Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Best Years of Our Lives

skimpole

Ah, yet another mistake by those that created the appendix. In the text that covers the movies it has 'BITS' (as in bit players), and it list a Robert Ryan as a Policeman.

But I guess those doing the appendix were not as on the ball as you and didn't know that was a DIFFERENT Ryan.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to manually correct my version so I don't pass misinformation.

That puts Mitchum in the lead by 2 now! He is my favorite noir actor and now his lead is safe!

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Aug 3, 2011 8:36 PM

I was looking at the credits before I watched the film. I noticed the Robert Ryan credit and I thought that I had better keep an eye out for Robert Ryan but I couldn't spot him. I paid very close attention, it was early in the AM and I wasn't nodding. It seemed highly possible since it was an RKO film and that's where Bob was working at the time.

So, when it was over, I was going to have the IMDb delete the erroneous info, but I double-checked just in case and that's when I discovered that it was another Ryan.

I just hope that the paychecks didn't get issued to the wrong Robert Ryans.

Clore wrote:

>I was discussing this with a friend of mine and he says that a lot of films in the digiital format suffer from this. Somehow the range is such that soft sounds are softer and loud ones are louder and that it mostly affects the soundtracks to recent films.

>

>I do notice that when I watch recent films on TV, I'm constantly playing with the remote as the scores need lowering and the dialogue passages need raising. Again, not all films but then I don't tend to dwell on the high-tech comic book adaptations.

h4. The Low & Order music effect

This is another possibility. This one has bothered my son and me since the program Law & Order started. I call it the _Low_ & Order effect, for at times during the program Mike Post's score drowns out the conversation! Usually in the last 20 minutes in the program. It seems almost 20 decibels louder than the characters speaking their lines! We suspect it is part of the broadcast bad audio technicalities, and not necessarily by design. It does happen during the aforementioned parts, and not for emphasis. I am not speaking the show's signature two-note marking the shift in story plot.

It could be that the broadcast technically was pumped, for watching the DVD I did not notice the characters being drowned out by Hugo's orchestration. Can you fine tune your TV audio?

Edited by: casablancalover on Aug 3, 2011 7:12 PM, because she forgot the reference of the original post..

Yes, i can fine tune the audio. There's a six-band equalizer that can be altered on the "custom" setting as well as various pre-set configurations, most of which aren't prefereable.

I haven't watched a TV program in ages, I only watch various movie channels with the exception of some BURNS AND ALLEN episodes on Antenna TV. But they're edited for additional commercial time so I stopped watching them. I get all of my news from the web or actual newspapers.

When I watched AVATAR on HBO the volume changes were wearing out my fingertip. I haven't noticed it while watching any of my own DVDs but my son's THE DARK KNIGHT was another frustrating experience.

:D casablancalover: I was going to answer Clore but you did it so much better than I could. I'll just add my second to your comments and thank you. This is one of my favorite scores and the way it's used makes it another character in the story. The citation scene would not have been as powerful without it. :D

I have to say, Wouldbestar, that Friedhofer's score is beautiful but doesn't get too cute.. Schamaltzy is always a hazard in drama like that. The original soundtrack (or close to it) is available on iTunes, and I picked it up!

I always wonder how Friedhofer felt about Hoagy Carmichael, one of the premiere tin pan alley songwriters, being in the picture. This movie has Two Musical Geniuses contributing to it. When Homer asks Butch to play a little something, Hoagy proceeds to give us his own Lazy River...

Among My Souvenirs is written by neither Carmichael's or Friedhofer's. I wonder why it was chosen; maybe a personal, sentimental favorite of Wyler's.

I see you know music well. Hoagy Carmichael is indeed one of the great American songwritters. Just for Stardust alone he would be up there in my view. I was watching Monk and Wille Nelson was a guest star. They played Georgia On My Mind and he gave Ray Charles the credit. I didn't dig that and was disapointed in Nelson. Hoagy wrote that song in 1930. Yes, Charles made it a major hit for another generation but the song is all Hoagy. I play the song when I gig and I ALWAY credit Hoagy. People have come to me and ask if the song is a Ray Charles song and I have to correct them.

Hoagy has been in so many great movies like To Have and Have Not, Topper, Young Man with a Horn, etc....

Thank you for the comment. I know a little something about many things. Natural curiosity.

I have a French lesson now.. No kidding. I want to sing La Marseillaise in France someday, so I need to be prepared. One cannot manifest a dream without preparing.

Edited by: casablancalover on Aug 3, 2011 9:54 PM

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

>

> I have a French lesson now.. No kidding. I want to sing La Marseillaise in France someday, so I need to be prepared. One cannot manifest a dream without preparing.

>

That's a good plan, Casa. Word is if you try to sing that in Casablanca, they sometimes close down the establishment you're singin' it in. ;)

(...and they come up with the craziest excuses for doin' so, too!)

Yep james, I too think that "Stardust" is just about the most beautiful and poetic Standard ever written.

Hoagy done good with THAT one, alright!

(...and everytime I hear the Nat King Cole's version of it, it seems to do the same thing to my eyes that this movie we're talkin' about in this thread does to 'em)

I love that version of Stardust as well. Johnny Mathis did it in the sixties, and it seemed with the exact arrangement- he wasn't going to mess with perfection.

I don't know if I will get to Casablanca (not even on my bucket list) but if anyone should question my patriotism, I do know the _four_ verses of Our National Anthem. I just have trouble reaching some of the notes (like many of us).

Isn't it highly unusual to have 2 film actors with exactly the same name? Doesn't that cause a problem with SAG, so that the later one has to use a slightly different name? If I became a film actor, could I call myself Brad Pitt?

Edited by: finance on Aug 4, 2011 10:50 AM