Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chained (1934) Joan Crawford & Clark Gable! Any assessments?

CelluloidKid

Their are still some Joan Crawford films I haven't seen, & i that I'm slowly discovering, & 1 of them is _Chained_ (1934). I'm so glad that I record it.

Thanks TCM for showing this film!!

I have watched _Chained_ so far 3xs. Yes, the Class System of the 1930's is out-dated. (While many of the richest people in America lost money when the stock market crashed, the upper classes as a whole still retained much of the wealth which they had held before the Depression and in most cases did not suffer from unemployment.)

But what a Joan Crawford film. Out of all of Joan's film's from her shopgirl roles ... _Chained_ (1934) is the 1 film that I will stand behind & state this was her moment in the sun!

_Chained_ (1934 was Joan's 5th film with Gable!

The plot concerns a kept woman who finds herself drawn to a charismatic South American rancher while aboard a cruise, all the while still harboring feelings for her married lover back home.

"Chained" is right between "Sadie McKee" and "Forsaking All Others." What a great place to be and what a great place Joan was at that time in her career.

Great cast, good story, bittersweet ending!

*Final Rating: A+!*

chained.jpg

200px-Chainedposter.gif

gable460x276.jpg

*Clark Gable and Joan Crawford 1934 film Chained*

3424461.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=45B0EB3

*circa 1934: American actress Joan Crawford (19?? - 1977) enacts a love scene for the MGM film 'Chained', with leading man Clark Gable (1901 - 1960). Director Clarence Brown (1890 - 1987) watches from the other side of the deck of a studio-built liner. (Photo by Hulton Archive/Getty Images)*

3171525.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=45B0EB3

31st May 1934: American film actress Joan Crawford (19?? - 1977) off set with director Clarence Brown (1890 - 1987) and actor Clark Gable (1901 - 1960) during the filming of 'Chained'. (Photo by Russell Ball/John Kobal Foundation/Getty Images)

I thought the film was O.K., but nothing more.

The best parts were the scenes when Gable and Crawford first met and hit it off. After that, the film tapered off a little in my opinion.

Still, it's a great chance to see two huge stars in their primes, in a relatively short period of time (the film is like barely over an hour long).

I've seen it. The whole Christ-like figure threw me for a loop. Very "strange" indeed.

I think Gable's best on-screen partner was Harlow. They were the opposite-sex version of each other. Both raw and sexy and always spoke their minds and tried to be the dominant partner in a relationship. They were like two animals circling over the same prey in their films together.

Gable and Crawford had good chemistry too. I think they made like 8 films together if I'm not mistaken. I do need to see more of their pairings as I've only seen 3 of their collaborations.

*_Chained_ (1934)*

MGM. 74 minutes. US release: 9/1/34.

VHS release: 12/11/91.

Warner Archive DVD release: 3/23/09.

Cast: Joan Crawford (as "Diane Lovering"), Clark Gable, Otto Kruger, Stuart Irwin, Una O'Connor, Marjorie Gateson, Akim Tamiroff.

Credits: From the story by Edgar Selwyn. Screenplay: John Lee Mahin. Producer: Hunt Stromberg. Director: Clarence Brown. Camera: George Folsey. Costumes: Adrian. Editor: Robert J. Kern.

_Plot Summary_:

Joan Crawford is at her most glamorous (a different outfit and hairdo in each scene!) in the romantic melodrama Chained. Crawford plays Diane Lovering, the mistress of prominent Manhattan businessman Richard Field (Otto Kruger). Though she really isn't in love with him, she feels obligated to marry him when he divorces his wife (Margaret Gateson) for Diane's sake. By the time the divorce is final, Diane has fallen for wealthy South American rancher Mike Bradley (Clark Gable), but, out of loyalty to Field, she abruptly cuts off her relationship with Mike, who does his best to hide his pain. It looks as though both Diane and Mike will continue to suffer stoically until the plot is resolved by the understanding and remarkably generous Field. Clarence Brown's glossy direction helps to make this star vehicle seem more important than it really is. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

_Total Gross_: $1,988,000 ($732,000 profit)

chained.jpg

34chainedflyer1x.jpg