Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SueSueApplegate

SUE SUE'S TCM FESTIVAL TRAVEL BLOG...

thumbnailCAP28IX8.jpg

June Alyson, Joan Collins, Dolores Gray, Ann Sheridan, Ann Miller, and Joan Blondell sporting those delightful Helen Rose creations....

Helen knew how to drape the divas! I especially enjoy all those costumes from *The Opposite Sex.* It would be abfab to have Joan Collins introduce the restored print of that film at TCM Festival 2012 with Robert Osborne. Can anyone arrange that for me?

I just have to know more about Dolores Gray's three-tiered bouffant number with the sparkly azure clutch, Joan Collins' sunrise strapless in tulle with appliqued white poppies, Ann Sheridan's deep v-neck plunge with white satin gloves, Joan Blondell's off-the-shoulder satin number, and Ann Miller's strapless flowered mermaid...

Tell me SueSue...were you a Vogue reporter in a previous life? Your commentary is very astute. Hmmm...I hope TCM gives you a call for next year's festival. You know your stuff!

thumbnailCAGL1FLD.jpg

That trailblazing icon of stage and screen, Miss Lena Horne, in a Helen Rose creation.

(Rose created most of Horne's MGM costumes.)

LenaHorneLenaHorne1.jpg

Helen Rose writes lovingly and respectfully of Lena Horne in her autobiography, *Just Make Them* *Beautiful*, and recalled a moment in her memoirs when Lena Horne first reported to the hair department at MGM. The hairdresser turned to stone as soon as she saw the black singer and "refused to work on Lena," claimed Rose. "She said it was against union rules (which I doubted) and that we would have to send out for a black hairdresser. I blew up. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Lena never lost her composure. She just sat quietly, never saying a word, behaving like the lady she is."

purpleflower.jpg

Horne, who was, at times, self-conscious about her body image, according to biographer James Gavin, was gifted with Rose's wizardry for design "to spin the illusion that Lena Horne had one of the best bodies on the lot." Gavin's book, *Stormy Weather*, was published in 2009.

openmo.jpg

During the filming of *Stormy Weather*, personal issues weighed on Horne heavily during the shoot. Wardrobe test photos show a young woman whose seesawing weight had risen. Rose, who designed the costumes for the movie, recalled how she and a depressed Horne bonded for moral support."At that time we were both rather timid and not too experienced in studio procedure or politics," Rose stated. "To keep our sanity, Lena and I talked about everything under the sun, except the studio. We talked of our families, our beliefs, our hopes and dreams."

thumbnailCANRG9KO.jpg

Through the years with her personal, professional, and political struggles, Lena Horne's armor might be nothing more but a chiffon sheath, but her attitude of strength and courage, ensured that she survived it all ...in style!

grey.jpg

Link to an interview with Gail Lumet Buckley, Lena Horne's daughter, on NPR: http://www.ibwff.com/2010/05/flashback-npr-interviews-gail-lumet-buckley-about-her-mother-lena-horne/

I hope everyone had a few moments to reflect on those dark December days of 1941 and remember our American servicemen who valiantly served the United States of America and gave their lives to protect us.

My uncle was a galley cook on the ARIZONA and his name is on the momument at Pearl Harbor. Please remember how the efforts made on behalf of the safety of our country continue to inspire the American spirit.

I never met him because I was born many years later, but I knew his spirit, valor, and humor through the lovingly told stories of my family who remembered his many gifts.

hat-1.jpg

Miss Debbie Reynolds, the perennial trouper. Stylish, lovable, popular, ...just keep those adjectives rolling in, just like that stylish gal, herself!

Helen2.jpg

Helen Rose also designed dresses for Debbie Reynolds,

and one of the loveliest ones was an outfit for *Goodbye, Charlie*.

imagesCAR7IT94-1.jpg

Why, Debbie is always surprising us!

clint.jpg

And she just knows everybody, dahlinks.....

flashyred.jpg

She's got a great set of gams...

debs.jpg

Why, she's always ready to say "Howdy!"

