Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Badlanders"

Terrence1

I have often heard that "Badlanders" with Alan Ladd is a remake of "The Asphalt Jungle." I have seen this movie several times over the years, and all I can find is the barest of similarities of these two films. Any thoughts on this?

Terrence.

"Badlanders" was based on "The Asphalt Jungle" by W.R. Burnett. I never read the book and don't know how close the original film followed it. "The Badlanders" is indeed a lot different then the Houston film. Burnett was a great writer of crime novels and he was a talented screenwriter. Credits included "Little Caesar", "High Sierra","Beast of the City", "Yellow Sky" "King of the Underworld" "Nobody Lives Forever" are just a few of his books and screen plays that made it to the screen....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I missed another opportunity to see this movie. It was on cable last night, but I fell asleep! I've wanted to see it for some time. I'm a big fan of ASPHALT JUNGLE and other stories by this talented writer. What little I saw of it looked good. Characters, story, atmosphere. I was impressed. Someday...

This happens a lot. I turn on the TV. Stretch out. Goodnight! I miss one movie. Then I wake up and watch the next one! Sooner or later, it balances.

Terrence, I don't see much resemblance between THE ASPHALT JUNGLE and THE BADLANDERS, except that a main character gets out of jail and subsequently plans a heist. The endings are quite different. However, the first half of THE BADLANDERS is especially well directed by Delmer Daves, and it's an enjoyable film.