Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SueSueApplegate

SUE SUE'S TCM FESTIVAL TRAVEL BLOG...

Oh, that's the Doug Sirk one with Dottie and Don. I haven't ever seen it. And Janis Carter, didn't she move back to New York?

Well, I certainly enjoyed meeting you! What fun in the LA sun we had. I was remembering that great screening of *Spartacus* with Kirk Douglas just this a.m. (big Jean Simmons fan here) and our lovely lunch al fresco...ah....those fab TCM FILM FEST memories!

Making that TCM Fan Perspective was such fun! I know those fellows had their hands full with me on the set...the biggest canned ham they probably ever filmed on the HRH rooftop set!

Yours was also one of my faves. I loved how they edited you around scenes from *Out of the Past,* another one of my guilty pleasures.

images-1.jpg

I have to vote Marge Champion the Official Energizer Bunny of the 2011 Turner Classic Movies Film Festival. She was everywhere. I first noticed her in the elevator, and she was so adorable! She had on her slacks and her little running shoes, and her posture was simply regal. At 91, and I know it is impolite to mention a ladies' age, but she should be properly proud, as her energy level astonished me. Ms. Champion was here, there, and everywhere, and attended several screenings of other activities and film venues where she was not slated to appear. And her fans are grateful. And she is adorable!

After we shared the elevator, she also hopped on over to the Robert Osborne interview with the legendary Peter O'Toole at the Music Box Theater where I thought I heard Ms. Champion say that she had been in a movie with him. Maybe it was *The Party*? May be that she said she just wanted to be in a movie with him. Who wouldn't? I am not sure. But she sat in the audience with the rest of us just like regular passholders, and everyone enjoyed that interview because it was the legendary Peter O'Toole.

227270_10150228527180396_57964955395_871

I was seated in the last chair on the right hand side of the photo, before the second tier. Ms. Champion was, I believe in the second row, near the front of the stage in the center. Of course, everyone who knew who she was perked up immediately.

She introduced *That's Entertainment* on Sunday morning:

226489_10150231472470396_57964955395_875

According to the blurb on the schedule, the Sunday afternoon TCM Panel entitled "Dancing in the Movies" would involve special guests who would discuss : "Movie dance performances" that " have spellbound audiences for decades; join our esteemed panel as they review the history of dancing in film, its impact on moviemaking and audiences, and what its like to choreograph for—and dance in—the movies."

So more on that next time!

The excerpt in the schedule for Sunday's panel included the following information about the panelists:

2:30pm - 3:30pm

DANCING IN THE MOVIES--Dancing has kept film audiences spellbound for decades. This esteemed panel of dance greats will review the history of dance in film and its impact on moviemaking and audiences, as well as what its like to choreograph for - and dance in - the movies.

Moderator:

Larry Billman, dancer, author, historian and co-founder of The Academy of Dance on Film, is the author of Film Choreographers and Dance Directors. Published in 1997, the book was the first encyclopedia on the subject. Here's a link to an article about Larry Billman: http://www.mouseclubhouse.com/Interview ... inment.htm|http://www.mouseclubhouse.com/Interviews/larry-billman/larry-billman-early-years&live-entertainment.htm

Panelists:

Debbie Allen is an Emmy-winning choreographer, actress, stage and screen director and producer. She has choreographed for artists such as Michael Jackson and Mariah Carey. She was also responsible for choreographing the Academy Awards 10 times.

Marge Champion is a dancer and choreographer who began her career as a live-action model for Snow White (1938), the Blue Fairy in Pinocchio (1940) and the hippopotamus ballerina in FANTASIA (1940). She and her husband, Gower Champion, were legendary for their appearances in many musicals produced in the 1950s at MGM. She last appeared on Broadway in the 2001 revival of Follies.

Vincent Paterson is a director, choreographer and dancer whose wide ranging career includes theater, concert tours, opera, music videos, Broadway and films, including Evita (1996) and Dancer in the Dark (2000); he also wrote, directed and co-choreographed the Cirque du Soleil show VIVA ELVIS!. Here's a link: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0665535/

Club TCM was packed, all center seats were filled, and I was sitting alternately on the floor and on top of one of the squishy chairs as passholders jostled around for comfortable perches.

