Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE VANISHING AMERICAN (1925) On TCM!

gagman66

:D Wanted to be sure to mention that despite the late or early hour Wednesday morning depending upon your perspective, this is in-fact a TCM premier. What's more it is a debut of a brand new never before seen restoration of the film. So for that matter will be The 1920 *THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS* which will air next week. So set your DVR, or DVD Recorders for these rare broadcasts! While *MOHICANS* in a previous edition has aired before on TCM many years ago, *THE VANISHING AMERICAN* has never been shown in any form before. One of the great Westerns of the Silent Era Starring Richard Dix, Lois Wilson, Noah Beery, and Malcolm McGregor. I hope that both will be repeated at much better air times in the near future. In case they are not, you don't want to miss these in any event.

Here is a note from David Shepard on the productions.

"TCM has licensed THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS, THE VANISHING AMERICAN and THE SILENT ENEMY from us. THE SILENT ENEMY will be the same lovely version as on the long-out-of-print Milestone DVD, while the other two will be all new. MOHICANS is produced in cooperation with the Cinematheque Francaise. It has all the original English titles, original tints and tones, looks exquisite, and is being scored by Mont Alto. I have never seen lovelier silent era cinematography. THE VANISHING AMERICAN is a new transfer from much nicer material than I used years ago for the Image DVD, and the new score by Eric Beheim is perhaps the best one he has ever done. I hope these will also receive a DVD release in the future but that is still uncertain."

D S

TheVanishingAmerican1925VintagePoster1.j

*Wednesday Morning May 19th 4:30 AM EDT/3:30 AM CDT. Vanishing American, The (1925) A Native American man returning from college meets racial intolerance upon returning to his reservation. Cast: Richard Dix, Lois Wilson, Noah Beery, Sr. Dir: George B. Seitz. BW-109 mins, TV-G*

*Wednesday Morning May 25, 3:45 AM EDT/2:45 CDT. Last of the Mohicans, The (1920) In this silent film, an Indian guide tries to help two sisters caught up in the French and Indian War. Cast: Wallace Beery, Barbara Bedford, Alan Roscoe. Dir: Maurice Tourneur, Clarence Brown. BW-73 mins, TV-G*

Oh my god, Jeff! That site is amazing! I haven't got time to read it now, but I am glad they changed the title - it is so much more appropriate as "The Vanishing _American"_

I'll be looking at it more closely later on tonight when I have more time. Thanks!

I just finished watching *THE VANISHING AMERICAN* now. Basically, I missed all the opening credits, but the rest seems to be there. Unfortunately, for the past several days the audio signal on TCM has been muffled, and distorted. I'm sure that's just cable, but I wish that they would get this matter fixed. From what I have seen thus far, Eric Beheim's score is quite loud, and rather frantic, preformed at a very fast pace. Even when the sequence may have called for something a little more subtle. of course it would help if I was hearing the music with a little crisper tone.

The print looks quite good to me. Certainly a considerable improvement over the old Image Entertainment DVD release. There have been some complaints on a few other forums about the Green Cast, and a soft Image. I didn't see it that way. Lo, I need some good photos of Lois Wilson. She looks just lovely in the film. I didn't remember her being quite this pretty.

This is an amazing film. The Prologue with the Cliff-Dwellers and the invading tribe is just extraordinary. The movie definitely deserved a Prime-time premier. Considering the sympathetic eye that it cast on the plight of the Redman, I don't understand why the guest host ignored it? The World War 1 sequence is powerful and very well produced.

Richard Dix was a giant Star in the 20's and 30's, into the early 40's, but his fame has been largely forgotten. It is not generally acknowledged how big a name He really was. Part of this is that the majority of his Silent films were made at Paramount. I hope that this edition will receive a DVD release in the near future. Most likely through Flicker Alley. David Shepard's Film Preservation Associates works with a few other labels though, so it could be issued by someone else. Flicker Alley meantime, has announced the impending DVD release of *CHICAGO (1927)* for July 6th.

Wanted to be sure to mention, *THE BIG PARADE* is now listed on the recently revamped Photoplay Productions Website with a 12 Minute longer running time than before. If taken literally, that's right at an extra reel. Although, TCM hasn't changed it's own listing. I'm wondering about if it's possible that we could see a new transfer with the additional restored footage on Sunday after-all? I still doubt it, as I don't think the time they had listed was correct to start with. But it is an interesting development just the same. Gives me just a slim glimmer of hope.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Oh my god, Jeff! That site is amazing! I haven't got time to read it now, but I am glad they changed the title - it is so much more appropriate as "The Vanishing _American"_

>

I don't think it's a case of the title being changed TO "The Vanishing American" from "The Vanishing Race". The poster with the latter title is Australian, and that's probably the title under which the movie was released in Australia.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> > Oh my god, Jeff! That site is amazing! I haven't got time to read it now, but I am glad they changed the title - it is so much more appropriate as "The Vanishing _American"_

> >

> I don't think it's a case of the title being changed TO "The Vanishing American" from "The Vanishing Race". The poster with the latter title is Australian, and that's probably the title under which the movie was released in Australia.

Thanks, MN. I only quickly glanced at the page yesterday before I wrote that, but when I went back to the site last night, I realized my mistake. That'll teach me to jump to conclusions!

Of course, it was appropriate to change the title for Australian audiences.

• 3 weeks later...

Loved it !!! It was everything I could have hoped for and even more. I'm a huge Richard Dix fan and this is the first silent of his that I've watched. This is one I've always wanted to see and I'm so glad to have a copy now. Being part-Cherokee (Great grandfather - full blood; many other ancestors) it was also very sad at times to see. Just wonderful.

overblue,

Glad that you enjoyed seeing this so. Did you also record *THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS (1920),* and *THE SILENT ENEMY (1929)?* I really enjoyed *THE SILENT ENEMY.* I had not seen it before, and never expected it to be such a outstanding film. Please express your gratitude to TCM Programmer Chuck Tabesh for scheduling these rare films.

I may have a copy of Silent Enemy. It sounds like a good one.

I'll also make sure to thank the programmer at TCM too.

I know I also really enjoyed Souls For Sale which was shown not too long ago.

It seems like there aren't as many silents being shown right now. It would be nice if TCM could have a block on Sunday nights from midnight to 6 am don't you think ???

*SOULS FOR SALE (1923)* is really a patch work. The surviving nitrate was found in Prague in 1978. A re-edited foreign release print, and the Title-cards had to be translated back to English. There was allot of water damage. And chunks of the film were not usable, hence the frequent jump-cuts. The reconstruction, probably doesn't look much like the original domestic version did.