Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AUGUST 2010 SUMMER UNDER THE STARS PROGRAM SCHEDULE

*"Just hope that they run THE BIG PARADE at a decent hour. Hopefully, in Prime-time?"* - gagman66

Well, it is on tomorrow at 9pm out here. It is the one "perk" for us west-coasters that Silent Sundays are "early" out here. We miss seeing so many "premieres" that run at 5pm Pacific time.

Also check out the new June edition of "Now Playing: The Show" running in the half-hour before *The Big Parade* tomorrow night. Nice to see that showing during an evening rather than in the middle of the night.

Kyle In Hollywood

Somewhere on the message board someone had listed all of the previous stars honored during the August Summer Under The Stars. I can't seem to find it, can someone relist the previous honorees or direct me to the old posting. I have always thought Richard Widmark hasn't yet been honored, but it looks like I'm wrong about that.

hlywdkjk,

I'm gratified that THE BIG PARADE isn't pushed back another half hour and will start on time this Sunday. As I mentioned elsewhere, THE BIG PARADE is now listed on the recently re-vamped Photoplay Productions Website with a 12 minute longer running time than it was before?

If taken literally, that's right at an extra reel. Although, TCM hasn't changed it's own listing. I'm wondering about if it's possible that we could see a new transfer with the additional restored footage on Sunday after-all? I still doubt it, as I don't think the time they had listed was correct to start with. But it is an interesting development just the same. Gives me just a slim glimmer of hope. In other words, Be prepared.

While TCM did run the Thames Silents version last Memorial Day, they have not run THE BIG PARADE on Silent Sunday's since May of 2004. That's a full 6 years. If you missed it a year ago on late Monday night, early Tuesday morning, here is your chance to catch this unforgettable picture at last. With any luck far more people will get to see it than did last Memorial Day this time around, when it didn't air until 1:15 AM on a Monday if I remember correctly? And that ws at the end of whole extended weekend of War Movies.

If nothing else, Photoplay Productions might have provided a new NTSC broadcast master to TCM just as they had done with their versions of ORPHANS OF THE STORM and THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA back in late 2008. The rather dubious sounding 126 Minute list time TCM has posted though can't be correct, because THE BIG PARADE is well over Two Hours long in the Thames Silents version, not just Six minutes over. The brand new list time from Photoplay is now 138 Minutes, but the 2004 Warner Brothers/George Eastman House restoration was supposed to be 149 Minutes. So all very confusing. I still don't expect to see anything new. But maybe by November with any luck we will? All we can do is hope.

I wish that Warner Home Video would put out a "Greatest Classic Films Collection "The Silents" DVD set Maybe the first volume consisting of THE BIG PARADE, OLD HEIDELBERG, TELL IT TO THE MARINES, and SHOW PEOPLE. How is that for a thought?

http://www.photoplay.co.uk/film_pages/bigp.html

*Somewhere on the message board someone had listed all of the previous stars honored during the August Summer Under The Stars. I can't seem to find it, can someone relist the previous honorees or direct me to the old posting. I have always thought Richard Widmark hasn't yet been honored, but it looks like I'm wrong about that.*

MrRoberts,

That was probably my post you are looking for:

Here is a list of the *SUTS* from 2003 through 2009 (if someone has a list of 2010 please post it and I will add it to my database):

SUMMER UNDER THE STARS:

*Aug. 2003:*

James Stewart, Clint Eastwood, Peter O'Toole, Joan Crawford, Fred Astaire, Robert Mitchum, James Cagney, Elizabeth Taylor, Cary Grant, Jack Lemmon, Frank Sinatra, Greta Garbo, Gary Cooper, Charlton Heston, Katherine Hepburn, Steve McQueen, Gene Kelly, Marlene Dietrich, Gregory Peck, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland, Clark Gable, John Wayne, Myrna Loy, Kirk Douglas, Lana Turner, Bette Davis, Spencer Tracy, Paul Newman, Doris Day, William Holden.

*August 2004:*

John Wayne, Barbara Stanwyck, Bob Hope, Debbie Reynolds, Sidney Poitier, Lucille Ball, Katherine Hepburn, Clint Eastwood, Ava Gardner, Henry Fonda, Jean Harlow, Laurence Olivier, Doris Day, Humphrey Bogart, Burt Lancaster, Elvis Presley, Elizabeth Taylor, Edward G. Robinson, Bette Davis, Peter Sellers, James Stewart, Olivia de Havilland, Ginger Rogers, Charles Chaplin, Shirley MacLaine, Claudette Colbert, Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Esther Williams, Kirk Douglas.