I also met a passholder who claimed he was from Houston, but he really couldn’t explain to me where in Houston he lived. When Larry Billman revealed that the panel would answer questions from the audience, this same passholder stood up to speak to Debbie Allen. He commented that he had enjoyed the television program “A Different World” and then Ms. Allen began to respond even though the passholder in question had not completed his query. She didn't discuss "A Different World" and she didn't discuss her experiences on "Fame."

For the next 12-14 minutes, Ms. Allen bulldozed the panel topics and spent her time in the spotlight discussing how AIDS had devastated her dance companies, and then spent about 5-7 minutes complaining that there is no dancer’s union, and that dancers should be able to have a union like actors, and one passholder in the audience commented that he was just waiting for her to hold up her “Norma Rae” sign.

Here's a link in case you are ready to join her team: http://www.debbieallendanceacademy.com/

As an audience member, I noticed perplexed looks on the faces of many passholders, and some began to ponder what the diatribe was all about. I could also see that Vincent Paterson, who was seated next to Ms. Allen, was leaning as far away from Ms. Allen as was humanly possible without scooting his chair off the stage. The hidden diva had been unveiled.

And I agreed with some of the union statements and sympathies she expressed, but wrong time, wrong place, Debs. Some audience reactions included horror, confusion, and regret. Some folks pulled out their schedules and read about the panel again. “I could’ve gone to see a “A Place in the Sun” or a “Tribute to the Nicholas Brothers,” commented one female passholder. I just wish Ms. Allen had spent time time actually discussing the panel topic, dancing in the movies.

But I stood up, stated my first name, and that I was also from Houston. Ms. Allen was then poised to continue with her litany of personal causes, but I had explained that I really wanted to ask Marge Champion a question about her experiences on *Showboat*.

And I finally found out one of Ms. Champion's favorite stories about dancing in that landmark film. She described the grueling hours spent practicing and performing a number with her former husband and choreographer, Gower Champion, and after the last, grueling take, discovered the ribbon on her head had completely turned around and probably damaged the take. But she convinced everyone that it would never be noticed on the film. I really can't see it when I watch *Showboat*. Maybe if I stop almost every frame. But I couldn't tell. It was wonderful to hear her tell that story because she spoke with such an engaging attitude about her experiences, and she has such a sweet voice. She was also very accommodating to passholders she encountered during the course of the festival, and signed autographs and posed for photos. And I certainly didn't do justice to Ms. Champion's version of her experiences. Here's a link to her "That's Entertainment" intro with Leonard Maltin: http://www.tcm.com/festival2011/#/events/videoI|http://www.tcm.com/festival2011/#/events/video

I am still pondering that Marge Champion made a guest appearance on an episode of Fame as a character named Ann Carlton in 1982. But that point was never discussed in the panel introductions or responses. It seemed odd that no comment from the accomplished Allen made any recognition of the fact that the two actresses and dancers had ever crossed paths...

Hey 'SueSue' -

I just know you are excited the TCM Classic FIlm Festival is highlighting "Style" in 2012. I am betting you will planning to be even more stylish next year than you have been at Festivals past. (And you were damn stylish both years.)

But just in case you need some inspiration or are looking to pick up a few things for 2012, there's this auction coming up you may have heard about.

The sale features some interesting trinkets,,,

ETaylor03

Bulgari Sapphire and Diamond Sautoir

frocks and schmattas...

ETaylor02

Valentino Ball Gown

ETaylor04

Irene Sharraf caftan

and even some bags to get it to Hollywood!

ETaylor01

Louis Vuitton Suitcases and Beauty Bags

You can indulge some more of your stylish fantasies here -

http://www.christies.com/elizabethtaylor/the_sales.aspx

and here -

http://www.christies.com/elizabethtaylor/the_sales_highlights.aspx

(It's too bad more of the Collection isn't online.)

Have fun!

I know you'll be the most stylish woman in Hollywood next April.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thank you so much for the compliments and a very informative, and stylish post! The links were absolutely to D--I--E for, and I was just indulging in the lovely video compiled for our joint perusual.

