Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Red River

southern1

I'm a great fan, like all of us, of the classics, esp. Westerns w/ John Wayne. I am convinced that there is a version of "Red River" in which Walter Brennan does the voice over of the journal several times in the picture. I have not been able to find this. Have I dreamed this or has someone seen this version as well. If so I would love to add this one to my collection.

Southern1

*I have not been able to find this. Have I dreamed this or has someone seen this version as well. If so I would love to add this one to my collection.*

As Rich noted, it is real. However, the other version without the narration tends to be the one that people know and like the most.

The version you are looking for is very difficult version to find. Last summer, a film archive list that I belong to was searching for this version and we bacially came up a cropper.

I believe the version you cited was aired on Encore Westerns a few nights ago. Since Encore does encore you might take a look at their schedules to see if it will be shown again. I don't mean the remake which Encore also aired. Good luck.

The narration version, which also has a few trimmed scenes, was the version that UA Television syndicated for many years. Most of the official 16mm prints are this version. In this version, the Main Title does not have the chorus overdub - it is just orchestral. This is the version that was produced for international distribution and subsequently used for the film's US reissue. The "book" version re-surfaced in the late 1970's and 16mm prints were made available for rental. When Key Video released the film on VHS, it was the "book version" - the first time mass audiences had seen that version since 1948.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe that I missed this thread when I had a question about Red River the other night and my question was related to the journal as well. I've only seen the unnarrated b&w version but will look for the other. I know this is a delicate issue but I'd like to see the colorized one as I think it should be illegal for any Western not to be because of the usually beautiful scenery in them. Ant way you cut it, I love this movie.

This is late as I've been out of town, but I recently saw the "colorized"version of Red River. No, it does not add to the picture as you can tell it's a basically "color by numbers" and to movie purists like I think we all are, it is an unholy thing. But if you're still interested, the colorized version can be found on Netflix in the instant viewing section.