Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Long thought lost "Helen's Babies" finally released.

hamradio

A long since thought lost silent starring the child actress Baby Peggy (Peggy Montgomery) "Helen's Babies" (1924) has been released to public domain. I just got a copy and its in fairly good shape and I think its all intact along with the nitrate decomp. The movie also stars the famous silent actress Clara Bow.

This shows that movies that are thought forever lost, do once in a blue moon pop up. This must have been in the hands of a collector - thank goodness.

It has an organ score.

Can TCM show public domain movies? If its possible, it would make a nice "Silent Sunday Night" feature.

Ham,

I've heard of *HELEN'S BABIES* but have never seen it before.

Another movie with Clara Bow made prior to her Paramount days that is a must find is *THE KEEPER OF THE BEE'S (FBO, 1925).* Not sure what Clara's part was, but this was a hugely popular movie. Actually, ranking in the year end October 1926 poll as the Number 1 film of that year according to Exhibitors Herald Magazine. It was released I believe in September of 1925. Here is a lobby-card to another film with Clara Bow from 1924 that might be out there someplace. Oddly enough released through Warner Brothers.

PHOTO_8887544_66470_8093159_main.jpg

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> A long since thought lost silent starring the child actress Baby Peggy (Peggy Montgomery) "Helen's Babies" (1924) has been released to public domain. I just got a copy and its in fairly good shape and I think its all intact along with the nitrate decomp.

>

When was HELEN'S BABIES "thought to be forever lost"? I saw it at Cinefest on March 9, 1996 and I know of a few video copies that have been around since the 1980's.

But it's a great one and I'm glad it's still getting around!

Thanks for this revalation. Whoever had the video copy kept it to themselves. I've searched high and low on the internet for the past 5 years and NO ONE had it. IMDB even had no references to it ever being released. Grapevine Video had to my knowledge the only surviving Baby Peggy films and even they couldn't obtain "Helen's Babies".

I was told the videos they had were the only known surviving films, "Captain January", "Family Secret" and "April Fool" (she had only a small role in it) and 90% of everything else was considered lost.

It was rumored during the past couple of years that someone was restoring it but passed on but I couldn't get any info.

If this film wasn't lost like you stated, then it was kept out of sight - way out of sight!

You are very lucky if you saw a theatrical print, where did they got it?

The video I have has a "Videobrary ®" watermark in the bottom right corner.

Do you know of any other of her survivng films? Could there be a chance that the other Clara Bow films i.e."The Keeper of the Bees" be out there and no one is sharing?

Ham,

As for the film being kept out of sight. Well, about 70 to 75% I would say of all surviving Silent films are kept way out of sight. So this isn't to unusual.

Clara Bow's overall survival rate is pretty good. Although, the loss of all four of her 1928 Paramount features is devastating. Especially, LADIES OF THE MOB. Also the 1926 feature THE RUNAWAY.These might be sitting on a shelf somewhere and the titles are not resonating with people.

Videobrary released a bunch of really rare stuff on VHS back in the late 90's. Several long unseen Marion Davies films among them that no one else has ever offered. Don't know if they ever marketed DVD-R's? I don't think the company is still around anymore?

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks for this revalation. Whoever had the video copy kept it to themselves. I've searched high and low on the internet for the past 5 years and NO ONE had it. IMDB even had no references to it ever being released. Grapevine Video had to my knowledge the only surviving Baby Peggy films and even they couldn't obtain "Helen's Babies".

>

> I was told the videos they had were the only known surviving films, "Captain January", "Family Secret" and "April Fool" (she had only a small role in it) and 90% of everything else was considered lost.

>

> It was rumored during the past couple of years that someone was restoring it but passed on but I couldn't get any info.

>

> If this film wasn't lost like you stated, then it was kept out of sight - way out of sight!

> You are very lucky if you saw a theatrical print, where did they got it?

>

> The video I have has a "Videobrary ®" watermark in the bottom right corner.

>

> Do you know of any other of her survivng films? Could there be a chance that the other Clara Bow films i.e."The Keeper of the Bees" be out there and no one is sharing?

>

I knew about the video copy sold by Videobrary but I don't know what print he used for his copy. And I have no idea whose print was shown at Cinefest back in 1996. So I'm sure there are a few prints out there. I believe The Library of Congress also has a copy of the film.

I'm not really an expert on what survives of Baby Peggy's other films. A friend of mine has a good print of "Captain January". I'm sure there must be people who are more familiar with her films and who know what else is out there. There are probably Baby Peggy sites or Fan Clubs who are also on top of that kind of info.

One film of hers that I'm very familiar with is a 1932 comedy short she made as a come-back at age 14. I don't think it's bad, but she said that when she saw it new in the theater she "hid under the seat in embarrassment." She says she hasn't seen it since then. I'm sending her a copy...I hope she'll feel a bit better about it seeing it again after all these years. After all, at her age now I'd hate to have her hiding under the seat again!

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

>

> Videobrary released a bunch of really rare stuff on VHS back in the late 90's. Several long unseen Marion Davies films among them that no one else has ever offered. Don't know if they ever marketed DVD-R's? I don't think the company is still around anymore?

>

The guy who ran Videobrary is still around. I still see him occasionally. But I don't believe he's been in the video business for several years now.