Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inverted color and shadow scenes?

SansFin

The opening credits of a television show is the camera pulling back as girl is walking. What is beautiful is upward figure is shadowy grey and downward figure which would normally be the shadow is in full color. (It is a program on televsion in Japan. You have most likely never heard of it.)

I think it is very special because it is unique and makes very strong statement about the lives of the girls in the series.

I have now been told it is not unique. They tell me it is standard technique used in many movies.

I can think of times with reflections being the focus of scene while the character is unclear. I cannot think of any movie with such stark inversion of color and shadow.

Is it common? Can someone please tell me names of movies which uses this technique?

That sounds awesome. It would say to me immediately that this girl's real life is in shadows and hidden, but she is continually followed by the real person she hides.. Great character premise! I can't recall that being used that effectively here, though. Maybe someone else could enlighten us. I would not be surprised if some silent filmmaker did this. It would be a great device in the silent era.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> That sounds awesome. It would say to me immediately that this girl's real life is in shadows and hidden, but she is continually followed by the real person she hides.. Great character premise!

That is what I find very powerful. It is much more moving for acting on two layers.

1 - A government agency uses young girls because they are as if invisible to criminals and terrorists which are afraid of being watched, followed or overheard. The girls can be very close without raising suspicions. The shadow is how they are unnoticed. The color is what they can do.

2 - The agency choses girls going to die if they do not receive massive medical rebuilding of their bodies. The process causes a kind of amnesia. They know nothing of their life before the agency rescued them. The shadow is how their work is very plain and simple. They are taken to a place and told to do a thing. They do it and are taken back. The color is their personalities are so very different. One feels like she is her handler's little sister. Another is her handler's work dog. One spends all her time reading after her handler dies.

I am looking for movie which uses such visual technique. I feel it must also work on many levels. It would have to be very powerful movie.