Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COWBOY... Jack Lemmon & Glen Ford

To those folks in Canada this movie is now being offered on amazon.ca for $11.50 it has been above $22.00 prior to now. i recommend it based upon a single viewing many years ago i remember it as being a good western and what the hay-- jack lemmon and Glen ford ... give it a try.

This is a much underrated "Western" and it's a winner. Glen Ford did some of his best work in westerns as he does here. Jack Lemmon is out of his element as he is suppose to be. Based on a few lines of Frank Harris's autobiography where he joins a cattle drive and reality sets in as to the real life of a "Cowboy" The entire cast peppered with vets like Dick York { before "Bewitched" } and Richard Jaeckel, Brian Donlevy and Strother Martin round out a fine cast with Donlevy stealing the picture with his worn out ex marshal who has seen to much and haunted by ghosts.. If you have never seen it, do yourself a favor........

Fredb,

For me, the joy of this film is Brian Donlevy. For much of his career, it seems that he played the bad guy (or at least the films I have seen him in) but in this one, he took what was a supporting role and with his usual panache, stole the movie from Glenn Ford and Jack Lemmon as easily as he had back in 1939 in *Beau Geste* when he stole the movie from Gary Cooper and Robert Preston.

A true little gem that needs to be seen more!

Iz, when you mentioned Brian Donlevy's career of playing "bad/tough guys" I started thinking , "did he do that many good guy roles"..

"The Great McGinty" a tough guy who is reformed...

"Miracle at Morgans Creek" the cameo { did they have cameos back in those days } of tough McGinty

"Wake Island" Tough Marine holding off Japanese forces at outbreak of WW2

"Kiss of Death" tough D.A. with a soft spot for Vic Mature's kids...

"Glass Key" Tough Ward Boss who's a real pal of Alan Ladd...

Just a few roles where he was a good guy, there were quite a where he was the "good guy" , but you seem to remember his "bad guy" characters more.

Even the "Good Guy" roles he was a Tough guy and from what I've heard not to well liked by a lot of co-workers. But a good actor....

Edited by: fredbaetz on May 16, 2010 2:34 AM

*"Wake Island" Tough Marine holding off Japanese forces at outbreak of WW2*

*"Kiss of Death" tough D.A. with a soft spot for Vic Mature's kids...*

*"Glass Key" Tough Ward Boss who's a real pal of Alan Ladd...*

Fredb,

I am still making my way through Donlevy's films after years of judging him unfairly based on reports of his acting off-screen on *Beau Geste* and *Union Pacific*.

But the films you mentioned, especially the ones above, just went to the top of my must-see list.

Thank you!

Speaking of Alan Ladd, did you see *The Blue Dahlia* tonight?

I missed tonight's showing, but caught it a few weeks ago, One of my favorite Ladd film. It was so much fun when I sat in the "Formosa" Cafe and talked about it with George Marshall. That was the first I heard about William Bendix being the killer, but the Navy didn't want returning vets being made out as a murderer , and Ladd being paranoid about his height and George telling Ladd, "Just look at Jimmy Cagney, he doesn't try to hide the fact he isn't tall. But it didn't work with Ladd" I would love to see the George Raft version, I never saw it.

I was always a fan of Ladd and most of his films in the 40's up to "Shane". I can't remember where I read it but years ago I read that George Stevens wanted Ladd for the role of Jett Rink in "Giant", but Ladd refused because he would have to take third billing after Taylor and Hudson and Stevens said he never forgave Ladd for turning him down and making him work with James Dean.....I know I read it somewhere......

COWBOY is a cute little western. I watched it on a small, black and white TV about 30 years ago. Haven't seen it since. It would be hard to mess this story up. Contrasting characters with common goal. You're right. Lemmon is out of place. That's the point. He wears it well, as the reliable Ford does his part. It's a satisfying film.

Donlevy fans can see him as the lead in IMPACT. A good role in a tight little thriller. Donlevy himself once said of his acting, "I think I stink." To each his own.

Brian Donlevy was in one of my favorites, Command Decision, part of a great cast. And he was in a couple of those classic beach movies from the sixties. I am a little embarrassed to say I have never seen the movie Cowboy, another one of those "one of these days I will" movies on my list.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed, Fred. ... In fact, I think this is an excellent Western, showing some real grit and realism, well before they were accepted in Westerns. The scene where Strother Martin dies from the snake bite and the cowboys are just waiting for him to die is eerie. Also, the layer of mean that Lemmon grows because of his experience speaks volumes. Some might say it's not possible, but I think it works, and I love both Lemmon and Ford. Great supporting cast, too. Beside Donlevy, there's Richard Jaeckel, another fine character actor. Overall, a fine, fine Western.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...