Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

15 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah, it takes more guts to play football and hit somebody over the head with a chair than to face the

Wehrmacht in battle. Right. Wouldn't Tracy have been too old to serve in WW II? Forty one at the

time.

nope, even leslie howard served in the RAF & was 50 when killed in a plane crash or someone shot him down in'43  Trust me here, I've read & seen a ton of TRACY over 41yrs

2 hours ago, spence said:

DARGO, I like Widmark too, but you like him over JW?  He certainly lived long at age 94 though!

For me Widmark was a much better actor than John Wayne.    When it comes to their off-screen behavior as well as over all personality,   Widmark was miles ahead.

1 hour ago, spence said:

nope, even leslie howard served in the RAF & was 50 when killed in a plane crash or someone shot him down in'43  Trust me here, I've read & seen a ton of TRACY over 41yrs

I'm sure you've read a lot about Tracy but why would a 41 year old movie star at the height of his fame try to

enlist in the armed forces? Sounds a bit unusual. During WW II Howard went on making films. I don't think

he was in the RAF. There is still a lot of controversy about why his plane was shot down. We may never know

for certain.

19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

For me Widmark was a much better actor than John Wayne.    When it comes to their off-screen behavior as well as over all personality,   Widmark was miles ahead.

yeah but wayne was never contemptuous of his public.

he gave them what he knew he was good at and that's what his fans wanted so he never let them down.

did it matter to widmark that his fans wanted him to reprise Tommy Udo? it did not.

when your fans adore you in a certain performance an actor should never forget that.

The Duke never forgot that. 

i mean would it have killed widmark to play Udo a 2nd time?

film actors shouldn't disregard their fans. 

it ain't nice.

"widmark that squirt! he's lucky I lettum play me."

Tommy Udo | Antagonists Wiki | Fandom

11 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

film actors shouldn't disregard their fans. 

Well last night showing of Double Indemnity say differently;   Billy Wilder had to push both MacMurray and Stanwyck to take on these dark roles.    Ben talked about this last night.

Here is the famous Stanwyck and Wilder quotes:

I said "I love the script and I love you, but I am a little afraid after all these years of playing heroines to go into an out-and-out killer." And Mr. Wilder – and rightly so – looked at me and he said "Well, are you a mouse or an actress?" And I said "Well, I hope I'm an actress." He said "Then do the part". And I did and I'm very grateful to him.

PS:  the above applies to all artist;   E.g. musicians - if one's main focus in pleasing fans,,,, well,   one would just play their 5 hits,  over-and-over-and-over again.   Instead one needs to grow,, take risks,  experiment,,,,,   often one hits mud,,,  but sometimes one strikes gold. 

• Like 2

How about this--Udo turns into a vampire and the flick is titled Kiss of Undeath.

He can use that huge hat to block out the sun.

• Confused 1
16 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

How about this--Udo turns into a vampire and the flick is titled Kiss of Undeath.

He can use that huge hat to block out the sun.

Yea,  but then he would catch the virus.

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  but then he would catch the virus.

Maybe he would be fortunate enough to bite a Clorox drinking Trump fan.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:26 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Interesting.   I never really thought about this,  but I see your point.     But during WWII Wayne didn't make movies that paralleled what is character REALLY is,  since he made lame excuses to get out of serving but made movies as a war hero!    E.g. When Wayne made They Were Expendable he was talking about others,  and clearly not himself.     (unlike Stewart, Power,   Gable,  etc....). 

So it appears that Wayne had VARIOUS  character flaws.  Hypocrisy being one of them.  

On 4/23/2020 at 7:08 PM, NipkowDisc said:

yeah, but sometimes an actor should keep his fans in mind and give them what they want instead of deferring to personal ego like Widmark did.

Duke gave his fans what they wanted but egocentric Widmark never gave his fans what he had to know they wanted...

a reprise of his indellible 

Richard Widmark in "Kiss of Death" 1947 - YouTube

Wayne gave his audience  what they wanted?  YOU said this. Not me...

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-searchers-1956

A cover story inNew Yorkmagazine called it the most influential movie in American history. And yet at its center is a difficult question, because the Wayne character is racist without apology--and so, in a less outspoken way, are the other white characters. Is the film intended to endorse their attitudes, or to dramatize and regret them? Today we see it through enlightened eyes, but in 1956 many audiences accepted its harsh view of Indians.