So I hope this stylish, popular gal can arrange a return trip to the TCM Film Festival in 2012. There are just lots of folks who would love to see her chat about Helen Rose, Fashion, and Style! Somehow she managed to preserve and maintain a mountain of historic Hollywood fashion and memorabilia all by her lil' ole lonesome self. Gee, I wonder why she hasn't been nominated, accepted, and honored at Kennedy Center yet.

Did I miss something? Is her name on the list already?

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/honors/history/home.html

Oh, well. There is always 2012. Maybe someone could start an email campaign.

She also has been chairman of the board for The Thalians: http://www.debbiereynolds.com/thalians.htm

Dear TCM City friends,

I had a wonderful phone call from Hadda, a TCM City poster and fellow traveler, last evening extolling the virtues of the first TCM cruise, and she also "hadda" fantastic time aboard the USS TCM. Hadda may be posting soon on the TCM Cruise forum.

It sounded like so much fun, so look for her travel insights!

From the Huffington Post on 12/1/2011:

Debbie Reynolds has endured a notoriously difficult personal life. The actress' first marriage to Eddie Fisher ended in 1959 -- after four years and two children -- when Fisher left her for a widowed Elizabeth Taylor, despite the fact that the two women were close friends. While Reynolds was understandably livid -- for a while, at least -- she later welcomed Taylor back into her life, and the two remained lifelong friends. So we wondered: how the heck does a friendship bounce back from a betrayal as significant as that?

HuffPost Divorce had a chance to ask the iconic entertainer just that question Thursday at the Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills, following a tour she hosted of never-before-displayed treasures from her massive collection of film memorabilia, set to go up for auction Saturday (Reynolds was in attendance as part of the day-long TedxWomen conference organized in conjunction with the Paley). Below, her candid comments:

Elizabeth Taylor ran off with your husband. You later became friends with her. You even have memorabilia from her films in your collection. How did you move past her betrayal?

Elizabeth and I were good friends when we were young -- 17. And then when we got older and Eddie [Fisher|http://forums.tcm.com/] left with Elizabeth, things changed, of course. But we wound up to be very good friends again, and laughed about it. Elizabeth was a very strong, powerful woman. When she saw something that she wanted, she got it. And that just happened to be my husband.

How do you get to that positive point with a friend after a situation like that? Did it have anything to do with the fact that you married and divorced twice more after splitting from Fisher?

You have to look at what life is all about, and is it worth it? And, is he worth it? The friendship was perhaps worth more. Divorce and marriage are very close. You read about it every day. Somebody splits up and they stay friends. Someone else splits up and they're terrible enemies and they kill each other. Well, that didn't happen in my life -- it was just a split -- and I was bright enough to know that I respected my friendship with Liz, and I felt that we both had something more to do with it other than being angry with each other.

Was there one moment you remember where you said, 'OK, we're over this?'

Yes. We got on the same boat to go to Europe -- the Queen Elizabeth. I sent a note to her and she sent a note to me in passing, and then we had dinner together. She was married to Richard Burton by then. I had been remarried at that point. And we just said, 'let's call it a day.' And we got smashed. And we had a great evening, and stayed friends since then.

2.jpg

*Since I've already posted about Debbie Reynold's Auction, I think it's time I make an update post for Elizabeth Taylor's, and if I heard one word nineteen different times yesterday, it was the word "style." All the pundits and pontificators were buzzing about the record-selling prices reached by the auction items that celebrated Elizabeth Taylor and her "stylish" jewels. So now it's my turn....*

0afK8m73Dm2El_1889.jpg

I think this ruby and diamond ring is delightful. I just wanted to let everyone know just in case you haven't finished shopping for me.

0e9r0229Wu9X3_1889.jpg

The Mike Todd Tiara...

018meWJdoH7vi_1889.jpg

I was fascinated by this bracelet!

elizabeth20taylor20auction--876230295_v2

But La Peregrina is one of my favorite pieces of jewelry in the whole collection. And what a collection.

From the Berkshire Eagle....

NEW YORK -- Elizabeth Taylor’s jewelry collection sold for a record-setting $115 million -- including more than $11.8 million for a pearl necklace and more than $8.8 million for a diamond ring given to her by Richard Burton -- at a Christie’s auction Tuesday night of memorabilia amassed by the late actress.

