Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the blacklist killed hollywood

Big_Bopper

& TCM is a proud supporter of the blacklist. So as not to "Offend" its hollywood connections TCM chooses not to show blacklist movies. I could go into detail exactly what is happening but you people are movie knowledgable - you know what the scene is...

After the blacklist was put into effect, the studio system went into immediate decline until the mid 60's when it completely fell apart.

what is a blacklist movie?

one that has blacklisted names in the credits

the crime that blacklistees were accused of?

being premature anti-fascists! in other words being anti nazi before it was fashionable.

I heard the Academy of Motion Pictures was going to replace all the credits in all the movies by giving credit to blacklisted persons instead of pseudonyms. Fat Chance. Did anybody on this board hear of this?

Edited by: Big_Bopper on May 24, 2010 4:35 PM

> {quote:title=Big_Bopper wrote:}{quote}

> & TCM is a proud supporter of the blacklist. So as not to "Offend" its hollywood connections TCM chooses not to show blacklist movies.

TCM often shows movies by blacklisted directors.

TCM often shows "Salt of the Earth", made by an all commie crew, and it was one of the best commie movies ever made.

> oh they show some but considering how the blacklist killed hollywood, you'd never guess in a million years based on tcm's schedule. in the TCM fantasy world it never happened. Hollywood died of natural causes.

I don?t think Hollywood ever ?died?. Last I heard, it was still turning out hundreds of movies each year.

As far as the ?classics? go, don?t think the directors of Casablanca, Rebecca, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Gone with the Wind, etc., etc. were communists.

Are you trying to say that they only good directors and screenwriters in Hollywood were communists? And all the bad ones were not communists? And today there are no communist in Hollywood, so that?s the reason for all the bad scripts and movies today?

Big Bopper wrote:

"oh they show some but considering how the blacklist killed hollywood, you'd never guess in a million years based on tcm's schedule. in the TCM fantasy world it never happened. *Hollywood died of natural causes.*"

Actually CLASSIC Hollywood of the Studio Era, is what you are referring to. It happened around the time of the HUAC hearings starting in 1947, and subsequent blacklistings, but there were various reasons for the decline of the Studio System. Among these were the Supreme Court 1948 ruling on the anti-trust suit against the studios, whereby they could no longer own chains of movie theaters, and had to divest themselves of them by 1952. Additionally, while they still owned them, they also lost a ruling against block-booking of their product, whereby movie exhibitors had to take that studio's output, sight unseen, and show it. Another major reason was competition from television, which became more commonplace in the late 40s, and made serious inroads into the public's movie-going habits by the early 50s. To combat it, the studios came up with several systems: Cinerama, 3D, widescreen, in 1952-53, which all proved to be stop gags to the ongoing erosion in movie attendance. By the mid to late 50s, many studios were dropping many of their contract personnel at all levels, as they drastically cut back on movie production.

Where the blacklist did hurt Hollywood, aside from the talent not utilized, was in the reaction of some studio bosses to the type of film fare they would do. Foremost of these was Fox' Darryl Zanuck, who, in the postwar period had ok'ed some of the grittiest dramas and hitherto taboo subject matter of any of the major studios. But by the early 50s, he felt that "message" movies were dead at the boxoffice, and threw all his weight behind spectacle and Cinemascope, thereby canceling "On The Waterfront" among others.

Edited by: Arturo on May 24, 2010 5:52 PM

Is anyone a fan of The Front ? It was mentioned earlier as a Woody Allen movie, and that's how I think of it too, but in fact Woody Allen only acts in it. It was directed by (drum roll)..Martin Ritt!

An entertaining and incisive look at the Mcarthy era and its Hollywood blacklist.

Edited by: misswonderly on May 25, 2010 11:06 AM

I'm not trying to be a crybaby. you all have movies you like & want TCM to show. so do I. Let me explain. take a movie like: "Among the Living" it is very rare but there is no good reason it should be except the writing credit has a name Lester Cole on it. When I was a kid they showed this movie alot Monogram : "china's little devils"...........a great movie ......but when it became known a name was in the credits, it disappeared - you could not even get a bootleg. its on amazon for $70!

how it all began:

in 1930 the stock market crash was a wake up call to repug rule similar to 911.

hollywood was at war within itself to organize the crafts in unions. the big job was to keep repugs out of power & the movies helped by portraying villains as repugs & heroes as dems. kept repugs out for 30 years. the blacklist was revenge. old hollywood died around 1955 but was seriously in decline from 1948.

