Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Faces of 1954

Thanks for your response. I looked at Fox Movie Channel, and they don't have it. The real title is New Faces. But I do know that Turner Classic Movies has an extensive library of Twentieth Century-Fox films from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and maybe beyond. I searched for the title on this site, and, evidently, the film is NOT available. You can buy it, but I understand from Amazon that the print is not a restored one.

*But I do know that Turner Classic Movies has an extensive library of Twentieth Century-Fox films from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and maybe beyond.*

Tyrone,

Welcome to the forums. Just wanted to let you know that TCM doesn't have an extensive library of Fox films. They have to rent/lease all the films they air. It is only in the last couple of years that Fox has begun working more with TCM and opening up their vaults (because Fox owns most of their own films) thus allowing TCM to rent/lease more films from that studio.

*TCM's library consists mostly of MGM and Warner films. I believe they also now own (correct me if I'm wrong) some Columbia and Paramount films.*

They no longer own a film library. Their film library was part of the merge that Ted Turner did with Time-Warner back in the late 1990s. That library of pre-1986 MGM titles, pre-1949 Warners and the RKO library is now under the supervision of Warners Home Video.

TCM has to rent all the films it shows. They have deals in place with Warners, Fox, Sony (for use of Columbia's film library titles), Universal, Paramount, Disney and other studios and distributors.

But they don't own any of those films, they rent/lease them for airing.

I think the only films TCM owns are the six RKO titles that were not part of the RKO library and which were shown on TCM a few years back and are in rotation on the channel.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote} They no longer own a film library....TCM has to rent all the films it shows.

Hope you don't mind if I expand on that.

When Ted Turner owned all those films, TCM had virtually unlimited use of them anytime it wanted. Now that it has to rent every film, those deals with the studios are not for unlimited runs or open-ended.

Each contract is for a limited number showings, sometimes just a couple or sometimes many, over specific length of time, maybe just a few months or maybe several years. That's why certain titles seem to be on often and others are shown once or twice and vanish off the schedule.

At the end of the contracts, the studios may put the films up for bid again and sometimes TCM gets outbid. That explains why many films shown on TCM, in the past, can't be shown now. A good example is the classic Universal Horror films. Since TCM ran them a few years ago it appears that Universal has been shopping them around every couple of years because they've been shown on several channels.

I don't think many folks know how complicated the whole process is.

The film the O.P. is asking about should be New Faces, a 1954 CinemaScope production of the New Faces of 1952 revue. I have a 20-something-year-old VHS of the film, and that version and (I think) both DVD versions on Amazon are full-screen presentations. I don't think FMC has ever shown the film. The rights may have reverted to the producer, Alson Productions, so Fox may not even own the film anymore. That might explain why it was released by other companies on VHS and DVD.

> {quote:title=danthemoviefan wrote:}{quote}

> The film the O.P. is asking about should be New Faces, a 1954 CinemaScope production of the New Faces of 1952 revue. I have a 20-something-year-old VHS of the film, and that version and (I think) both DVD versions on Amazon are full-screen presentations. I don't think FMC has ever shown the film. The rights may have reverted to the producer, Alson Productions, so Fox may not even own the film anymore. That might explain why it was released by other companies on VHS and DVD.

>

Dan is correct.

"New Faces" was distributed by 20th Century-Fox, but not produced by them. So it has never been available to television in movie packages of 20th Century-Fox Pictures. And so it has not been shown on Fox Movie Channel.

I'm not sure about its video / DVD or theatrical rights status, but as usual from me, here's more than you needed to know about its TV history:

Starting in June 1965 it was offered to TV by Official Films, then in August 1974 it became available separately by a distributor called Straightened Out at Last. Then in the 1980's it was not available to TV at all, and that still seems to be the situation.