Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SUMMER UNDER THE STARS SCHEDULE UP!!!

audreyforever

Link:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?eid=&oid=8/1/2010

A nice array of stars, thanks TCM! However, Henry Fonda is getting another year (that's 3 in a row)??? And if Clint Eastwood is being celebrated on May 31st, why show all those movies again in August?

This is just my opinion:

Good:

Basil Rathbone

Ethel Barrymore

Woody Strode

Errol Flynn

Bob Hope

Kathryn Grayson

Gene Tierney

Margaret O' Brien

Robert Stack

Ann Sheridan

Walter Pidgeon

Maureen O'Hara

Olivia De Havilland

That Robert Ryan day looks mighty good as well. Despite both Julie Christie and Warren Beatty this year, no McCabe & Mrs. Miller... bummer.

I partially agree with your comments on Clint. I don't mind another tribute to his work... but perhaps replace some of those with other titles. The Beguiled, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, The Gauntlet, Unforgiven, Coogan's Bluff (which I haven't seen yet) would have been nice replacements of the Leone westerns again (even though they're all superb). I do like Bridges of Madison County though... a big sucker for that film!!

*And if Clint Eastwood is being celebrated on May 31st, why show all those movies again in August?*

Possibly because TCM figures people will be celebrating Memorial Day in some other fashion than watching TCM and they want to give their viewers a chance to see the films they missed.

OMG TCM is playing the Rossellini films with Ingrid Bergman that are not out on DVD (well 2 of them at least). I have wanted to see these films for so long. Thank You TCM. :)

edit: And Student Prince in Old Heidelberg for Norma Shearer at 8:00 PM (Yay). One of my absolute favorite silent films. The Big Parade is also playing at 8:00 PM. A great month for silent films.

And on John Mills day they are playing Hobson's Choice I guess that makes up for no In Which We Serve. Oh well he was in over 100 films so I guess I can't be too picky.

why is tcm devoting a day to woody strobe? i never heard of him, come on and maureen ohara, what a waste of air time, she was no long lasting star, bob hope, i luv him, but a whole day of those silly comedies...........i will be waiting for bob taylor, garbo, crawford, davis and those people, and how about a day devoted to silent films with gilbert, garbo, valentino...that would be quite interesting!

Incredible to see *THE BIG PARADE* and *OLD HEIDELBERG* in Prime-time! That is fantastic. Two of my favorite films ever.

It is still a few months away, so, Maybe there is still time to get a broadcast master of the new restoration of *THE BIG PARADE* ready by than? I know we will see it one day. Last night did not turn out to be the occasion, but it is coming according to Chuck Tabesh. He estimated by the late Fall of this year, in March of last year. We know the film was fully restored in 2004, but no broadcast master has been provided from Warner's. TCM can only show what they have access too.

Last night. Robert Osborne's intro was almost identical wording wise to what it had been for the 2004 broadcast. Because I still have that recorded. The big difference was in the delivery. Not nearly as good as back in 2004.This was the same version that has been floating around since 1983 for the most part. The lone difference from this and the MGM Laser-disc is that the TCM Print has the 1931 Reissue opening credits. It says Western Electric Sound System, and Music by Dr. William Axt at the start etc. The MGM L D version leads in with the Thames Silents logo, than has the original 1925 opening credits instead. But regardless of it reading William Axt, it is still the Carl Davis score on both the TCM print and MGM Laser-disc.

I won't complain because this is the only version that I have ever seen, and it is my favorite movie ever. But we know that a much more recent and spectacular restoration does in-fact exist. One of these days TCM may finally be able to run it. Robert Osborne noted that this would be the tinted/also Stencil color print, but it wasn't. Also the picture briefly went out a couple times during the telecast? and skipped backward?

There are still some things that I just don't fully understand though. Because it's clear that both Warner Classics, and Photoplay Productions have 35 Millimeter prints of THE BIG PARADE based on the 2004 restoration available for rent. And each one has a different score. Warner Classics-Axt-Mendoza (1931- Re-issue Track), and Photoplay Carl Davis.

I'm just very glad that TCM is running the film regularly again, After it had vanished completely for five years until May of 2009. I had expressed for Chuck to please keep running it in the interim, until the new version was ready to go. And He has. Plus Paying Tribute to John Gilbert this year on their Annual Summer Under the Stars in August, that is quite something! Anyway people don't forget *THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS* in less than a couple days! At least that one we know will be a fresh transfer, and has a new score.

I'm not sure about *OLD HEIDELBERG?* If there has been a more recent transfer or not? New restoration or not, I'm still waiting to read allot more feed-back on the broadcast from last night. Please post you comments, and vote for the DVD. The whole month of August looks really good. My thanks to TCM Programmer Chuick Tabesh for all his continued hard work and efforts.

> {quote:title=johnbabe wrote:}{quote}

> why is tcm devoting a day to woody strobe? i never heard of him, come on and maureen ohara, what a waste of air time, she was no long lasting star, bob hope, i luv him, but a whole day of those silly comedies...........i will be waiting for bob taylor, garbo, crawford, davis and those people, and how about a day devoted to silent films with gilbert, garbo, valentino...that would be quite interesting!

If you never heard of Woody Strode perhaps August 5 is a good time to learn about him.

There is no way TCM can please everybody on everyday. Just be happy with the stars you like and let other people enjoy the stars they like. Just because you don't see a need for Maureen O'hara and Bob Hope doesn't mean someone else might not be looking forward to these days.