The pearl, diamond and ruby necklace, known as "La Peregrina," reached the world record price of $11,842,500. The price surpassed the previous auction record for a pearl, set in 2007 with the sale of The Baroda Pearls for $7,096,000.

Burton bought the necklace at auction in 1969 for Taylor for $37,000.

Taylor died in Los Angeles in March at age 79. A jewelry lover, she had pieces from some of the most famous names in the jewelry world in her collection.

The 33.19-carat diamond ring sold for $8,818,500. The ring was purchased by a private buyer from Asia, according to a Christie’s spokesman.

Among the other high-profile items was a diamond bracelet given to the "National Velvet" and "Cleopatra" actress by singer Michael Jackson, with an estimated sale price of $30,000 to $50,000. It sold for $194,500. All prices include the buyer’s premium.

Part of the proceeds will go to The Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation, which she established in 1991 to help people living with AIDS.

Follow this link to read more about it:

http://www.elizabethtayloraidsfoundation.org/

If you haven't had enough, here's just one more article on the auction: http://news.ph.msn.com/lifestyle/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5658149

For actual auction info, go to Christie's: http://www.christies.com/elizabethtaylor/the_sales.aspx

*Just received this official update, and it looks like it will be another exciting year at the TCM Festival 2012!*

In celebration of the central theme of the 2012 TCM Classic Film Festival, we are excited to announce that we will be including programming tracks that put a spotlight on the style of Film Noir, the Art Deco movement, the legendary costumes of Travis Banton, and the illustrious 100 year history of Paramount Studios with a special focus on the Robert Evans era. Additional programming tracks will be announced in the coming weeks.

We are also thrilled to announce legendary producer Robert Evans, renowned film noir historian Eddie Muller and preservationist and producer Serge Bromberg will be in attendance.

*Paramount Renaissance*

*The TCM Classic Film Festival will mark the 100th Anniversary of Paramount Pictures with screenings of five films from the studio's remarkable years under the leadership of Robert Evans.*

* LOVE STORY (1970) - Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal star in the story of young love that helped save Paramount from bankruptcy.

* THE GODFATHER PART II (1974) - Winner of six Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Francis Ford Coppola directs a star-studded cast lead by Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Diane Keaton and Robert Duvall.

* CHINATOWN (1974) - Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway and John Huston star in this neo-noir directed by Roman Polanski.

* MARATHON MAN (1976) - Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier and Roy Scheider star in this thriller based on the book and screenplay by William Goldman and directed by John Schlesinger.

* BLACK SUNDAY (1977) - Director John Frankenheimer’s tale of terrorism at the Super Bowl stars Bruce Dern, Robert Shaw and Marthe Keller.

*Style in the Movies – The Legendary Costumes of Travis Banton*

*Travis Banton dressed the likes of Mae West, Claudette Colbert, Carole Lombard and a host of other glamorous stars—he also was the costume designer who trained Edith Head. Films will include:*

* NOTHING SACRED (1937) - The first screwball comedy to be shot in color, William Wellman directs Fredric March as a newspaper man who turns a dying woman, played by Carole Lombard, in to a media sensation.

*Style in the Movies – The Noir Style*

*This collection explores the unique style of film noir, known for its often-shadowy black-and-white photography and stylistic set design. Films will include:*

* GUN CRAZY (1950) - John Dall and Peggy Cummins star as lovesick sharpshooters on a crime spree in this Joseph H. Lewis directed classic.

* CRY DANGER (1951) - Dick Powell stars as an ex-con out to find the culprits who framed him for a crime he didn’t commit.

*Style in the Movies – Deco Design*

*In addition to previously announced screening of SWING TIME (1936), the lineup will include:*

* OUR DANCING DAUGHTERS (1928) - A new print of director Harry Beaumont’s Jazz-age silent melodrama starring Joan Crawford.

*Additional Events & Screenings*

* GIRL SHY (1924) - Composer Robert Israel will be on hand to conduct his original score to Harold Lloyd's delightful comedy.

*Rarities and Shorts – Presented by Serge Bromberg*

*As only he can, Bromberg will share a special presentation of rarities and rarely seen shorts from the earliest days of film.*

For more information, go to the Festivals website: http://www.tcm.com/festival/

thumbnail-5.jpg

HAVE A STYLISHLY CLASSIC CHRISTMAS!

thumbnailCA2MBTNG.jpg

It's wonderful to be together ....

t2.jpg

with family...

friends.jpg

and friends!

