Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The greatest movie "YOU" have ever seen in your life!?

passion4movies

Hey everyone, I made this new topic to find out what the greatest movie that all of you have seen. I'm not talking about what you guys think is the greatest movie ever, because we all don't want bickering back an forth about that. This is for the greatest movie "YOU" have ever seen. If it effected you in anyway, etc Know what I mean?

The greatest movie I have ever seen in my entire life is:

Once Upon A Time In The West (C'era una volta il West)

(Starring Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Jason Robards, and Claudia Cardinale

For me it's "Shane", (1953) with Alan Ladd. When I first saw it as a kid, I remember how it touched me, especially the theme of personal self-sacrifice at the end. I still get chills when I watch the final scene, when Shane walks into that saloon to confront those bullying cattle ranchers, and the ultimate evil gunslinger, Jack Wilson... wonderfully played by Walter Jack Palance.

Probably "Contempt" by Godard or "L'Avventura" by Antonioni. Maybe even "Stalker" by Tarkovsky.

To me there was something beautiful and lyrical about those films that I couldn't stop thinking about long after I watched them. Some people probably don't like any of those films, but those movies have always hit a chord with me. Tough to say why. I mean I think they're all great films, but I don't know why they moved me more than other films that I've seen.

Edited by: JefCostello on May 28, 2010 3:16 PM

I have quite a few but some years back I had my car keys in hand, purse on my shoulder and getting ready to turn off the TV and head out to run some Saturday morning errands when Edmond O'Brien took it upon himself to stumble into the police dept and report his own murder. All I remember was watching the first 5 minutes standing up, hitting the record button (which recorded from the beginning) and still managed to find my way to the couch, feet up....that movie, even though I was recording it, displaced my day by 90 minutes. *D.O.A.* is what really helped introduce me to film noir beyond the usual suspects *Double Indemnity*, *The Maltese Falcon*, *Sweet Smell of Success*, *Sunset Blvd* etc....I know it is a PD film but I still hope it gets the Criterion treatment some day!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, IMO, GWTW is probably the most over-rated, and over wrought, film there is. The best I can do for a personal pick as the "greatest" film is to narrow it down to three - Felinni's *Juliet of the Spirits*, Kurosawa's *Seven Samurai*, and Lindsay Anderson's *O, Lucky Man*. I guess my top American contenders would be *Touch of Evil*, and *Treasure of the Sierra Madre*. But, in reality, there are just too many great films to call any one "The Greatest."

I'm mentioning 2 films because I have a hard time separating The Godfather and The Godfather Part 2. IMO the films watched together tell a complete story and show the transformation of Michael Corleone from fresh faced college boy/war hero to lonely ruthless Mafia don. Greatest story telling I've ever seen and I've watched a lot of movies.

I can't call any 1 movie the greatest..but some movies that are the best to me are

It Happened One Night

Father Goose

Mary Poppins (YES Mary Poppins haha)

Gangster movies with Bogart and Cagney in them, I have to lump them together because they all equally amazed me.

The Graduate

American Graffiti

Roman Holiday

Most of them I saw when I was a bit younger and they left an impression when I first saw them that I can still remember.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Well, IMO, GWTW is probably the most over-rated, and over wrought, film there is.

The title of this thread is: *The greatest movie "YOU" have ever seen in your life!?*

For ME it was "Gone With the Wind". So your opinion doesn't apply regarding my opinion of the greatest film I ever saw in my life.

> Well, IMO, GWTW is probably the most over-rated, and over wrought, film there is. The best I can do for a personal pick as the "greatest" film is to narrow it down to three - Felinni's *Juliet of the Spirits*, Kurosawa's *Seven Samurai*, and Lindsay Anderson's *O, Lucky Man*. I guess my top American contenders would be *Touch of Evil*, and *Treasure of the Sierra Madre*. But, in reality, there are just too many great films to call any one "The Greatest."

You appear to have completely missed the point of the question. You're not being asked what you think IS the greatest film, but rather the greatest movie you ever saw. The one film that affected you the most, thrilled you, whatever. The question doesn't invite criticism of another's choice, as your opinion of what was great to them has absolutely no bearing on anything, and doesn't even make any sense.

For me, the choice is easy. No motion picture had a greater impact on my life than *The Sound of Music*. I saw it for the very first of many times, on March 17, 1965, in all its Todd-AO splendor. It took my breath away, and I realized how incredible a Broadway musical could be, when properly handled for the medium of film. Its impact was so enormous that, among other things, I actually moved to Salzburg, Austria for a while!

