Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hollywood vacation

loralie5974

There is a short film that Ben Mankiewitz makes with a friend of his, where the two of them are driving up a popular street in Hollywood. They talk about places to go, then they stop in at a popular resturant. I want to know the name of the resturant. The only thing I know about Hollywood are what I see in old movies or on I love Lucy reruns. Seems Schwabs drug store is long closed, The Brown Derby is not there anymore, and Cerios, where Lucy gets a match book, is now I think a comedy club. My sister and I are planning a trip to Hollywood, California. I would like to visit some of the "old" places I know, and this place may be the only one left. We also plan to take the bus through Beverly Hills to see the star's homes. Can anyone suggest some other places? We do not know when we are going yet, I am just making my list of places to go. Thanks

Ok, and it is accross the street from one of the studios, right? Everybody goes there, right? Sounds great! If anyone else has suggestions of places to go, let me know. I want to go shopping on Rodeo Drive, too, but will probably find it too expensive. But I figure at least I can say I was there, once.

*There is a short film that Ben Mankiewitz makes with a friend of his, where the two of them are driving up a popular street in Hollywood. They talk about places to go, then they stop in at a popular resturant. I want to know the name of the resturant.*

Ben and Tom Brown visit two restaurants in Hollywood. One is the Formosa Cafe (also seen in *LA Confidential* ). It is located on Santa Monica Blvd just west of La Brea Avenue. It is right in front of the Warner Hollywood studio (and was once the Fairbanks lot in the silent days).

The other place they visit is Musso and Frank's which is the oldest eatery on Hollywood Blvd.

*Seems Schwabs drug store is long closed, The Brown Derby is not there anymore, and Cerios, where Lucy gets a match book, is now I think a comedy club.*

Schwabs Drug Store has been gone for over 20 years. Ciro's became the Comedy Store back in the 1960s and is located on Sunset Blvd.

*My sister and I are planning a trip to Hollywood, California. I would like to visit some of the "old" places I know, and this place may be the only one left.*

There are still plenty of historic places around Hollywood and around the City of Angels. Check out this thread that I created for people interested in seeing historic sites:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=152178&tstart=15

Back in the ?70s I lived in the Valley and I worked in an office on Sunset Boulevard, just over into the unincorporated county area (which I think now is called West Hollywood).

Anyway, I ate at some small cafes near a few studios back then and I saw some faces in them that I had seen in old movies. Nobody famous, but faces I remembered from films. There was one right across the street from Paramount, across from the same old gate that Norma Desmond entered in ?Sunset Boulevard?.

Sometimes the workers at the studios (actors, directors, executives) just walk across the street during lunch break and go to the little caf? nearest their studio. There is almost always a little caf? near the studios, so you might consider eating at those places if you are anywhere near a studio at lunch time.

Another time I stopped at a little caf? across from Warner Brothers in North Hollywood, and I overheard some old executives talking about different actors. I don?t know who he guys were, maybe famous or maybe not, but one of them told a story of how he was working on a Lana Turner film when they were shooting in Hawaii. He said that Lana went to the gift shop of an expensive hotel and bought a $5,000 mink coat and put the bill on her hotel bill, which the studio was paying for. He said he had to argue with her about the $5,000 bill when they got back home, but she got to keep the coat. I don?t remember if she had to pay back the money or not.

That is sooo cool! My sister and I are planing a trip in the future and You all have left some of the coolest stories! Thanks to everyone who has posted here. It makes me want to go out there sooner. I just wish I had the finances for it. But we are working on it. Thanks again.