Happy Holidays From Sue Sue!

20092_0029_1_md.jpg

Claudette Colbert wore this lovely lame lounger in *Cleopatra*.

It was designed by the famous Travis Banton.

the-gilded-lily-claudette-colbert-in-a-g

Another lovely Travis Banton outfit, and Claudette is actually wearing this one!

Look what I found in the Texas State Historical Association's *Handbook of Texas* online:

BANTON, TRAVIS (1894–1958). Travis Banton, Hollywood costume designer known for the "Paramount Look," the son of Rennie B. and Maggie (Jones) Banton, was born at Waco, Texas, on August 18, 1894. When he was two the family moved to New York. Banton's parents later joined him in Hollywood. During his early years in New York his talents developed in art, theater, and custom fashion design. He served in the navy during World War I, enrolled at Columbia University to please his parents, and studied at the Art Students League and the New York School of Fine and Applied Art. He worked on his own as a dress designer and at the fashion house of Lucile. While he was an apprentice with Madame Francis (or Frances) his designs were selected by Mary Pickford for her wedding to Douglas Fairbanks. After designing for Norma Talmadge in the East Coast film Poppy (1917), he soon distinguished himself with costumes for the Ziegfeld Follies and other stage productions, an interest he resumed at the end of his life by dressing Rosalind Russell in the 1956 Broadway production of Auntie Mame. At the time of his death, Banton was designing for Dinah Shore's television show.

He won accolades for dressing some of the world's most popular and glamorous actresses during Hollywood's golden era. His best work was executed before the establishment in 1948 of the now-coveted Academy Award for costume design. In 1924 Walter Wanger brought Banton to Hollywood, where he was contracted by Paramount studios as an assistant to Howard Greer. Banton garnered instant acclaim for dressing star Leatrice Joy and mannequins in the style show for The Dressmaker from Paris (1925). As Paramount's chief designer between 1929 and 1938, followed by freelance film and TV work as part of his couture business, Banton dressed more than 160 films. He played a major role in creating images for movie greats Marlene Dietrich, Carole Lombard, Claudette Colbert, and Mae West. The essence of film-costume elegance appears in the visual classics of Dietrich vehicles such as The Scarlet Empress (1934) and Angel (1937). For the latter, Banton's staff labored weeks; one hand-sewn garment was a Fabergé-inspired gown of chiffon lavished with beading and bordered with Russian sable at a reported cost of $8,000.

Banton also designed for Tallulah Bankhead, Clara Bow, Kitty Carlisle, Ruth Chatterton, Kay Francis, Miriam Hopkins, Ida Lupino, Pola Negri (see CHALUPEC, BARBARA A.), Merle Oberon, Gail Patrick, Sylvia Sidney, Lilyan Tashman, and Florence A. Vidor. Of the films he dressed, many are recognized as classics–1927: Wings; 1928: The Wild Party; 1930: Morocco; 1931: Dishonoured, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; 1932: Shanghai Express, Blonde Venus, Night After Night, Trouble In Paradise, A Farewell to Arms, No Man of Her Own, The Sign of the Cross, Sinners In the Sun; 1933: Design for Living, I'm No Angel, Death Takes A Holiday, Bolero; 1934: We're Not Dressing, Rumba, Belle of the Nineties, Ruggles of Red Gap, The Gilded Lily; 1935: The Devil is A Woman, The Crusades, Goin' to Town, So Red the Rose, Anything Goes; 1936: Desire, My Man Godfrey, The Big Broadcast of 1937, Love Before Breakfast; 1937: Maid of Salem, I Met Him in Paris, Nothing Sacred; 1938: Made for Each Other, Fools for Scandal; 1939: Intermezzo, A Love Story; 1941: Charley's Aunt; 1946: Sister Kenny; 1947: Mourning Becomes Electra; 1948: Letters From An Unknown Woman; and 1950: Valentino.