Would be the first movie I remember seeing when I was a five years old, *To Kill a Mockingbird*. When I saw the film about seven years later, it's impact was even more. I'm with Sam Jackson on this one, the courthouse scene when Atticus turns to leave, he cries, I cry and all these years later, I still get teary just talking about it.

> {quote:title=johnm_001 wrote:}{quote}

> You appear to have completely missed the point of the question. You're not being asked what you think IS the greatest film, but rather the greatest movie you ever saw. The one film that affected you the most, thrilled you, whatever. The question doesn't invite criticism of another's choice, as your opinion of what was great to them has absolutely no bearing on anything, and doesn't even make any sense.

>

If that is the point of the question, it should have been phrased differently. As written, the question asks, rephrased for clarity, 'Of the films you have seen, which was the greatest?' The question, as written, makes no mention of what affected, or thrilled, one the most, personally. So, I answered the question as written. The films I mentioned DID thrill, and affect me personally, but not necessarily more than some other films I have seen.

I well realize that on subjective questions, such as 'what is the greatest film?,' my opinion is no more valid than anyone else's, but is also no LESS valid. I don't usually nay say just for the heck of it, and don't believe I did here. Only a few times have I expressed a negative opinion opinion of a film, or an actor, and often state that is only my opinion, to be clear that I don't expect others to give my negative opinion great weight. Actually, I think that should go without saying. Of course I realize that GWTW has lots of fans, and many think it the best film ever made. But, my feelings about GWTW are as I stated. I thought the point was an exchange of opinions/ideas. I thought that was the point. I didn't mean to be rude about it, and I don't think I was. If someone wants to criticize films I have mentioned, here, or anywhere else, I have no problem with it.

> If that is the point of the question, it should have been phrased differently. As written, the question asks, rephrased for clarity, 'Of the films you have seen, which was the greatest?' The question, as written, makes no mention of what affected, or thrilled, one the most, personally.

You still miss the point. Go back and read the original post:

?Hey everyone, I made this new topic to find out what the greatest movie that all of you have seen. I'm not talking about what you guys think is the greatest movie ever, because we all don't want bickering back an forth about that. This is for the greatest movie "YOU" have ever seen. If it effected you in anyway, etc Know what I mean??

Okay Fred, you're right. I had read the thread from the beginning, but hadn't read it for a while when I posted, so responded the the question as it was written, not the explanation. My fault. I still don't think it wrong to criticize a film someone else picks though. For instance, when I was a little kid, and saw *Old Yeller*, it had a huge effect on me, I was broken up for weeks! But as a film, it's schlock.

We all love so many movies, and we all find it so hard to choose just one or two that are "best", whether you're going by objective or personal evaluation, sometimes I think it would be easier ( and kind of fun) to have a thread where we list " Your most *disliked* or even loathed, film of all time." I know there are a lot more films that I like, than that I don't like, so it would be an interesting exercise in -in what? Well, in compiling a list of movies you don't like. That simple. But I suppose there'd be too much apologizing and indignation and so forth.

*What about: "movies that make you cringe?" (see below post)*

MissW,

Rather than hijack an existing thread on a different topic, why not start a thread here in Favorites for your topic about "movies that make you cringe"?

I'm sure we all have plenty to say on that topic but this thread is about the "greatest movie YOU have ever seen in your life" to quote the OP's header.

I remember my Dad taking me to see The Godfather soon after it was first released. I was just 16, I was old enough if accompanied by an adult. It was a much talked about movie, but I don't know if anyone thought it would become such a historically important film at that time. It certainly had a lasting impact on me and how I would look at movies in the future.

Edited by: mrroberts on Jun 15, 2010 11:16 AM

• 1 month later...

It's a tie for the tops: Michael Curtiz' Casablanca (1942) and Andrei Tarkovsky's Nostalghia (1983).

The inevitable honorable mentions:

Oliver Stone's JFK (1991) and Nixon (1995)

Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Billy Wilder's One, Two, Three (1961)

Bruce Robinson's Withnail and I (1987)

and many more...

I apologize for not limiting to one, but these are the movies that mean the most to me:

THE GODFATHER II

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

SUNSET BOULEVARD

HIS GIRL FRIDAY

all very different movies, but each one is special to me on some deep level...they are the "special" movies of my life....so far....:)