Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alastair Sim

konway87

Hello Everyone,

What do you think about Alastair Sim? I think he is very underrated nowadays. He is one of my favorite actors. I thought he was great in Alfred Hitchcock's Stage Fright (1950). He was wonderful in Green for Danger, The Happiest Days of Your Life, Scrooge, and many others.

Its very hard to find. Anyway, I have sent you a message about the film on PM. I agree Alastair Sim had great comic timing. He is very effective in all of his roles. I remember watching a film with Sim in it. I don't remember the film. The film was very weak. But he was great in it.

He's one of those actors who make you glad to watch a film with him in it. I've love him since the first time I saw "Scrooge" and two of my all time favorite performances of his are as Miss Fenton, the headmistress in "The Bells of St. Trinian's" and "Blue Murder at St. Trinians' and one of his last roles as Bishop Bertie Lampton in Peter O"Tooles "The Ruling Class"

He was a true British { Scottish} treasure.......

I loved his work in THE RULING CLASS, but what would Christmas be without Alistair Sim as Scrooge? Even Jim Carrey tried to imitate Sim's voice and speech rhythms in the 2009 remake. (One misinformed writer on imdb wondered why Carrey's Scrooge sounded like the Indian convenience store clerk on "The Simpsons!")

I think that's because critics criticized Hitchcock for casting Alastair Sim. I don't know why. I thought Alastair Sim was great in it. It was Playwright James Bridie who suggested Alfred Hitchcock to cast Alastair Sim. James Bridie worked with Hitchcock in 3 films - The Paradine Case, Under Capricorn, and Stage Fright.

Here is a video on Alastair Sim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22fT8vH0t64

• 3 weeks later...

Bridie also wrote THE ANATOMIST (about Dr Knox and Burke & Hare) which Sims performed on the London stage & in a television adaptation. Sim may have done other Bridie plays - I don't recall.

One of my favorite Sim performances is in a film that used to show up pretty regularly on A&E but which I haven't seen in ages: THE GREEN MAN. Maybe it's because Sim plays a bomb-planting terrorist who eliminates politicians... The idea isn't so funny anymore, but the film & Sim are a hoot.

I finally watched ( *re*-watched -is there such a word?) Stage Fright. I won't go into it here, as there is an Alfred Hitchcock thread I can comment on, but I will say that I agree with you, konway, and cujas that he is a delight in every film he's in. He was the best thing in Stage Fright. I think Sim was a born comedian, one of those people who finds everything amusing and knows how to convey that. There always seems to be a little smile playing about his mouth or in his eyes. Even as Scrooge, there's a warmth under all that meanness. That's probably why he's so good in the role.

He also has a most memorable voice. I read that he was born in 1900,so he must have been well into his 30s when he first started appearing in films. I guess that's why we never see him as a young man.

One movie I've always wanted to see, and it simply doesn't seem to be available, is

Laughter in Paradise. This was one of my father's favourite films.

How could I have missed that? It's one of those films I'm always looking out for. Well, either I was away on holidays, or TCM does not have the rights to air it in Canada. If that's the case, I can dream on...

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 22, 2010 2:50 PM