Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

8 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Each day I try to remember to see who will be on the Dick Cavett show (on Decades TV) and if it is some I'm fond of like Mitchum,  I'll watch it.   I did see a  Mitchum on the show about a month ago.      The show was tapped right after Mitchum had made Ryan's Daughter and that film was a focus of the interview.    I found Mitchum to be funny,  and even 'warm' (well for Mitchum) and he was fairly open with Cavett.      

Mitchum's interview with Cavett is funny.  I don't remember him drinking during the interview, but that's not to say that it didn't happen.  I find it fascinating to watch these interviews (and Johnny Carson) where all the guests and sometimes even the host (!) is smoking and drinking during the interview. 

I think it's in Mitchum's interview with Cavett, he talks about how he and Kirk Douglas keep getting confused for one another.  A woman came up to Mitchum, called him Kirk Douglas, and then asked "Kirk" for his autograph. Mitchum said that he wrote something rude and signed Kirk's name to it.  Lol!  I think this anecdote might have been in the interview you mention where Mitchum was promoting Ryan's Daughter.

7 hours ago, Moorman said:

John Wayne for instance,  made movies that paralled what his character REALLY is.  Widmark is a example of a man who made a POINT to seperate art from life because he didn't want it misconstrued that the art was who he really is.  John Wayne NEVER did that...

Uh-huh, so in essence just another or different way of saying that some actors had or have the ability, talent or skill to "stretch" (as I understand it's called in the craft) and believably inhabit characters who are nothing like themselves, and THEN some actors don't or never did...have that ability, talent or skill, that is.

(...right?!)  ;)

no way duke wayne coulda been a physical coward..

1. he was a star football player

2. he clobbered a Sinatra goon with a chair to quiet down ole blue eyes' party

could Sinatra have confronted wayne about hitting his goon with a chair? sure he could but he didn't.

you just didn't mess around with the Duke.

John Wayne Colour Version Drawing by Andrew Read
12 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

could Sinatra have confronted wayne about hitting his goon with a chair? sure he could but he didn't.

Where did somebody say THE DUKE was a coward?

14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Mitchum's interview with Cavett is funny.  I don't remember him drinking during the interview, but that's not to say that it didn't happen.  I find it fascinating to watch these interviews (and Johnny Carson) where all the guests and sometimes even the host (!) is smoking and drinking during the interview. 

I think it's in Mitchum's interview with Cavett, he talks about how he and Kirk Douglas keep getting confused for one another.  A woman came up to Mitchum, called him Kirk Douglas, and then asked "Kirk" for his autograph. Mitchum said that he wrote something rude and signed Kirk's name to it.  Lol!  I think this anecdote might have been in the interview you mention where Mitchum was promoting Ryan's Daughter.

thanx, but you can't miss the booze   seen interview thing about 5 times in 6yrs now Miss CAVETT, he also-(they were at one months aired on tcm) K. HEPBURN, HITCH, BRANDO, WOODY ALLEN & more THE GREAT SPENCER TRACY literally refused to do those type of interviews, died anyway l967, but there is not one single in the media(on film) interview with him

2 minutes ago, spence said:

Where did somebody say THE DUKE was a coward?

While Wayne didn't enlist in the Armed Forces in WWII,   the reason was because he was selfish and not because he was a coward.

His career was really starting to take off after Stagecoach and the Republic studio suits didn't wish to send him to war,  since it would have put a pause in his career development.

(like it did Holden,  Glenn Ford,  and others that were just starting to get noticed in the early 40s). 

Just now, spence said:

thanx, but you can't miss the booze   seen interview thing about 5 times in 6yrs now Miss CAVETT, he also-(they were at one months aired on tcm) K. HEPBURN, HITCH, BRANDO, WOODY ALLEN & more THE GREAT SPENCER TRACY literally refused to do those type of interviews, died anyway l967, but there is not one single in the media(on film) interview with him

When asked I think his 2nd visit to a pvt. screenings-(they first I think was with JANE RUSSELL & asOSBO said he gave him the stonewall & barely spoke to OSBORNE, but on the 2nd he said HEAVEN KNOWS MR. ALLYSON was is own favorite of his 97

in a book I saw in a store=(was low on money) & him speaking about SINATRA he said FS was so touch & he could beat him, but FS kinda scared him & was the type to still keep on coming

19 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

While Wayne didn't enlist in the Armed Forces in WWII,   the reason was because he was selfish and not because he was a coward.

His career was really starting to take off after Stagecoach and the Republic studio suits didn't wish to send him to war,  since it would have put a pause in his career development.

(like it did Holden,  Glenn Ford,  and others that were just starting to get noticed in the early 40s). 

I know very well about this famous rumor about THE DUKE-(several have backed it up, even BACALL during THE SHOOTST) & I got to view this first hand& got several photos of it, WAYNE'S feet were soo tiny at only 5 & 1/2 he was 4-F & she said a big man with tiny feet, he used to have to soak them in between takes, that's where she first noticed this & the reason for his legendary walk as well

some people I speak to about him & are fans already know this fact & others are amazed!

& KATE HEPBURN verified this as well, him in such pain during ROOSTER COGBURN

Can you believe his foot prints were the same size as NATALIE WOOD'S

my mother's foot also fit into his and hers; in frt of grauman's

Can you imane him being 6'4 & 1/2 & reached up to approx. 275lbs during THE COWBOYS (l972) BRUCE DERN still talks about they fight rehearsal with him & DERN was busted up a lot, just from rubbing up against him doing it

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I think we've discussed this before on here, but when I read a thorough Wayne biography a couple of years ago, they discussed his WWII enlistment issues in depth.

