Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Silent Enemy (1929)

gagman66

Wow! This rarely seen film, a late Paramount Silent.actually released in 1930, just astounded me. I had never seen it before. Even though the movie once had been on DVD about 10 or 11 years ago. And on Laser-disc back in the early 90's. Both long out of print. This might have been a TCM premier? Truly a magnificent picture about the toils of the Ojibway Indians before Columbus landed. A peaceful people almost one with nature.

I was completely blown away by this movie. So authentic that it could have actually been made before the time of Columbus, if they had had Motion Picture film. Wow, what a picture. I can't thank TCM enough for showing this amazing and wonderful film. The views of the wildlife and wilderness were just extraordinary. I loved the two bear cubs. Powerful and moving performances too, by mostly all real Indian actors. Truly an outstanding feature.

I just wish this could have been run earlier in the evening. This movie deserves a very large audience. It would also be nice to see a fresh transfer struck, although it still looked 10 times better than NANOOK OF THE NORTH did earlier in the night. But it would still be great to see an improved restoration.

Wendy,

I sure hope that all three will be run a few more times. I wasn't all that excited about THE SILENT ENEMY to be honest when it was scheduled. Knew little about the film, and I had no idea that it would be anywhere near that good. It was better than good it was really outstanding! I would definitely buy a DVD collection of these three films.

Mont Alto's new score for MOHICANS didn't really connect with me all that well. I will need to watch this again. Maybe I will change my mind. But there I was watching the recording and suddenly the same theme music that was used on the Movie-tone track of WHAT PRICE GLORY? during some battle footage was playing during some Action scenes from MOHICANS, and I couldn't quite grasp it. The rather frantic pace of the new score for THE VANISHING AMERICAN also caught me a little off guard. I think I actually preferred the older score, even though it had been Theater Organ, but again the Eric Beheim arrangement might grow on me too.

With THE SILENT ENEMY, kind of surprised me that while we heard the spoken Intro by the chief, the music was not the original release track, but a Theater Organ score by the late John Muri. Which wasn't at all bad, but it seems the vintage recorded track must survive, or at least some of it, or we would not have heard the chief speaking during the introduction at the beginning of the film.

Hey, don't forget FOUR SONS come Sunday!

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I am definitely not going to forget! I am dying to see it! I haven't seen any of the Ford silents except Hangman's House, The Iron Horse, and Three Bad Men. Thanks for the reminder, I would have been very upset to have missed it.

Have PLENTY of Kleenex on hand.

Wendy,

*FOUR SONS* is a magnificent picture, and perfect for Memorial Day weekend! I can't help but think that John Ford was inspired by OVER THE HILL and Mary Carr, when He fashioned the character of Mother Berle, brilliantly portrayed by Margaret Mann. James Hall, Ralph Bushman and the other brothers are great. And June Collyer is so easy to fall in love with. Wow, what a beautiful lady.

The article in the Silent Sunday profiles seems to suggest that TCM might be playing the vintage Fox Movie-Tone track version, which I greatly prefer. But I rather doubt this to be the case. To my knowledge, the only restoration from Fox has the Christopher Caliendo score. It isn't a bad score, but pales in comparison to the Erno Rapee' Lew Pollack, Maurice Barron original. I hope that we may still see *WHAT PRICE GLORY?* which was initially scheduled, and for that matter *LILAC TIME* later on.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> > I am definitely not going to forget! I am dying to see it! I haven't seen any of the Ford silents except Hangman's House, The Iron Horse, and Three Bad Men. Thanks for the reminder, I would have been very upset to have missed it.

>

> Have PLENTY of Kleenex on hand.

Thanks for the hint.... I should have known - most Fordies make me weep. :D

Jeff - Thanks for the info on the score, I will keep my fingers crossed that it is the one you like.

Wendy,

*LILAC TIME* was released by Critics Choice on VHS about 12 years ago. A mediocre 16 Millimeter transfer, and very incomplete. The film was originally 11 reels long. The VHS is no more than 7 or 8 reels at best. Since than, full-length 35 Millimeter prints have been preserved, and the original scoring track has turned up as well. LILAC TIME was no only a huge hit for Colleen Moore, but this really seems to be the film that finally established Gary Cooper as a major break out Star. So why the picture hasn't been more of a Priority for Warner's I can't understand.

Go to these links to hear a couple different renditions of the "Jeannine" song. I have others. These must be the only two I have uploaded?

http://fan.tcm.com/_Jeannine-I-Dream-Of-Lilac-Time-1928-Nat-Shilkret-Orchestra/audio/644627/66470.html

http://fan.tcm.com/_Jeannine-I-Dream-Of-Lilac-Time-1928-Gene-Austin/audio/663350/66470.html

PHOTO_7982834_66470_8093159_main.jpg