Praising Banton's inspiration, imagination, and intensity, distinguished designers have acknowledged his influence. Edith Head, former Banton assistant at Paramount who went on to win a record number of Oscars, declared: "He was a god there...nobody [would|http://forums.tcm.com/] dare oppose him about anything, including the budgets...Travis was a marvelous designer. Any talent I might have would have lain undiscovered if he hadn't lighted the way for me. In my opinion, he was the greatest." In explaining his adaptations of two Banton dresses, Norman Norell observed that Banton "has been underrated and that his talent surpassed Adrian's, since Banton's costumes were timeless and established many famous images, as with the Mae West look." Two decades after the designer's death, Cecil Beaton praised the Angel creations and judged Banton "one of the most important of the golden years of Hollywood."

Though Banton has been lauded through the years for the originality, fine workmanship, and understated elegance of his costumes, scholars have neglected his genius as an image maker, both on and off screen, for celebrated women such as Marlene Dietrich. Banton's ability paralleled Adrian's acknowledged role as creator of the Greta Garbo and Joan Crawford (Lucille Fay Leseurqv) image. Banton helped invent the Dietrich look along with a unique apparel style that included male attire, like the tuxedo in Morocco (1930), the leather flight suit in Dishonored (1931), and the military uniform in The Scarlet Empress (1934). On her arrival in Hollywood, Dietrich's new svelte and chic silhouette was engineered by Banton. This contrasted with her pudgy appearance as star of The Blue Angel, a 1930 landmark film produced by UFA in Germany. Often credited, however, for the Dietrich look are director Josef von Sternberg and, to a lesser extent, Marlene Dietrich's lighting director, cinematographer, and stills and portrait photographer. This evaluation has relegated Banton to the pages of glossy coffee-table books. Yet Banton acted like a sculptor of cloth and flesh, influencing Dietrich's regimen of weight loss, massage, and exercise. In addition he advised her on demeanor, attitude, and body presentation. Banton's sketch pad and valued counsel likewise transformed Carole Lombard into a new persona of taste and class, reminiscent of Parisian haute couture, a world that he admired and emulated in private life. For the Mae West image, he produced a shapelier and more sexually explicit silhouette with a touch of parody that has been labeled high camp. Though he preferred sophisticated modern dress, his skill in interpreting historical periods inspired such trend-setting consumer adaptations as Claudette Colbert's garb in Cleopatra (1934).

Paramount rewarded these Banton products with salary, publicity, a private domain of artisan workrooms, and a luxury office. Convinced of the commercial value of screen fashion, Adolph Zukor, a former furrier, demanded costume excellence and reveled in the Banton fashion gems. The highly charged position, however, proved bittersweet and gradually took a toll on Banton's life. One studio crisis requiring Zukor's negotiation focused on Claudette Colbert, a longtime Banton admirer, and the costuming for Cleopatra. After rejecting two sets of costume sketches, she streaked Banton's third set of beautifully painted drawings with blood deliberately drawn from her finger to emphasize her displeasure. Another conflict involved a fitting with an ungrateful Nancy Carroll, who slowly ripped an exquisitely crafted garment from her body while Banton and his staff stared in dismay. Frustration and wounded pride escalated with each clash of taste with executives and actresses who were prone to costuming that Banton judged tacky, gaudy, and vulgar. During his tenure at Twentieth Century-Fox (from 1939 to 1941), where he worked for Howard Greer, a feud began with Alice Faye, who resented Banton's references to Dietrich's good taste; Faye later acknowledged the successful costuming for Lillian Russell (1939). From 1945 to 1948 Banton worked as head stylist for Universal Studios. His erratic behavior involving absenteeism and alcohol shortened his life; in this he was not unlike other talented colleagues with emotional and alcohol-related problems, such as Orry-Kelly, Howard Greer, and Irene, who committed suicide at age sixty-one. Banton once quipped that he should have left movies when Adrian did in 1942. He agreed with fellow film and couture colleague Howard Greer that life amid all that world-famous glamour, luxury, and notoriety was not what it seemed and that he missed the theater, opera, ballet, shops, and cuisine of New York and Paris. Late in life he recalled that in Hollywood he had "loathed those endless barbecue things, deadly-dull afternoons spent staring at people wallowing in swimming pools...[in a place where|http://forums.tcm.com/] even the French champagne went flat as soon as it was poured." He admitted, however, to a certain ambivalence, for he needed the studio earnings that supplied the art, antiques, and extravagant lifestyle compatible with his tastes.

