Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Landmark Films of 1960

JefCostello

1960 was a very important year for world cinema. It was the year that Breathless, La Dolce Vita and L'Avventura came out. Three movies which changed the face of cinema forever and are still universally considered amongst the top 20 or so movies of all time.

Since this is the 50th anniversary of those films, I think TCM should do some kind of retrospective on those films and maybe show them in succession on a particular day this year.

What do you guys think about that?

Edited by: JefCostello on May 28, 2010 1:04 PM

I like The Apartment, but they show that movie all the time.

Besides, I don't think it ranks with those films as far as changing the face of cinema or anything like that.

Wilder had already established himself long before that, whereas these other films put guys like Fellini, Godard and Antonioni on the map. Not to mention foreign cinema as well. It's kind of cool that those films came out in the same year and that it was 50 years ago. Hence the thread.

I'd like to see a retrospective of some 1960 British & European films. However, I can just see this message board light up like a Christmas tree if that ever happens. While I'm not one of those fans, a lot of people don't think anything past 1950 should be shown, much less 1960. I'd be up for this type of film festival, but don't be surprised if a vast majority don't like it.

All great films, but once again, I think those three movies I named were the best films that year and the most groundbreaking ones to change cinema.

Also, they don't ever get shown on TCM, which would be another good reason to show them.

> {quote:title=JefCostello wrote:}{quote}

> All great films, but once again, I think those three movies I named were the best films that year and the most groundbreaking ones to change cinema.

>

> Also, they don't ever get shown on TCM, which would be another good reason to show them.

I like all three of those films, but I suspect you credit them with more than their due. They did have an impact on cinema, but more than *Psycho*, from the same year? I don't think so. Regardless, I'd like to see them on TCM.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Not to beat a dead horse, but, although PSYCHO was a more important film than THE APARTMENT, the latter was a better film.

Well, that's debatable! I actually prefer it as *Promises, Promises*.

Psycho was just as important as those films, but it has been shown quite a bit on TCM.

One of the reasons I started the thread isn't just because of importance of the films or 50th anniversary, but also because on top of those things, those movies have never been played on TCM as long as I remember.

For your information, they have been shown on TCM before as has *The Virgin Spring* which I think was a landmark film of 1960.

I also agree that it is a great idea for TCM to show these films on their 50th anniversary.

Edited by: LittleAbner on May 31, 2010 12:54 AM

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Not to beat a dead horse, but, although PSYCHO was a more important film than THE APARTMENT, the latter was a better film.

This poor horse is really being pummeled, but I agree with you. It's one of the great movies.

> A film can be a trailblazing film, but still not be a very good one. I'm not saying that applies here.

I have to say I don't care all that much for the New Vague films.

A 1960 French film I much prefer is *Les yeux sans visage* (Eyes Without a Face). Or, TCM could show *Plein soleil* (Purple Noon), the Alain Delon version of The Talented Mr. Ripley.

I wouldn't mind seeing either film on TCM, as they were both fantastic.

Breathless is the only New Wave film I mentioned, and it's probably the best New Wave film ever made. I'm not the biggest fan of the genre either, despite seeing countless numbers of them, and even I think Breathless is an Essential film.

Hi folks, can't resist a bit of silliness here:

"I don't like opera and I don't like ballet

*and new wave French movies, they just drive me away*

I guess I'm just dumb, 'cause I know that I ain't smart

but deep down inside, I got a rock 'n' roll heart

Yeah-yeah-yeah, deep down inside I got a rock 'n' roll heart"

Lou Reed, Rock 'n' Roll Heart -this song came into my head when I read the last 2 posts

(although Lou's sentiments don't really reflect mine.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 2, 2010 9:09 AM