Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Screen Credits

giacomo21

I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking it was Natalie Kalmus who was credited as Technicolor's "color consultant" or "color director" for every film made in the process from 1934-1949 (over 350 credits).

Of course, as we know she was married to Technicolor's founder Herbert Kalmus so many have questioned her actual contributions to the films she oversaw. From what I've read many directors considered her a pain in the butt and dreaded dealing with her. Regardless, I can't think of anybody who could come close to that number of credits.

> {quote:title=giacomo21 wrote:}{quote}

> Can anyone think of who may have more screen credits than Cedric Gibbons??

>

> Douglas Shearer or maybe Adrian but I really don't think anyone tops Cedric.

Gibbons was like every other Big Studio department head: their contracts stipulated that their names appear on every film the studio released (and, at an average of about 45 films a year, it added up pretty quickly over the course of Gibbons' thirty-five-year MGM career), though their associates and subordinates typically did most of the work. Just because Gibbons's name was in the credits doesn't mean that he did much more than sign off on others' concepts. To be fair -- or more unfair -- though, he also had his choice as to the films in which he took a more active role, and with someone like Gibbons it was obviously MGM's biggest, super-"A" productions.

> {quote:title=Mogul-o-maniac wrote:}{quote} Just because Gibbons's name was in the credits doesn't mean that he did much more than sign off on others' concepts.

How true. Many times, especially in smaller and later films, below Gibbons' credit was a credit for his "Associate".Most likely that was the person who really did all the work.

Hey all

Thanks for response's ! I have been disabled/out of work/trapped in the house

for over 3 year's now. I watch TCM and PBS (no commercials) Am always looking at the credits

and find myself hoping to see Cedric's name in every movie..LOL...Maybe I am going crazy!

OK . . . I might cause some controversy and debate with this list of mine. As far as I know and the research I?ve done, I believe my list is accurate. It goes as follows:

You may not believe it, but John ?Duke? Wayne is credited with the highest for an American leading actor in a motion picture at 142 screen credits.

The important overall record in Hollywood is held by none other than Mel Blanc at a record 709 films.

This finally leads to the all time record holder and this is where things get somewhat touchy in that most fans, at least in the Western World don?t know actor Adoor Bhasi, a famed Indian actor of Bollywood. He has appeared in at least a calculated 549 feature films as a star. It?s often said that because there are countless, I repeat, countless films made each year in Bollywood, there is still much speculation that other actors may hold the overall screen-credit record.

Here in the U.S., there is trouble with this subject, because the early part of American Cinema was not so well governed to the point of any sort of accurate count on the amount of work any personnel may have done; in other words the records can?t be so easily verified. We might have to surmise that this list for most screen credits is virtually impossible to reach a plausible conclusion. This leads to another controversial point relating to Cecil Gibbons in that his name was used symbolically to the point that it didn?t really mean he worked on any of the films that listed his name. He was simply an overseer most of the time as the studio?s art director. If this record is to be conclusive, it must mean that the person actually did the work.

> finance wrote:

> But how many of those 142 credits were for leading roles?

All leading roles, as early as the 1930s, when he began his work in low-budget "quickie" westerns. You see, Duke is the only major star from classic Hollywood, whose record on screen appeances stems from his early beginnings as _the_ _lead_ _role_ or actor in the film. This is regardless of whether or not the film was a major production. He holds the record, simply because he covered every part of the business, working at small, independent studios and then the majors.

>finance wrote:

> I wonder which actor or actress has the most credits for leading roles in "A" films.

>

If you mean American films, well again, this is very difficult to pinpoint. The list keeps constantly changing! Everytime a new listing is posted, somebody comes along and says they have new information on the subject. What happens is that there are so many variations on this record of screen appearances that makes the situation not have a defining factor. If the definition is to be centered around just somebody's name up on the screen, then it's a matter what what information would be considered credible. But, technically there has never been any positive, conclusive proof as to who this one person might really be! Considering that some film historians like to go as far back as the silent era and we're talking about the early part of the 20th Century, things get a little crazy, if not confusing! So, at this point I have to say that it's anybody's guess on the issue of leading roles in "A" films.

I?m confident on my devotion towards Duke Wayne holding the overall record for a Hollywood star getting top billing in any sort of film. So far, it?s been estimated that Duke probably appeared in 250 films during his lifetime, but even then, this can?t be so easily verified, since he worked nonstop at studios that are today forgotten. So far, most film historians tend to agree that the number of 250 films is close, with at least nearly half that number as Duke being the lead performer! After all, during his early career in the movie business, he made one film per week as the lead! Some of these films are now lost and have yet to be recovered, but are documented in various chronicles of the movie business.

If I give myself the time, I might want to track down my opinion on what classic star in America appeared in more ?A? films than any other. I do have an opinion, but once again I can?t be so sure if my choice is correct or even close to it; so I?ll hold off for now and do some research or ask around before I?ll be so bold. The only one I?ll stand up for is ?Duke,? because I know the consensus is in his favor.

Ok, while I decided to do some research for a movie star ?A? list appearance candidate, I realized something! In Hollywood, it?s usually agreed that for most screen appearances, this record should be given to Oliver Hardy! It?s now estimated his record at around 400 to 412 films throughout his lifetime or motion picture career. Of course, this stems from his early years in silent movies, going all the way to his legendary partnership with Stan Laurel. While I might agree with this designation, there are others who will say it isn't Ollie! Oh well, so much for such indecision.

I'm glad this came up. I'm not a big fan of Wayne, and I don't know much about him. I had assumed that, prior to STAGECOACH, most of his roles were supportimg roles in "A" movies, rather than leads in low-budget Westerns. I know he had a very small role in BABY FACE.

Edited by: finance on May 21, 2010 2:47 PM