Throughout his troubled times women who were grateful for their metamorphosis remained loyal. Carole Lombard requested Banton's designs for her costumes at other studios, including her David O. Selznick pictures. Marlene Dietrich performed in the signature white top hat and tails until the end of her career. Merle Oberon summarized the feelings of this loyal following when she insisted that Banton dress her as George Sand in the 1945 film A Song to Remember. She explained that Banton "knew what the character ought to look like but also understood what an actress was happiest wearing, which is very rare for a costume designer. I never found it necessary to make a single change on any of his drawings." Banton died on February 2, 1958, in Los Angeles. He was buried on February 4 at the Little Church of the Flowers in Glendale, California. An extensive collection of Banton's drawings is housed in the Brooklyn Museum.

For more information about anything from that wonderful place, Texas, yawl, go to :

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbacl

thumbnailCA808155.jpg

Lovely Lucille Ball...

untitled.jpg

In a Travis Banton design...

lover-come-back-1946-02-g-1.jpg

Zowee, Lucille! (Ball in another Banton with Brent)

Evidently, Lucille Ball was no stranger to fashion do's and don'ts. Her brush with Banton fame occured during the filming of *Lover Come Back*, (1946) with George Brent, Wallace Ford, Franklin Pangborn, and Vera Zorina, possibly retitled *When Lovers Meet* in reissue to avoid being confused with the more popular 1960's version with Doris Day and Rock Hudson.

Ball strode the fifties' fashion avenue like a colossus. Her clothing on the iconic *I Love Lucy* show set the trends for those little gals in Poughkeepsie, Ponca City, and Altoona.

simplelittlefrock.jpg

Hausfrau in a house frock...

slacks.jpg

Remember how she helped to popularize slacks?

dishes1.jpg

Even her dishes used on the popular series, Ivy by Franciscan, were some of the most popular china patterns in America. Ever seen these in Grandmother's Cupboard?

striped.jpg

She was always a stylish gal!

SueSue, those Lucille Ball pictures are great! Speaking of the china, which does indeed look familiar, a friend of our family had collected dishes through a cereal company's promotion, so she called her china Kellogg's by Box Top.

*SueSue, those Lucille Ball pictures are great!* --kingrat

Thank you so much, King! I added a few more, thanks to your hearty enthusiasm! Can't wait to see you in 2012!

thumbnailCAY5CIX4.jpg

An early bloom....

thumbnailCAG21EBU.jpg

Contemplation....

thumbnailCAQZJ041.jpg

Sensually stylish glam shot

thumbnailCAV81375.jpg

Smoky sensuality

whitegown.jpg

Another Travis Banton Fashion Statement...

Travis Banton designed costumes for Rosalind Russell in the Broadway version of *Auntie Mame* which had over nine hundred performances in the 1950s, prior to the development of the movie version.

rosalind-russell-and-cast-in-auntie-mame

Broadway Mame Game....

Mame.jpg

That lovely Chinese Hostest with the Mostest from Act I

James-Monks-Rosalind-Russell-1.png

Yikes! Mame caught red-handed with Mr. O'Banion...Is that dear Agnes Gooch (Peggy Cass)at the door?

You know it takes her practically no time at all to knock off a Dr.Peppuh....

1ijhcgylqdldchy1-1.jpg

The lovely Final Act Sari..."Vistas you've never dreamed existed...."

{font:Arial} {font}

Travis Banton not only worked on Rosalind Russell's costumes on Broadway, but he also helped decorate the iconic star in Sister Kenny(1946), Mourning Becomes Electra (1947), The Velvet Touch (1948) and a couple others. But I think that his designs for Russell's stage version of Mame are lovely...

mamebroad1955.jpg

And could that gal wear a hat like nobody else...

hatssix.jpg

I think I'll predict more hats on the runway to the Vanity Fair party this year....

hats3.jpg

hats6-1.jpg

From 1939's The Women...

hatsandeyes.jpg

Hats Off to Roz!

glamzilla.jpg

Ooops! How did this Glamzilla shot sneak in with my chapeau show?

