Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

?Border Incident? to air June 30, ?10


FredCDobbs
 Share

Recommended Posts

8:30 AM Eastern time, June 30, 2010

 

Border Incident (1949)

 

Police try to crack down on the illegal immigration racket. Cast: Ricardo Montalban, George Murphy, Howard da Silva. Dir: Anthony Mann. BW-96 mins, TV-PG, CC

 

--------------------

 

Ok, how appropriate.

 

Anyone having any opinions about the new Arizona law?

 

Edited by: FredCDobbs on May 24, 2010 2:25 PM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> 8:30 AM Eastern time, June 30, 2010

>

> Border Incident (1949)

>

> Police try to crack down on the illegal immigration racket. Cast: Ricardo Montalban, George Murphy, Howard da Silva. Dir: Anthony Mann. BW-96 mins, TV-PG, CC

 

Great movie, but very unpleasant. George Murphy and farm equipment don't mix.

 

> Anyone having any opinions about the new Arizona law?

 

Yes. It is idiotic. You're referring to the law which requires license plate frames not to cover the word "Arizona?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

>

> Anyone having any opinions about the new Arizona law?

>

 

Do you mean the law banning the teaching of Latino, or African American, literature or culture courses in public schools? That one seems unconstitutional to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> >

> > Anyone having any opinions about the new Arizona law?

> >

>

> Do you mean the law banning the teaching of Latino, or African American, literature or culture courses in public schools? That one seems unconstitutional to me.

 

Do you mean this?

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/12/arizona-ethnic-studies-la_n_572864.html

 

?PHOENIX ? Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed a bill targeting a school district's ethnic studies program on Tuesday, hours after a report by United Nations human rights experts condemned the measure.

 

State schools chief Tom Horne, who has pushed the measure for years, said a Tucson school district program promotes "ethnic chauvinism" and racial resentment toward whites while segregating students by race.

 

"It's just like the old South, and it's long past time that we prohibited it," Horne said.

 

The measure prohibits classes that advocate ethnic solidarity, that are designed primarily for students of a particular race or that promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group. It also prohibits classes that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > >

> > > Anyone having any opinions about the new Arizona law?

> > >

> >

> > Do you mean the law banning the teaching of Latino, or African American, literature or culture courses in public schools? That one seems unconstitutional to me.

>

> Do you mean this?

>

> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/12/arizona-ethnic-studies-la_n_572864.html

>

> PHOENIX Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed a bill targeting a school district's ethnic studies program on Tuesday, hours after a report by United Nations human rights experts condemned the measure.

>

> State schools chief Tom Horne, who has pushed the measure for years, said a Tucson school district program promotes "ethnic chauvinism" and racial resentment toward whites while segregating students by race.

>

> "It's just like the old South, and it's long past time that we prohibited it," Horne said.

>

> The measure prohibits classes that advocate ethnic solidarity, that are designed primarily for students of a particular race or that promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group. It also prohibits classes that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government.

 

 

Yeah, Fred, that's the one. I hadn't read about it on the Puffington Host, but I saw that racist idiot Horne interviewed on CNN. He had the temerity to claim that he was pushing this law because it is what Martin Luther King would want!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Yeah, Fred, that's the one. I hadn't read about it on the Puffington Host, but I saw that racist idiot Horne interviewed on CNN. He had the temerity to claim that he was pushing this law because it is what Martin Luther King would want!

 

I don?t know Tom Horne. Never heard of him. Never heard of Georgetown Professor Michael Dyson either.

 

I generally don?t watch news interviews or debates that originate on the East coast and that have any Easterners in them, commenting about Southwestern affairs, since they are 3,000 miles and three centuries away from us. I don?t think CNN ever interviews any Southwesterners and asks them what they think about New York and DC or Atlanta affairs. So, getting an Easterner?s opinion about the Southwest is about as silly as asking someone in El Paso or Albuquerque about how people should live in New York, Washington, and Atlanta. :)

 

The problem in Southern Arizona is with the La Raza and Aztlan activists. They have been too influenced by old California hippies who are left over from the late ?60s and the ?70s. They are still pushing for a big ?revolution?. :)

 

Here?s a major Aztlan website. Scroll down to see what they believe and who they hate.

