Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CBC Movies

sfpcc1

Does anyone out there live in Canada or have access to the CBC network? If you do you watch the late night CBC movie on at 1 Am, (EST). Along with more recient movies they have shown some classics films in the past, (Gentleman Prefer Blonds, The Boys In The Band, The Hustler, Arabesque.)

*I* live in Canada! I love the CBC! I've got the CBC news on right now -they're talking about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, Peter Mansbridge. yeah. I'll check out their late night movies. Maybe I can record them; I don't often watch movies that late. Thanks for the tip.

I knew there had to be other Canadians out there!

TVO -yeah, remember (if anyone's old enough) Elwy Yost and his Saturday Night at the Movies ?

I first saw some of the great classics as well as more obscure films that are shown on TCM on TVO with Elwy.

Edited by: misswonderly on May 14, 2010 8:35 PM

Hi! MissWonderly

I'm not really a "Movie" guy.

I'm a political-news junkie and generally watch documentaries only.

Actually, I am more in-tune to American politics than Canadian politics.

Sort of like a futurist .... because what happens in America arrives in Canada 5 years later.

I live in Toronto.

Don't bother to join or register.

It is just a database which I maintain and use to catalogue my audio-visual collection.

http://www.pair-annoyed.com:9090/FORUM-DATABASE/index.php

Calm

Glad somebody else remembers good old Elwy. You're right, it would be worth TCM's time and effort to research some of the Elwy Yost/TVO interviews and special features from the 70s and 80s, maybe part of the 90s -I forget when he retired. He did some great interviews though -he was charmingly enthusiastic, almost boyish sometimes, but very knowledgable. " Saturday Night at the Movies" showed some real gems.

Did you know that the guy who wrote the screenplay for Speed (the out of control bus movie with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock, I forget what year) is Elwy Yost's son?

I'm actually from the Detroit area so I'm not Canadian. I've been watching CBC Windsor for more than 30 years. The first time I saw Psycho was on that channel. I've heard of Elwy Yost through other message boards, but I've never scene his show. Growing up in Detroit we had Bill Kennedy on channel 50 WKBD. He was a bit actor who became a longtime movie host in the until the 80's.

If you've seen him you'll remember him.

> {quote:title=sfpcc1 wrote:}{quote}

> I'm actually from the Detroit area so I'm not Canadian. I've been watching CBC Windsor for more than 30 years. The first time I saw Psycho was on that channel. I've heard of Elwy Yost through other message boards, but I've never scene his show. Growing up in Detroit we had Bill Kennedy on channel 50 WKBD. He was a bit actor who became a longtime movie host in the until the 80's.

> If you've seen him you'll remember him.

I live in Ann Arbor, and remember Bill Kennedy, and his commentaries, well. One thing I remember from CBC Windsor is that back in the 80s, IIRC, they reran The Prisoner, with Canadian newsman Warner Troyer providing commentary, called "The Prisoner Puzzle," for each episode. His commentaries were the best I've ever heard for The Prisoner. I first saw the original run of The Prisoner on CBC too, before it was on US TV.

At that time, in the late 60s, CBC Windsor had a movie series called "THE FLICK." However, the L and the I tended to run together on the common small screens of the time, looking like a U, so they changed the name.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I do remember PBS, but the signal I received was from Buffalo. I don't know why I say "remember", I know it's still around. PBS still shows good and unusual movies fairly regularly, doesn't it?

I'm a big PBS fan. They do show the occasional movie, but I believe those are picked by the local stations, and only shown locally. Our local station, WTVS, does show good classic films. Much of what PBS is known for is science series, other documentaries, programs like POV, Independent Lens, Nova, Nature. They have dramatic series' too, but these, like Masterpiece Theater, are usually British productions. One of my favorite PBS series is the long-running Mystery, with mostly British productions, just concluding a new season of Foyle's War.