Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Bad Seed " Movie

I've seen this movie many times, I have the play in my book collection too, it's very disturbing to say the least. I think the mother's acting is slightly over the top, haha, but that kid is amazing! I think lots of us have known kids like that in our lives too... maybe not murderers but you know what I mean. This is one of those movies that are really scary because the story is POSSIBLE.

www.moonchildiva.com

The DVD of THE BAD SEED has some good extras. It includes a new interview with The Bad Seed herself Patty McCormack and also audio commentary with Patty McCormack & actor-writer Charles Busch. Patty McCormack played the role of Rhoda on Broadway (it was a big hit) before they made it into a movie. I also like Henry Jones as Leroy. There was a TV-movie remake in 1985.

Thanks for the dvd info, catcarson123. I added it to my Netflix rental queue upon it's release on dvd. I haven't seen it in years and noticed that TCM is airing it again on Halloween. But I'm a sucker for all of the dvd extras and commentaries, so I look forward to receiving it.

It's a fascinating story but the trouble with the film is they didn't tone down any of the performances from the Broadway stage play--everyone is pretty much over the top. Especially Nancy Kelly who makes me squirm with discomfort when I watch how she's overplaying her role as though she's projecting to the third balcony. And this is surprising, since she started out as a film actress. I loved Eileen Heckart as the drunken mother and Patti was good too, although it was all just a little too stagey for comfort. I guess Mervyn LeRoy is to blame for that. Good old Henry Jones was perfect as the janitor.

For some reason, I cannot ever turn this film off, if I am flipping through channels. Consequently I almost know the dialogue between Henry Jones and Patty McCormack by heart.

To my surprise, when it was on recently, I was not looking at the screen during the part where the radio announcement comes on about a child drowned at the school picnic...and I realized it is Henry Jones making the announcement.

I guess they thought he could do double duty, since the person was never seen, and maybe he did that on stage.

He is a magical actor and can play both downtrodden low lifes, or a classy, brainy judge type, as in "Vertigo".

I bet Tom Cruise could not do as much.