 

http://www.aztlan.net/

 

In many states, ?ethnic studies? teach all kinds of students about various ethnic groups, but they?ve had some trouble in Arizona with some ?ethnic studies? being used as a political movement designed to denigrate and attack other races. In other words, it?s used to promote racism, rather than bring people together.

 

Have you heard any people from the Southwest griping about ?ethnic studies? in New York, Washington, or Atlanta? I think not. The attitude out here is that the people in those cities and states should decide what?s best for them. You generally won?t see any Arizona people on national TV telling Easterners what to think and how to live.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I was born in Oklahoma, lived in Texas, Louisiana, Venezuela, and Iran, before moving to Michigan, so I'm not exactly an Easterner. But, some of my best friends are, or have been members of La Raza, one even working for them as an organizer, back in the 70s. I have been to the Aztlan website before.

 

I guess by your way of thinking, all states should be free to discriminate against any races they feel like, unless maybe the states near them, like other Western states disagree, since then it wouldn't be "Easterners telling them what to do?" I would point out that Texas Gov. Rick Perry, hardly liberal, or influenced by "old California hippies" is strongly opposed to the new Ariz. immigration law.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> I guess by your way of thinking, all states should be free to discriminate against any races they feel like,

 

No, I didn?t say that in any way. Quite the contrary. You apparently didn?t understand what I said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> I dont know Tom Horne. Never heard of him.

 

Tom Horne is the Ariz. State School chief, referred to in the link you posted, who has admitted this law is aimed at the Tucson schools.

 

 

> So, getting an Easterners opinion about the Southwest is about as silly as asking someone in El Paso or Albuquerque about how people should live in New York, Washington, and Atlanta. :)

 

 

> Have you heard any people from the Southwest griping about ethnic studies in New York, Washington, or Atlanta? I think not. The attitude out here is that the people in those cities and states should decide whats best for them. You generally wont see any Arizona people on national TV telling Easterners what to think and how to live.

 

I guess I misunderstood these statements, which seem to me to indicate that Easterners shouldn't have anything to say about it, when Westerners do unconstitutional discrimination, by attempting to ban teaching blacks and Latinos about their culture, history, and literature. Or teaching it to anyone, since these classes were not all one race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you probably need to go to a political message board and not a classic movie message board to discuss the political issues you want to discuss.

 

My original reference to the classic film ?Border Incident? refers to the border and the human trafficking issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe so. That's ok with me.

 

This thread is about ?Border Incident? and human trafficking across the border, which is a big problem out here in the Southwest.

 

On local TV here in Arizona and New Mexico, we see a lot of local state-wide news stories about the illegal aliens dying in fairly large numbers, especially when they get abandoned in the desert and sometimes they suffocate after being locked for hours in the back of 18-wheelers. Other times there are police chases with vans filled with 20 or more aliens, and sometimes they run off the road and overturn, killing many of them. This doesn?t make much national news. I thought maybe some of us regulars could discuss the problem.

 

The film will be shown on TCM on June 30th.

 

Edited by: FredCDobbs on May 25, 2010 9:37 PM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, in the OP, you did ask for opinions about the new Ariz. law, not human trafficking.

 

*Border Incident* is a decent film. I do realize that Arizona has a problem, worse than anywhere else in the US. Part of that problem is lots of extra expenses because of the illegal immigrant traffic, including, but not limited to, health care, emergency care, etc. As several County Sheriffs in Ariz. have noted, the new law doesn't give them any rights to detain illegals that they didn't already have. The real changes are that now, the State of Ariz. will pay for their incarceration, not the Feds, and any citizen who isn't happy that the State authorities are picking up enough people can sue the State, so that will also cost Ariz. a lot more money too. The law is just political window dressing, and makes no sense. They have a real problem, but this is no solution. We need a Federal solution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As long as you can stay on the subject of the film and keep your political debates in check, I see no reason to lock this thread. I am deleting a few posts that went into a political argument.

 

Thanks Everyone!

-Renee

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Well, in the OP, you did ask for opinions about the new Ariz. law, not human trafficking.

 

?Border Incident? is about human trafficking and nothing else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...