Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Josef' Von Sternberg Silents in August from Criterion!

gagman66

Very BIG news! *UNDERWORLD (1927), THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK,* and *THE LAST COMMAND (Both 1928)* will have three optional musical scores per film. All have been scored by *Robert Israel!* Not sure about the other scoring selections, I'll try to find out more. Don't know if the old *Gaylord Carter* tracks will be included or not? They might be.

Robert had told me back in March after the premier of *THE MAGICIAN* on TCM, that He was busy scoring another project, but didn't give any details at that time. This is huge, and completely unexpected! On the downside, there is no *CHILDREN OF DIVORCE* in the group.

What is so amazing is that I never thought I would see any of these movies on DVD ahead of *THE BIG PARADE?* I mean we are talking about 3 Paramount owned Silents here, So what gives Warner's, huh? If the TCM broadcast next week is going to be the not so new, but still unseen 2004 restoration, surely someone would have said something about it somewhere by now? Therefore I have to assume that it will not be. If it is going to be the newest restoration, how about an announcement of some sort???

VonSternbergBoxCriterion.jpg

Hey Jeffrey,

This is indeed good news! I will certainly buy this set when it comes out.

It is great that Criterion was able to get these films released. If this set dose well, maybe they will be able to get a Clara Bow set out at some point. I like Robert Israel's scores, so I expect that they will be terrific!

Good news indeed..... *Docks of New York* and *The Last Command* rank among the top silents... The 3 scores per film angle is quite interesting.....

Ed,

*UNDERWORLD* has never been officially released in any Home Video format before. A number of second-tier labels had it out, but not in a restored print from 35 millimeter elements. At least the other two were released on VHS by Paramount in the Mid-80's. *UNDERWORLD* was not. These are three terrific films., and to have them with new Robert Israel scores will really be something.

I was wondering when Paramount last released these films on home video and it's quite incredible to find out that it has been a quarter of a century.

This is one of my most anticipated releases of the year, I'm only disappointed it couldn't be a Blu-ray set.

The year was 1985. That is when a small handful of Silents were released on VHS and Beta, plus a couple on Laser-disc, by Paramount.

Have you seen De Mille's *THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923)?* It was released as an Extra on a 50th Anniversary DVD set of the 1956 film in 2006. That is about the only Paramount owned Silent until now. Even *WINGS* and *BEAU GESTE* haven't had an official DVD release so far.

It is almost as long for *THE BIG PARADE, OLD HEIDELBERG,* and several other major MGM Silents. Try 1989 and 1990. For those. Speaking of which, Only one more week until *THE BIG PARADE on TCM Silent Sunday Nights.* But don't miss *THE BETTER OLE'* this evening. It is an extremely funny film.

LastCommand1928Lobby.jpg

Although I prefer silent Cecil B. DeMille to his later years, I have yet to see the silent Ten Commandments. I'm not much of a fan of the '56 version but I have heard that the silent is quite different (half Biblical story, half modern day story.)

I might have to check out that deluxe DVD of the '56 version just to see it.

Oh, and I must say thanks for all of these great silent movie images you post. I like to use them on my desktop background.

Edited by: JonasEB on May 16, 2010 2:48 AM