Next Up:

That statement-shaking Kalloch design from His Girl Friday MV5BNTAzOTkzNTc3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDA3

Been meaning to tell you your Travis Banton shots and commentary are really nice. Rosalind Russell does look glam. What a striking woman she was ( love the "glamzilla" shot ). And Lucille Ball looks like a dream.

Nice job Sue Sue. Represent!!

Thanks for the kudos, Cinemaven.

Just couldn't resist more chapeau show, folks...

hats5.jpg

Listen, sister....

thumbnailCAYES1W5.jpg

A bit of fluff...

thumbnail1.jpg

Lionized..

t4.jpg

I don't think I can fit that clamshell in my purse...maybe it'll fit in my hat!

thumbnailCASYL7W4.jpg

Is that a loose snood with William Powell?

thumbnail-6.jpg

Hood ornament...

thumbnailCAGFAHGT.jpg

Cherries Jubilee...

thumbnailCACKS5JA.jpg

More Mame...Boxed Like Proust.

hatssix.jpg

Talk about Buttons and Bows....

hats3.jpg

The Sophisticate with gloves edged in eyelet lace, embroidery and sequins...

thumbnail2.jpg

This is the hall of famer.....One of my favorite Rosalind Russell hat pics...

thumbnailCAFNOGXU.jpg

And the all time attention-grabber.....

imagesCAVPS1VN.jpg

A stylish cowgirl...

cowgirl.jpg

bwrrandstan.jpg

Looks like Barbara is telling him what to do with his pistols…

poster-1.jpg

Poster for the film…

Just had a wonderful conversation with one of my colleagues after I had discovered he had been an extra on the set of *Cattle Queen of Montana* with Barbara Stanwyck and Ronald Reagan, so the highlights of this chat will be included in the next post, and I'll have to interrupt my fashion passion....

Sue Sue Applegate

Dearest Kyle! Thank you so much for the delightful Walter Plunkett drawing of Barbara Stanwyck as Annie Oakley!

You are a treasure. Can't wait to see you again at the stylish Hollywood Roosevelt this April for TCM Film Fest 2012...

My dear friend, Bill, who works with me at a local community college, is quite the raconteur. He counts among his many brushes with greatness such luminaries as Jacqueline Kennedy, Garrison Keillor, and many Baseball Hall of Famers. But I managed to wheedle and whirl such a travelogue of Hollywood lore from his vast internal landscape that some of it cannot be recounted due to the licentiousness of its nature....

But during the summer of 1954, young Bill, who was sixteen going on seventeen ( and don't cue Rodgers & Hammerstein yet, please), found himself lured to Glacier National Park in Montana by Minnesota friend and entrepreneur Hugh Black to work at St. Mary Lodge and Resort, built by Black and his burgeoning consortium around 1937 just outside the entrance to Glacier National Park shortly after Black discovered he was not being employed by the National Park Service any longer.

SML_Exterior.jpg

The original section of the lodge before remodeling is the whole block to the right of the center supports in the pictured structure of the current St. Mary Lodge, in St. Mary, Montana.

As Bill shortly discovered during that summer, a film company from Hollywood (RKO) had just arrived to begin work on *Cattle Queen of Montana*. Barbara Stanwyck and Ronald Reagan were the stars of the film, and they were housed in St. Mary's Lodge, the building which also included the restaurant for most the film's principals and the director, Allan Dwan, immortalized in Peter Bogdanovich's *Who The Devil Made It*, and responsible for bringing such classics to the screen as *Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm* (1938), *The Three Musketeers* (1939), *Sands of Iwo Jima* (1949), and *Robin Hood* with Douglas Fairbanks (1922).

Extras, crew, and other actors, like Jack Elam, were housed in several motel units, and would venture forth for meals to the restaurant located in the main lodge. During that summer, Bill had several responsibilities and did all kinds of jobs all over the property, and fondly remembers trips on the old "gear-strippers" as the young staff members called them.

Red_GTTSR_East2.jpg

According to the Glacier Park, Inc. Website, "the White Motor Company between 1936 and 1939 built Glacier’s red-with-black trim vehicles. This fleet of Red Buses is considered the oldest intact fleet of passenger carrying vehicles anywhere. These 17 passenger convertible touring sedans are more than a mere means of transportation for locals and visitors - they are cherished, elegant icons of Glacier National Park."

