Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kevin Costner says he and his brother can clean up oil spill

FredCDobbs

http://www.huliq.com/8738/93432/kevin-costner-makes-bid-clean-oil-spill

?The device Costner is pushing as a solution that will clean up the mess in the Gulf was developed by his brother, who created it along with a team of scientists; the actor put up the funding for it. It's a centrifuge that Costner claims can separate oil from water at rates as high as 200,000 gallons (4700 barrels) a minute.

He says, it removes 99 percent of the oil from the water.

Costner has been demonstrating the device in communities throughout southern Louisiana in hopes of building support for a demonstration project on the spill itself. In his demonstrations, the machine separated 97 percent of the diesel fuel in a tub of water.?

> Or, they could just plug up the pipe with unsold vhs copies of *The Postman*.

Wouldn't *Waterworld* be the more apt choice?

And what do you have against *Il Postino* anyhow?

> {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

> Why did he demonstrate with a tub of diesel fuel rather than thick, gooey crude oil? He must not have been confident enough to try that in front of an audience.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

If someone spills a couple of gallons of diesel fuel in a bathtub, I'm sure Kevin will be able to separate the fuel from the water.

Without meaning to pass judgment, either way, on this invention, I will make two observations:

1. You can easily buy diesel fuel by the gallon, whereas crude can be difficult to come by.

2. Diesel, being thinner, may well be MORE difficult to separate from water than even light crude.

This is such a serious situation, that I think we should examine any reasonable possibility, rather than ridicule the proposition because it came from a celebrity. Others have demonstrated, on cable news, that hay, mixed in a water/crude mixture absorbs the crude. Others are making "oil booms" out of old pantyhose and human hair. So, why not check out the Costner method?

The good news it that finally they are announcing some success with their new siphon, hopefully capturing 75% of the main leak.

I am completely floored by this disaster. I always thought they had the "capping technology" to employ just in case such an event happened. Apparnetly not!! :(

All I can say is that the US should BAN anymore offshore drilling until such a technology is developed! You will see how fast the oil companies get their butts moving!

Funny, they can stop all those badly damaged oil wells in Kuwait during the Gulf War and put a spacecraft into orbit around Saturn but they can't plug a single pipe. Unbeleivable.

About cleaning up some of the mess, give the BP executives a truck load of Sham-wows and say get to work. Oh by the way, give Costner an acting gig, he has too much time on his hands playing in the bathtub with an oily rubber duck.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> I am completely floored by this disaster. I always thought they had the "capping technology" to employ just in case such an event happened. Apparnetly not!! :(

>

> All I can say is that the US should BAN anymore offshore drilling until such a technology is developed! You will see how fast the oil companies get their butts moving!

>

> Funny, they can stop all those badly damaged oil wells in Kuwait during the Gulf War and put a spacecraft into orbit around Saturn but they can't plug a single pipe. Unbeleivable.

>

I grew up in the oil patch, played around rigs as a kid. My dad was an oilfield engineer. So, I know a little bit about it. All rigs, on land, or off shore, have blow out preventers, which are designed to shut off oil flow and prevent such things. They even have a backup valve above that, intended as a fail safe. From what I can gather on the news, the hydraulic system on their blowout preventer wasn't working, and they knew it. The battery was dead on the backup, they knew it, and didn't replace it. Most countries require a third valve, actuated by audio, so it can be shut off on command. The US has not required these.

To add to the situation, the US agency that is supposed to inspect all this stuff regularly, Mineral Management Service, has apparently been looking the other way. So, this is BP's fault, a totally predictable accident waiting to happen. Also, the incident may well have been triggered by Haliburton, who did the cementing, and has caused such problems before. Add to all this that the well head is one mile below the surface of the water, and had hundreds of feet of 22" diameter pipe coming out of it, all twisted up, and leaking in three places. Hopefully, we will see that this doesn't happen again.

Sham-wows??? Rubber oily duckies??:? OMG! You killed me!!!! Yes we've orbited Saturn, but who knows what would have happened had Blackwater/Halliburton/ uhmmmm...Xe been at the helm of the spaceship. We might've crashed and exploded the planet. Hey...Pluto is no longer a planet. Wait a minute...

D'ya think Halliburton was there already???

