in it.

I'm not sure if the Fox Movie Channel also exists in Canada. If it doesn't, or if you don't get it for whatever reason, I'm sure someone around here would be happy to trade recordings with you. There must be stuff in Canada that's not shown here in the U.S.

Fox usually has some good stuff (the REAL classics) in the mornings and early afternoon. Aren't TCM, FMC, AMC, and other movie channels always available to satellite customers? And do they always ,or can they, limit channel access to customers from different countries?

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> Fox usually has some good stuff (the REAL classics) in the mornings and early afternoon. Aren't TCM, FMC, AMC, and other movie channels always available to satellite customers? And do they always ,or can they, limit channel access to customers from different countries?

Well, no, a few carriers don't offer FMC, or offer it only with "deluxe" packages. There have been people on the boards over the years saying their cable/satellite provider doesn't offer FMC. As for the countries in which the channels are seen, I think that varies quite a bit, for example TCM is seen in other countries but the kinds of movies they offer can be quite a different in Germany, or the UK or Latin America.

As for the FMC, I really don't know in how many other countries it might be available, if any, or how different its schedule might be elsewhere.

misswonderly wrote:

*Fallen Angel is a movie I've been after all my life (or so it feels.) Same with Where the Sidewalk Ends.*

Both have also been released on dvd in the last several years as part of the Fox Film Noir series, if that's an option for you.