*August 2005:*

Lauren Bacall, James Cagney, Joel McCrea, Alec Guinness, Katharine Hepburn, John Wayne, Judy Garland, Shelley Winters, Ray Milland, Lena Horne, Kirk Douglas, Jane Wyman, Cary Grant, Glenn Ford, Fred Astaire, Donna Reed, James Garner, Irene Dunne, Marlon Brando, James Stewart, Maureen O'Hara, Joan Crawford, Basil Rathbone, Sophia Loren, Norma Shearer, Randolph Scott, Spencer Tracy, William Holden, Constance Bennett, Deborah Kerr, Humphrey Bogart

*August 2006*:

Angela Lansbury, Groucho Marx, Susan Hayward, Gregory Peck, Humphrey Bogart, Doris Day, Nurt Lancaster, Claire Trevor, Jane Powell, John Garfield, Katherine Hepburn, Rock Hudson, Walter Matthau, Lana Turner, Richard Dix, Joseph Cotten, Carole Lombard, Bela Lugosi, Audrey Hepburn, Lee Marvin, David Niven, Rita Hayworth,Van Johnson, Ann Sothern, James Stewart, Cary Grant, John Wayne, Hedy Lamarr, Ingrid Bergman, Sidney Poitier, Barbara Stanwyck.

*August 2007:*

Elizabeth Taylor, Peter O?Toole, Joan Crawford, William Holden, James Stewart, Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy, Vincent Price, Doris Day, Alan Ladd, June Allyson, Ernest Borgnine, Joan Bennett, Elvis Presley, Maureen O?Hara, Spencer Tracy, Errol Flynn, Rosalind Russell, Gary Cooper, Ann Miller, Jane Fonda, Ronald Reagan, Broderick Crawford, Kirk Douglas, Loretta Young, Roy Rogers, Mary Astor, Buster Keaton, Sean Connery.

*August 2008:*

Michael Caine, Charlie Chaplin, Gregory Peck, Marie Dressler, Claude Rains, Anne Bancroft, Greta Garbo, James Garner, Fred MacMurray, Doris Day, Richard Widmark, Kim Novak, Peter Lorre, Greer Garson, Rita Hayworth, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Jack Palance, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson, Ava Gardner, Trevor Howard, Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy, Henry Fonda, Ingrid Bergman, Janet Leigh, Tony Curtis, Charlton Heston, Marlon Brando, Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy.

*August 2009:*

Henry Fonda, James Mason, Marion Davies, James Coburn, Harold Lloyd, Judy Garland, Glenn Ford, Bette Davis, Cary Grant, Dirk Bogarde, Audrey Hepburn, Clark Gable, Gloria Grahame, Sidney Poitier, Deborah Kerr, Elvis Presley, Jennifer Jones, John Wayne, Red Skelton, Miriam Hopkins, Gene Hackman, Sterling Hayden, Angela Lansbury, Fredric March, Merle Oberon, Yul Brynner, Ida Lupino, Frank Sinatra, Peter Sellers, Jean Arthur, Claire Bloom

> {quote:title=cody1949 wrote:}{quote}

> In regards to John Mills in the August lineup I would love to see THE FAMILY WAY and TIGER BAY both with daughter, Hayley.

I am hoping for at least one movie with his daughter Hayley too (I only recently realized he was her father)

I am also hoping for In Which We Serve because I loved it last time I saw it but didn't get to record it at the time.

Hobson's Choice would also be nice, okay now I am getting greedy. :)

Jesus Jiminy, for Pete's sake...what's with all this yelling and screaming I'm hearing. C'mon on now, get a grip. Rah Rah! The August Schedule, more moaning and whining about who gets to

report it first and...

What? I'm sorry...who? Woody... Allen, Van Dyke, Woodpecker. They're good but...

Ohhhh, Strode. Woody Strode.

WOODY STRODE?

Now, that's a different kettle of --fish-- MAN!!!

W - O - O - D - Y

S - T - R - O - D - E ? ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wendy,

Hey, based on this comment by Richard May, We could actually be seeing the new version of *THE BIG PARADE* tonight! Or at least a brand new tinted print with the same Carl Davis score. Please spread the word!

*"When I supervised the restoration at WB in 2004 we used the original negative housed at Geo. Eastman House. Photoplay was supplied with a new print from this restoration, with original tinting reproduced based on the cutting continuity from the MGM editorial files."-Richard P. May*

So Thelma Todd is getting her own tribute on August 30sth???AWESOME!!!

Here's hoping that TCM will air the Hal Roach shorts with Pitts and Kelly and the shorts she starred with Charley Chase...And let's hope that TCM will "FINALLY"(and I do mean "FINALLY")air the rare silent feature SEVEN FOOTPRINTS TO SATAN. that stars Todd, considering that TCM was supposed to air this film a couple of time and both times the film was yanked from the schedule.This would be great on TCM's part and make it up to the viewers to air this film on her 24 hour tribute.

A day of Thelma Todd atones for a lot of sins. I don't know how many of her silents survive, but it would be nice to see SEVEN FOOTPRINTS TO SATAN, TRIAL MARRIAGE and THE BACHELOR GIRL. For talkies, I'm hoping for DECEPTION (Columbia), HIPS, HIPS, HOORAY! (RKO) and THE POOR RICH (Universal).

*A day of Thelma Todd atones for a lot of sins.* - PS

Whose sins would that be? Most people here thanked TCM for their particular favorites. You chose to insult TCM once again. Classy, as usual.

> {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

> *A day of Thelma Todd atones for a lot of sins.* - PS

>

> Whose sins would that be? Most people here thanked TCM for their particular favorites. You chose to insult TCM once again. Classy, as usual.

I suggest patful change her moniker to hateful...either way, she's on ignore.