Thanks for the link, scsu. This sounds promising. CNN notes that BP's plan to remove oil from the shore is to scoop it up with shovels. Why the heck don't they send out some porta-potty suction cleaning machines to suck it up? Or build something similar for the task? In 2010, we're using shovels to clean up an oil spill???

>>Hey...Pluto is no longer a planet. Wait a minute...

D'ya think Halliburton was there already???

Never occurred to me that Pluto's non-planet status might have something to do with Haliburton...

Wouldn't surprise me in the least, though.

Everyone, has anyone been watching the news? Neither BP or the US government is doing jack squat and anything now is too little, too late for the people of Lousiana (poor fishermen).

That thing in the back of the truck looks like a portable moonshine still

Something newsworthy http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20100525/ARTICLES/100529628/1292?Title=Memorial-to-honor-victims-of-oil-rig-explosion

*BP we could use some Dawn dishwashing liquid!* :(

cleaning-oil-spill-2.jpg

*Relax, Everyone: James Cameron Is Helping with the Oil Spill*

by Eric D. Snider

Jun 1st 2010

Cinematical

*The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is a devastating blow to our precious natural resources. It's only fitting, then, that aid should come in the form of another one of our precious natural resources: celebrities.*

First there was Kevin Costner's water-purification pump, which basically sucks up polluted water, uses centrifugal force to separate the clean from the dirty, and sends back 97 percent clean water. The actor, no stranger to things that suck, first started looking into such a device after the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989, and has spent millions of dollars of his own money to research it. British Petroleum, the company behind the current oilpocalypse, began testing six of Costner's devices two weeks ago. They'd need thousands of them to clean this much water, though, so we can't put all our eggs in Costner's basket (if you know what I mean).

Now another Oscar-winning director has joined the battle. It's James Cameron! You'd think the king of the world would have been consulted sooner. According to the Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail, Cameron was planning to meet with deep-ocean experts today to pitch ideas. He was to be joined by Phil Nuytten, described by the paper as an "underwater innovator," who built the submersibles Cameron used in his film The Abyss.

The paper calls Cameron and Nuytten "the two swashbuckling Canadians," which would be an excellent title for a terrible pirate movie.

It wasn't known before the meeting what Cameron's specific ideas were, but a few things are certain. His ideas will be BRILLIANT, they will cost HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS, and they will HAVE A STRONG FEMALE PROTAGONIST.

We kid James Cameron and his giant ego, but the guy actually knows a thing or two about the ocean. There's The Abyss and Titanic, of course (and don't forget his first feature, Piranha II!), which led to his increased interest in ocean technology. Inspired by his new passion, he directed the documentaries Ghost of the Abyss, Expedition: Bismarck (about the sunken ship), and Aliens of the Deep, produced Volcanoes of the Deep Sea, and participated in Tony Robinson's Titanic Adventure. He's more than just a hobbyist.

What's more, he has the ambition -- not to mention the money -- to pursue whatever tickles his fancy. Goodness knows the people at BP haven't been able to come up with any solid ideas yet, so we might as well open the floor to rich people who make documentaries about the ocean in their spare time.

Where's Aquaman when you need him?

> {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> *Relax, Everyone: James Cameron Is Helping with the Oil Spill*

LOL, this is amazing.

I wish we still had C.B. DeMille to direct this operation, and a young Charlton Heston to star in it.

Jimmy Stewart was pretty good in ?Thunder Bay? back in ?53:

?Plot: Shrimpers and oilmen clash when an ambitious wildcatter begins constructing an off-shore oilrig.?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046425/

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_B36eowsY2qc/Sy_bpDHJt7I/AAAAAAAAAYg/gddcupFvtz8/s1600-h/thunder_bay.jpg

Scroll down for screen shots of the French version:

http://www.dvdclassik.com/Critiques/port_passions_streets-laredo-sans-foi-ni-loi-dvd.htm

http://www.rmvbsky.com/upload/cover/17500/large/17310-5c7730.jpg

HA! I just listened to "The O'Reilly Factor" on the FOX News Channel and Bill said James Cameron will send Leonardo DiCaprio down to cap the well.

I was thinking we could used that futuristic technology in "The Abyss". If we had that deep ocean underwater lab in the movie, they could just placed the entire thing over the well and let the oil come up through the diving port located at the bottom of the lab. Just pipe the oil from the lab to the surface.