Red_GTTSR_Triple20Arches.jpg

Bill also fondly remembers Ronald Reagan, and how he was always " out and about," because if Reagan wasn't riding a horse all around the beautiful property or in the park, he would walk and take in the scenery, always chatting gregariously with the crew and resort staff, and loved to be out of doors. Bill broke into a wide grin when he remembered Ronald Reagan. "He didn't like to be riding around in the company cars because he would rather be riding the range on a horse or going for a hike, and he was very comfortable in the saddle, unlike some of the other film actors who frequented the resort," Bill stated.

thumbnailCA6FDFJH.jpg

More later in Part II of "My Friend, Bill."

Here's a link to the video about the red bus tours:

Here's a link to information about St. Mary Lodge and Resort:

http://www.glacierparkinc.com/tour_detail.php?id=1

We interrupt our regularly scheduled program to announce....

an UPDATE!

*Liza Minnelli, Joel Grey, Debbie Reynolds, Femmes Fatale And Silent Era Child Star "Baby Peggy" Join TCM Classic Film Festival Line Up*

thumbnailCATIVG1S.jpg

Liza Minnelli, Joel Grey, Debbie Reynolds and "Baby Peggy" Diana Serra Cary, along with film noir leading ladies Peggy Cummins, Rhonda Fleming and Marsha Hunt are the latest stars scheduled to appear at the 2012 TCM Classic Film Festival.

In addition, the festival's celebration of Style in the Movies will include an extensive tribute to Audrey Hepburn including screenings of Sabrina (1954), Funny Face (1957) and the world premiere of a new 45th anniversary restoration of Two for the Road (1967).

The following is a roster of newly added screenings and/or appearances:

Opening Night Gala

CABARET (1972) – World premiere 40th anniversary restoration, with Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey* in attendance

One of the most acclaimed films of its era, Bob Fosse's CABARET stars Oscar-winner Liza Minnelli as an American singer looking for love and success in pre-World War II Berlin. Joel Grey, who is currently co-starring in the Broadway revival of Anything Goes, earned an Oscar as the ubiquitous Master of Ceremonies.

Style in the Movies – The Noir Style

Presented by Eddie Muller, founder of the Film Noir Foundation, this collection explores the unique style of film noir, known for its often-shadowy black-and-white photography and stylistic set design.

(Check out the website: http://filmnoirfoundation.org/)

marshahuntgloves.jpg

RAW DEAL (1948) – In attendance: Marsha Hunt

thumbnailCARK3K8T.jpg

GUN CRAZY (1950) – In attendance: Peggy Cummins

CRY DANGER (1951) – New restoration, in attendance: Rhonda Fleming

thumbnailCAEV3AQ6.jpg

Audrey Hepburn: Style Icon

The TCM Classic Film Festival pays tribute to one of the most beautiful and stylish actresses ever to grace the screen with this collection of films showcasing Audrey Hepburn.

SABRINA (1954)

FUNNY FACE (1957)

TWO FOR THE ROAD (1967) – World premiere of new restoration funded by The Film Foundation

Additional Events & Screenings

THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1924) – Featuring live accompaniment by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra

GRAND ILLUSION (1937) – North American premiere of 75th anniversary restoration

imagesCAR7IT94.jpg

SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN (1952) – World premiere of 60th anniversary restoration, featuring an appearance by Debbie Reynolds

HOW THE WEST WAS WON (1962) – Presented in Cinerama and featuring an appearance by Debbie Reynolds – Event sponsored by Arclight Cinemas and presented at the Cinerama Dome.

BABY PEGGY: THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM (2010) – U.S. premiere; in attendance: "Baby Peggy" Diana Serra Cary and filmmaker Vera Iwerebor

Follow this link for more information on the FUN we are going to have at 2012 this year:

http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/TCM/Files/Dynamic/i157/tcmcff2012_minnelliannouncement_013120120201.pdf

Love Rhonda Fleming? Then you will enjoy her website, so go there if you've never been there before: http://www.rhondafleming.com/