Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AUGUST 2010 SUMMER UNDER THE STARS PROGRAM SCHEDULE

thomasterryjr

Sneak Preview!!!!!

The dog days of summer are the best time of the year for movie fans as they turn on the air conditioning and park themselves on the couch for the latest edition of Turner Classic Movies? (TCM) ultimate movie star showcase: SUMMER UNDER THE STARS. Now in its eighth year, the August festival dedicates each of its 31 days to one of Hollywood?s most enduring actors and actresses. Assembled from the network?s library of more than 5,000 films, this one-of-a-kind festival is an opportunity for viewers to enjoy a varied selection from each star?s body of work, uncut and commercial free.

Fourteen of the month?s actors and actresses featured in this year?s SUMMER UNDER THE STARS are first-timers to the festival. The memorable performers include five Oscar? winners: Julie Christie (Aug. 2), Ethel Barrymore (Aug. 4), Margaret O?Brien (Aug. 8), Warren Beatty (Aug. 9) and John Mills (Aug. 22). Other stars getting their first showcases include Woody Strode (Aug. 5), Kathryn Grayson (Aug. 10), Gene Tierney (Aug. 14), Robert Stack (Aug. 17), Ann Sheridan (Aug. 18), Walter Pidgeon (Aug. 19), John Gilbert (Aug. 24), Lee Remick (Aug. 26) and Thelma Todd (Aug. 30).

This year?s SUMMER UNDER THE STARS also features 52 films making their first appearances on TCM during the festival, including I Was Monty?s Double(1958), starring John Mills and M.E. Clifton-James, who really was General Montgomery?s double during World War II; Richard Lester?s decade-defining film Petulia (1968), with Julie Christie and George C. Scott; the film adaptation of Joe Orton?s frantic play Loot (1970) and the concert-piano drama The Competition (1980), both starring Lee Remick; Richard Rush?s incisive black comedy The Stunt Man (1980), with Peter O?Toole in a brilliant performance; an extensive collection of early comedies featuring Thelma Todd; and the Hope-and-Crosby-style comedy Ishtar (1987), with Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman.

Wow! John Gilbert finally got his day! Impressive? Wonder if we will see anything new on that day? Perhaps TWELVE MILES OUT, or THE COSSACKS? More likely to be MONTE CRISTO is there are any premiers, or a couple sound films that haven't been shown before.

Just hope that they run THE BIG PARADE at a decent hour. Hopefully, in Prime-time? Maybe the new restoration at last? With any luck it won't be all talkies during the Prime-time hours.

Kudos to Chuck Tabesh for honoring the great John Gilbert!

*"Other stars getting their first showcases include Woody Strode (Aug. 5)..."*

There is a gaggle of girls going goofy about now learning this.

*"The memorable performers include five Oscar? winners:{...} Margaret O?Brien (Aug. 8)"*

Now THAT is going to be well received by someone I know.

*...Margaret O?Brien (Aug. 8)...Now THAT is going to be well received by someone I know.* - Kyle

I'm speechless! Not really, just thrilled beyond belief. And it's on a Sunday to boot! Thank you so much, TCM! :-) :-) :-)

> Great to see a number of new stars being honored. I am particularly happy to see Lee Remick get a day. I guess my other choice, Richard Widmark, will have to wait another year.

Widmark was honored on August 11, 2008, as TCM showed 12 of his movies:

6:00 AM *The Long Ships*

8:30 AM *The Law and Jake Wade*

10:00 AM *The Cobweb*

12:30 PM *A Prize of Gold*

2:30 PM *Time Limit*

4:30 PM *Run For the Sun*

6:15 PM *Flight From Ashiya*

8:00 PM *Pickup on South Street*

9:30 PM *Take the High Ground*

11:30 PM *Alvarez Kelly*

1:30 AM *The Way West*

4:00 AM *Coma*

*Pickup on South Street* was, I'm pretty certain, a TCM premiere, although it's aired again since.

>>Woody Strode? Fantastic!!

A great idea, but here's my fear. I'm willing to bet that ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST will be one of the titles, but he has only ten minutes of screen time. It's like the time that they had an Alan Ladd day and used CITIZEN KANE in which he had two lines and was hidden in shadow.

It would be nice if the day could include BLACK JESUS or even THE LAST REBEL (third-billing) in which Strode had considerable screen time. Granted they might not be as prestigious a title, but at least in the former he had the lead.

>>Out of the list so far, Ann Sheridan is probably the most exciting (for me!).

I'd have to agree. I think that she could do just about anything but there was a line ahead of her at Warners so in some ways she got the short end of it.

Please let WOMAN ON THE RUN be one of the titles used.

*"Some news is always exciting as this is. But who is the source for this partial information? Is it someone in the "know" at TCM?"*

Well, the piece posted by 'audreyforever' is written like a typical TCM Press Release - but I can't find it online.

Certain titles and names correspond to names/titles mentioned for "The Essentials" on Saturdays and "Essentials,Jr." on Sundays in August - though the dates are off a bit.

Essentials, Jr titles on Sundays In August

Aug. 1 The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939)

Aug. 8 Road to Morocco (1942)

Aug. 15 The Secret Garden (1949)

Aug. 22 Swiss Family Robinson (1960)

Aug. 29 Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)

Which would likely mean -

Aug. 1 - Basil Rathbone

Aug. 8 - (Hope or Crosby)

Aug. 15 - Margaret O'Brien

Aug. 22 - John Mills

Aug, 30 - ???? (Henry Fonda was last year. Hmmm.)

Essentials Titles on Saturdays in August

(As originaly announced but subject to change)

Aug. 7 - The Sea Hawk

Aug. 14 - Leave Her To Heaven

Aug. 21 - The Sting

Aug. 28 - Lawrence Of Arabia

Which means one can probably add the names

Aug. 7 - Errol Flynn (Claude Rains was last year)

Aug. 14 - Gene Tierney

Aug. 21 - Redford or Newman

Aug. 28 - Peter O'Toole (hence, "The Stunt Man")

I think there is some adjustment to what Essentials, Jr. titles are showing on which Sunday in August (swapping the 8th and the 15th perhaps.) but from what I've read, it all seems like the info is legitimate.

Now I'm crossing my fingers that we get a Ward Bond day instead of a return of Henry Fonda to SUTS.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on May 22, 2010 7:32 PM

I think it's great that they're adding Woody Strode. He is one of my favorites. And I am so happy about Ann Sheridan, too!

I hope this is true! But I can't seem to find the press release, either.

I'm happy they've added Walter Pidgeon and Ethel Barrymore.

*"I hope this is true! But I can't seem to find the press release, either."* - SueSueApplegate-crasher (Kidding ya!)

'Audreyforever' wasn't leading anyone astray. I found it at the "MovieNews" section here -

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=319806

Also found info about Robert Osborne hosting a night at the Hollywood Bowl this summer dedicated to "The Music Of 20th Century Fox". Lots of Alfred Newman, I'm sure. But I think hearing "Street Scene" by the Bowl Orchestra would wonderful.

Kyle In Hollywood

*I can't imagine what Lynn will do.*

Chief,

That amazing yell you heard from 500 miles north, that was me yelling my joy at Woody Strode being included in *SUTS*.

*"That amazing yell you heard from 500 miles north, that was me yelling my joy at Woody Strode being included in SUTS."* - lzcutter

Oh. Was that you? I thought the neighbors' love-making was getting out of hand again.

I knew you'd be thrilled.

Kyle In Hollywood