He was granted a family deferment (which Wayne applied for) when his first draft notice came in. After the war office changed the draft guidelines a while later, it looked like Wayne would be drafted after all, so he volunteered to join but only if he were granted an officer's commission the same way John Ford was. However, Congress had begun cracking down on the large number of such officer commissions being doled out, and Wayne was told that he'd be a regular draftee. It was at this point that the Republic bigwigs interceded and made sure Wayne wouldn't be drafted, to continue his "morale-boosting film career".

• Thanks 1

THE GREAT TRACY couldn't enlist already because his kidneys were already that early pretty shot! 

REAGAN was 4-F due to being both near sided and far sided-(same as me)

FLYNN got another disease way overseas of course from all the ladies he chased

& others

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I think we've discussed this before on here, but when I read a thorough Wayne biography a couple of years ago, they discussed his WWII enlistment issues in depth.

He was granted a family deferment (which Wayne applied for) when his first draft notice came in. After the war office changed the draft guidelines a while later, it looked like Wayne would be drafted after all, so he volunteered to join but only if he were granted an officer's commission the same way John Ford was. However, Congress had begun cracking down on the large number of such officer commissions being doled out, and Wayne was told that he'd be a regular draftee. It was at this point that the Republic bigwigs interceded and made sure Wayne wouldn't be drafted, to continue his "morale-boosting film career".

Haven't you heard/read things though about having that foot size?

Just now, spence said:

Haven't you heard/read things though about having that foot size?

That's also where WAYNE got his political views from FORD  his all-time idol   They did 21 together

As for SINATRA he tried to enlist but had that awfully scared & punctured ear drum he got when virtually born dead

Can you believe back then he was only about 125lbs at 5'8 & 1/2

We've discussed Wayne's shoe size in the past, and the urban legend about his "tiny" feet being the cause of his lack of wartime military service. While his actual shoe size of 9 and a half is relatively small for someone of Wayne's height (6'4''), it's not debilitating (he was a champion-level athlete, remember), and had nothing to do with his being drafted or not. By the way, John Wayne's "official" stats have his boot size as 11. He was also known to wear to lifts  make himself look even taller. 

The reason Wayne's feet look so small at Grauman's is because he didn't plant them in the cement properly. 

9 minutes ago, spence said:

As for SINATRA he tried to enlist but had that awfully scared & punctured ear drum he got when virtually born dead

Can you believe back then he was only about 125lbs at 5'8 & 1/2

Don't know why MITCHUM wasn't in THE WAR though, it was just after that working in a plant though all of a sudden he went temporarily blind! He says it was due to hating his job so much

Just now, LawrenceA said:

We've discussed Wayne's shoe size in the past, and the urban legend about his "tiny" feet being the cause of his lack of wartime military service. While his actual shoe size of 9 and a half is relatively small for someone of Wayne's height (6'4''), it's not debilitating (he was a champion-level athlete, remember), and had nothing to do with his being drafted or not. By the way, John Wayne's "official" stats have his boot size as 11. He was also known to wear to lifts to make himself look even taller. 

The reason Wayne's feet look so small at Grauman's is because he didn't plant them in the cement properly. 

But both KATE & BACALL backed this up during making of docu's as well

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Uh-huh, so in essence just another or different way of saying that some actors had or have the ability, talent or skill to "stretch" (as I understand it's called in the craft) and believably inhabit characters who are nothing like themselves, and THEN some actors don't or never did...have that ability, talent or skill, that is.

(...right?!)  ;)

DARGO, I like Widmark too, but you like him over JW?  He certainly lived long at age 94 though!

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I remember reading that JACKIE GLEASON was drafted and rejected as 'too fat'.  

,y no 5 idol, due to his incredible RALPH KRAMDEN! His heaviest was 286lbs & was about 5'11  THE REAL & DESERVED MR. TELEVISION

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

We've discussed Wayne's shoe size in the past, and the urban legend about his "tiny" feet being the cause of his lack of wartime military service. While his actual shoe size of 9 and a half is relatively small for someone of Wayne's height (6'4''), it's not debilitating (he was a champion-level athlete, remember), and had nothing to do with his being drafted or not. By the way, John Wayne's "official" stats have his boot size as 11. He was also known to wear to lifts  make himself look even taller. 

Got a couple books on him as well, did you notice the post I started ABOUT ANYONE ALSO COLLECTING MOVIE BOOKS?  Do you have many as well & what our you favs?

8 minutes ago, spence said:

DARGO, I like Widmark too, but you like him over JW?  He certainly lived long at age 94 though!

SHIRLEY MacLaine once made the statement that ROBERT MITCHUM was far superior at playing villians  ala his MAX CASY & THE PREACHER Mr. POWELL

as for the AMPAS/ACADEMY, who thinks he deserved a lot more attention from is his peers or not

As for his only shot s. actor in l945's STORY OF G.I. JOE (***1/2) in retrospect he said He''l I even Voted for JIMMY DUNNE the winner that year for the marvelous A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

nipkow, where and where was it where he clobbered a Sinatra guy  the reason I asked of many is as frank grew older he grew of course more in power  ala his mob connections,etc  the call those guys around him guys wit no necks, mostly bodyguards and such his beloved late friend and bodyguard jilly Rizzo actually blew up in the early to md l980's on Mulholland drive  they were such close pals jilly is even interred near him and is mother and father in palm springs

Yeah, it takes more guts to play football and hit somebody over the head with a chair than to face the

Wehrmacht in battle. Right. Wouldn't Tracy have been too old to serve in WW II? Forty one at the

time.