Edited by: Big_Bopper on May 25, 2010 12:53 PM

> & TCM is a proud supporter of the blacklist. So as not to "Offend" its hollywood connections TCM chooses not to show blacklist movies.

Tell me something, BB, do you really believe such claptrap or are you just throwing this baloney out there to flamebait?

Well, gee, I guess that's why TCM doesn't show films like Murder My Sweet, Crossfire, and Sahara, or movies starring Larry Parks, Zero Mostel, Lionel Stander, and others. Ok, wait, they do. Well, it would certainly explain why classics like Pride of the Marines and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo never appear on TCM -- OMG, both of those are running this weekend!!! You know what this means, don't you?! Since your first theory doesn't hold water, you better start a protest outside the studio, screaming, "There are ____ (fill in a number that is easy for you to remember) card-carrying communists working at TCM!"

It's been 60+ years. Give it a rest.

There are times when I see some post like BB's and I just have to laugh at the crazy way some people just see conspiracy in everything. If they don't get what they want (which comes under the heading, "Why doesn't TCM show every movie ever made?"), they imagine TCM has an agenda. Have you thought about teaming up with mikemcgee who wants TCM to show German propaganda films?

this stuff is so well known ... last time I heard the entire Monogram collection is owned by wb. there should be no need to buy a booleg off amazon. you do the math. there is one mistake. the dems held power for 20 years 1932-52. other than that everything I said is true.

>>I heard the Academy of Motion Pictures was going to replace all the credits in all the movies by giving credit to blacklisted persons instead of pseudonyms. Fat Chance. Did anybody on this board hear of this?

Uh, no, I hadn't heard that the Academy was going to recall all the prints of hundreds, probably thousands of films and redo the credits sequences.

As several other posters have noted TCM does show films that were written by, directed by blacklisted people or had them in the caset. And I recall Robert Osborne noting careers that were damaged or destroyed by the blacklist in his intros and/or outros.

And how about that remembrance of Kirk Douglas by his son Michael that TCM cycles pretty frequently into its fillers. Michael points out that with SPARTACUS, Kirk defied the Blacklist and gave Dalton Trumbo his first onscreen credit in years. In fact TCM has broadcast Trumbo's JOHNNY GOT HIS GUN.

Sorry, but your observation shows some lack of familiarity with TCM...

> this stuff is so well known ... last time I heard the entire Monogram collection is owned by wb. there should be no need to buy a booleg off amazon. you do the math. there is one mistake. the dems held power for 20 years 1932-52. other than that everything I said is true.

Huh, it's interesting you said China's Little Devils is $70 on Amazon (a used copy), but neglected to mention three sellers there have it new for about $27. So is this whole thread coming about because you can't find a bootleg? If you are trying to say that WB hasn't issued this Monogram film yet, well, there are a lot of their own WB films that haven't been released yet on home video. And none of them had people on the blacklist, I am sure.

I think it's time to lock this thread down for uselessness.

> this stuff is so well known ... last time I heard the entire Monogram collection is owned by wb. there should be no need to buy a booleg off amazon. you do the math. there is one mistake. the dems held power for 20 years 1932-52. other than that everything I said is true.

*TRICKLE, TRICKLE, TRICKLE...*

>>Uh, no, I hadn't heard that the Academy was going to recall all the prints of hundreds, probably thousands of films and redo the credits sequences.

The Academy is correcting its own database, but as you probably know, they are under no obligation to nor do they have the power to change the on-screen credits.

Some companies have made revisions to the credits for home video releases.

thank you all for responding even those who attempted to discredit me. "China's Little devils" was gone never to be seen for 40 years. all because of a name in the credits. Since TCM has chosen to sell it rather than show it gives credence to my original observation. It is being held back from tv because of the name Samuel Ornitz.

I really doubt that it is because of one name in the credits. Ornitz is also credited on THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD and that one has gone unseen for ages because of a rights issue.

As noted already, it is out on home video, it is not as if it is being suppressed.