Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Searching for a film...Please help

flick-chick

I am looking for a film that my father and I use to watch. Sadly, I don't know the name of the film or the actors or even what decade it was made (50's, 60's...).

The movie was about two sisters that move to California in search of a new husband. I remember two scenes:

1. one sister played the maid and the other sister went out on a boat ride with the beau.

2. was a musical scene where the blond sister was wearing a blue and white dress and sang to a crowd at a party.

If anyone has any clue what the name of this movie is I would appreciate it. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Flick-Chick

This could be 1941's Moon Over Miami. It took place in Florida, obviously, not California. It starred Betty Grable and Carole Landis as sisters using an inheritance to try to land a millionaire. Aunt Charlotte Greenwood was came as well (she played the maid), Landis the secretary, and Grable the rich girl. She went speed boating with either Don Ameche or Bob Cummings (The Miamese Twins), don't remember which, both were wooing her. All in all a fun musical with beautiful technicolor, great songs and dances, and appealing stars.

However, this plot was a favorite of 20th Century Fox. Variations of it include:

1938's Three Blind Mice, with Loretta Young, Pauline Moore and Marjorie Weaver (this could be the one you want, since they went to Santa Barbara, CA, in search of millionaires-Joel McRae and David Niven in this case).

1946's Three Little Girls In Blue, with June Haver, Vivian Blaine and Vera Allen going to Atlantic City.

1953's How To Marry A Millionaire with Betty Grable (again), Marilyn Monroe and Lauren Bacall going to Atlantic City.

1954's Three Coins In The Fountain with Jean Peters, Maggie MacNamara and Dorothy McGuire going to Rome.

> However, this plot was a favorite of 20th Century Fox. Variations of it include:

>

> 1938's Three Blind Mice, with Loretta Young, Pauline Moore and Marjorie Weaver (this could be the one you want, since they went to Santa Barbara, CA, in search of millionaires-Joel McRae and David Niven in this case).

>

> 1946's Three Little Girls In Blue, with June Haver, Vivian Blaine and Vera Allen going to Atlantic City.

>

> 1953's How To Marry A Millionaire with Betty Grable (again), Marilyn Monroe and Lauren Bacall going to Atlantic City.

>

> 1954's Three Coins In The Fountain with Jean Peters, Maggie MacNamara and Dorothy McGuire going to Rome.

and . . . 1964's The Pleasure Seekers with Ann-Margret, Tony Franciosa, Carol Lynley, Gardner McKay, Pamela Tiffin and in a rare appearance the legendary Gene Tierney. The film was more or less a remake of "Three Coins in The Fountain, because "The Pleasure Seekers" was directed by the same director good old Jean Negulesco; one of the studio's most popular directors of the 1950s. Jean also directed "How to Marry A Millionaire!" He certainly got into a successful formula.

• 4 weeks later...

I can not thank you enough for your help. I have been searching for this film for years and this was my very last hope. I went to youtube and type in Moon over Miami...and there in the first video was the blue and white dress that I remembered from so long ago, and when I played the clip she sang "You started something" which was the song that I use to sing.

Thank you again. Your help means more than you will ever know!

Flick-Chick

> {quote:title=flick-chick wrote:}{quote}

> I can not thank you enough for your help. I have been searching for this film for years and this was my very last hope. I went to youtube and type in Moon over Miami...and there in the first video was the blue and white dress that I remembered from so long ago, and when I played the clip she sang "You started something" which was the song that I use to sing.

>

> Thank you again. Your help means more than you will ever know!

>

> Flick-Chick

That song is very catchy. The film was part of Robert Osborne's picks for the month and it was shown, I had that tune stuck in my head for at least a week.