Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE CAMERMAN at UCLA on May 23rd

scottman1932

I went to see Buster Keaton's THE CAMERAMAN at UCLA on Sunday.

This was a fundraiser for the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra. The event was sold out, there were 1400 people in Royce Hall to see a 82 year old silent gem. The event was hosted by Dustin Hoffman, who introduced the feature attraction. The Walt Disney short ALICE'S WILD WEST SHOW (1924) was presented first. The Alice comedy was one of the few surviving cartoons that was animated by Disney himself. The score by Alexander Rannie for it was excellent.

Timothy Brock's score for THE CAMERAMAN was terrific, it really captured the feel of the film very effectively. Among those in attendance were Leonard Maltin and Robert Sherman (lyricist for many Disney classics such as MARY POPPINS). Roger Mayer, co chairman for this event ( and former President of Turner Entertainment) said that there would be 2 DVD releases from the National Film Preservation Board; a second volume of avant garde films and a set of Western films (1915-1938).

All in all it was a really wonderful evening with two terrific films.

Scottman,

Sound like a great event. I knew about the forth-coming Western's set. Haven't heard any details though. We need to get some Tom Mix and Bill Hart movies on official DVD in restored prints. And how about *THE COVERED WAGON?*

Jeffrey,

I am hoping that both Mix and Hart will be well represented in the set. It would be nice to see a DVD release of THE COVERED WAGON. I made a copy to DVD from my laser disc, but it would be nice if perhaps Robert Israel or Rodney Sauer were to write a new score for it.