Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Honorary Oscar Campaign for Doris Day

If Facebook can put Betty White on SNL then Doris Day can finally get her long overdue golden statuette.

If you haven't already heard, there is a Facebook group campaigning for an Honorary Oscar for Doris Day. Link below-

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doris-Day-to-be-finally-Honored-by-the-Oscars/121899117830151?v=wall&story_fbid=125686027451460#!/pages/Doris-Day-to-be-finally-Honored-by-the-Oscars/121899117830151?v=wall

There you can meet other Doris fans and there is also contact information provided for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences so that you may put in your suggestion, or rather declaration (haha) for Doris and the golden man.

I'm amazed that this woman has never received an Oscar. She is a legend and still ranks as the #1 top ranking female box office star....and after 50 years no less! In the words of Roger Ebert via Twitter, "Why the *hell* doesn't Doris Day have an Honorary Oscar?" See, Roger Ebert knows what's up!

So, I'm asking you...join the group, tell your friends, and get the word out and most importantly drop a line at the Academy to politely prod them in the right direction!!

Edited by: harveysgrl1946 on May 29, 2010 1:09 PM

Doris Day may not want it, she may not like it, and she may not arrive on stage to receive it, but she certainly does deserve it. The tome entitled Considering Doris Day makes several salient points concerning her contributions to the American music scene and her cheerful, sunny attitudes that mark many of her film portayals.

And if you support this cause, there will be no nagging pangs of guilt that follow!

She has my vote and it's long overdue. Most people remember her from the great comedies she made in the 50's and 60's,or the TV series she did to get out of hock her husband put her in before he died, but what a lot forget she was one of the really great big band singers of the 40's and she was terrific. Great voice and style and I still say she was robbed of Oscar for her performance in "Love Me or Leave Me" with the wonderful James Cagney.She more then earned it........

> {quote:title=johnm_001 wrote:}{quote} The "whys" are obvious. The real question if WHY NOT???????????????????????????????

That's an easy answer. She's refused the honor. From what I've read she's said absolutely not and will not accept it, let alone appear. Whether her fans like it or not the Academy has to respect her wishes. It's really that simple.

Well, I'm not a privileged insider of Academy decisions or politics, and if, indeed, she has refused the honor, the point may be moot, but the enthusiasm of her fans still does reverberate with the desire for her to be officially honored. Her contributions to the music industry and her talented vocal abilities alone deserve recognition of some sort.

The Academy can still choose to honor her abilities and contributions to the entertainment industry.

A film retrospective at the next Oscar ceremony wouldn't dishonor anyone and would appease her

legions of fans..

It's magic.

> {quote:title=SueSueApplegate wrote:}{quote}

> Well, I'm not a privileged insider of Academy decisions or politics, and if, indeed, she has refused the honor, the point may be moot,

I'm not either, but she's been clear that she doesn't want the Academy to do anything for her just like she refused TCM's request to do a Private Screening interview with Robert O. I just think that if her fans really want to honor her, they'll accept that and not try and force anything on her that she doesn't want.

> {quote:title=JefCostello wrote:}{quote}

> I always thought she refused only because she didn't want to fly or something.

>

> I've never bought that excuse, but that's what I've always heard.

I don't know why she doesn't want to do it, but the reason doesn't really matter. She doesn't have to give a reason. The woman has said no and that's all that needs to be said.

Don't get me wrong. I love Doris Day, she was an huge talent and I'd certainly like to see her honored or interviewed, but it's her call and I think, like it or not, we should respect that.

Strange, that Greta Garbo was given an honorary ?Oscar? and she accepted the award in 1954, but didn?t show up at the festivities; Greta remained home in New York City. At first, Cary Grant wasn?t interested, until enough of his friends convinced him to accept his honorary ?Oscar? in 1970. So, this isn?t the first time various famous stars may have had second-thoughts about receiving a ?Life-Time? Academy Award.

As for Doris, I think she had something of a change of heart or tragic mood swing, when her only son Terry Melcher died of cancer. Everything associated to her social life seemed to slow down and eventually come to a stop; she no longer went out in public on a daily routine, doing her logical shopping; she stop visiting friends and greeting fans. Today, Doris doesn?t go out much at all. Reports in the tabloids say she may be suffering from a mild form of memory loss. Although, there have been these conflicting stories or reports about her health, one aspect is certain and that is her foundation for animals that appears to still be going strong. Whatever the case, it is probable to feel that she may never come to terms with granting an interview or accepting any sort of award. The last person to suggest she consider the offer from the academy was Clint Eastwood; he lives in the same area. Of course, nothing happened.

*I always thought she refused only because she didn't want to fly or something.*

There are a couple of threads that were started when the new unauthorized bio on her came out last year.

Bottom line is she doesn't like talking about her career, accepting awards or anything having to do with her time in Hollywood. She prefers to be called by her real name among her friends and just wants to live out her days in peace and quiet with her animals and a small cadre of friends she trusts and loves.

She never had an easy go of it in Hollywood, rarely had good taste in husbands and her son died before she did.

She seems happier in retirement than she did in Hollywood and that's the way she prefers it.

If memory serves me, a few years ago, overtures were made to her about an honorary Oscar and she politely asked them not to do it and told them if they did, she would not appear to accept it.

The Academy respected her wishes. Imagine the frenzy that would follow if they went ahead against her wishes and the bad light she would be cast in for not showing up to say thank you.

Sixty years ago, Garbo could not show up and it was no big deal. But the media today is not the same as it was in Garbo's day and the fall-out for both parties is much higher.

Edited by: lzcutter on May 31, 2010 9:58 AM

Thanks for this insightful post, lzcutter.

Just because her legions of fans, and I belong to that group, desire formal recognition

doesn't mean that she should accept an honor that is unconnected to her current

lifestyle. We all wish her continued peace and happiness, however elusive they

might have been for her in the past.

> {quote:title=SueSueApplegate wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks for this insightful post, lzcutter.

>

> Just because her legions of fans, and I belong to that group, desire formal recognition

> doesn't mean that she should accept an honor that is unconnected to her current

> lifestyle. We all wish her continued peace and happiness, however elusive they

> might have been for her in the past.

I second this. As a fan, it is sad when some of our favorite stars retreat from the public eye (for good) for the rest of their lives, and even if we don't get the word of mouth behind the scenes info through specials and interviews, we will always have their movies to enjoy.

I agree and, having been born in 1924, regardless of how successful her career was, I have a feeling that she would rather live in the present as each day counts. Dodo will always be with us in films, singing, dancing (and holding her own with the likes of Gene Nelson) and showing her marvelous comedic talent.