Have you been to check it out yet, you savvy stylicon?

http://www.christies.com/elizabethtaylor/special_features.aspx

I could certainly find a soiree to swing to with this little shiner:

Image972011165926.jpg

The Elizabeth Taylor Diamond, of 33.19 carats D Color, Potentially Internally Flawless Gift from Richard Burton, May 16, 1968 Estimate: $2,500,000-3,500,000

But my fave is LA PEREGRINA:

Image972011165951.jpg

(La Peregrina – The Legendary Pearl 16th Century Pearl Ruby and Diamond Necklace designed by Elizabeth Taylor, with Al Durante of Cartier Gift from Richard Burton, January 23, 1969 Estimate: $2,000,000 – 3,000,000)

Image9202011115240.jpg

Irene Sharaff A Sunflower Yellow Silk Chiffon Wedding Dress, 1964 Worn to Ms. Taylor’s first wedding to Richard Burton Estimate: $40,000-60,000

THIS LITTLE NUMBER IS JUST NOT FOR ME. Yellow makes me confused! :)

(Plus weddings are scary!)

*"I was just indulging in the lovely video compiled for our joint perusual. Have you been to check it out yet, you savvy stylicon?"* - SueSue

No. I haven't looked at the video yet.

The "Exhibition" is in LA this weekend. But the entrance fee isn't part of my budget these days. ($30)

Glad you enjoyed the online look around.

Kyle In Hollywood

This is a stylish photo of Debbie Reynolds that I enjoy. Following the photo of her is information that describes how her collection evolved. Follow the catalogue link for more insight into the vastness of the items that the collection encompasses.

debbie-reynolds2-1.jpg

W hen I was seventeen, I won a beauty contest, was discovered

by a studio talent scout and transported into the wonderful world of

show business. I grew up on the MGM lot where they boasted that

they had “more stars than there are in heaven.”

I was fortunate enough to start my career around the biggest movie

stars. Can you imagine walking to work every day and seeing Fred

Astaire dance past you as you approached your sound stage? I lived

in a world that for most people was a dream.

My love for collecting began early in my MGM career. I used to spend my spare time in the

wardrobe department, watching the most talented people create costumes for the actors. I

was fascinated by how they were able to translate a simple suggestion in a script, sometimes

even a piece of dialogue, into a magnificent costume. I loved everything that went into the

process – the sketches, the fabrics, the construction.

Those were the days when the greatest designers worked at MGM – Walter Plunkett, who

did our costumes for *Singin’ in the Rain*. The designer who probably had the most influence

on me was Helen Rose. Helen worked on many of my films and even designed my wedding

dress. For all three weddings!

My passion for collecting began in earnest when the studios broke up their inventories. In

1970 MGM announced it was going to auction off everything except their real estate. I

was still under contract at MGM and knew this inventory well. These were the clothes that

the studio wouldn’t even lend us to wear to events or parties. Prior to this auction, I was

a “normal” collector. After the auction, preserving as many of these costumes as possible

became my obsession. After MGM’s auction, the other studios followed suit. I was very fortunate that I knew the president of Fox Studios, who allowed me to purchase many items

prior to their auction. Over the years, I continued to save as many pieces as I could as the

studios threatened their very existence.

I cherish every piece I’ve collected. I couldn’t bear to see them be lost or forgotten. Each

costume embodies the aura of the star who wore it onscreen. Who can think of *The Wizard of Oz* without seeing Dorothy’s ruby slippers? Or The Seven Year Itch without Marilyn Monroe’s subway dress? I can’t. And I bought twelve of Marilyn’s costumes. All these items are as famous as the stars that wore them. There is magic in every thread, button and bow. Many of these wonderful articles capture that special moment in a film where our hearts were deeply touched. For me, the memory of this moment lives forever in each of these pieces.

Last night Lliza Minelli visited The Late Late Show with wacky, adorable Craig Ferguson, and she discussed her visit to the 9th Vladovostok Film Festival with her good friend, Rock Brynner. Liza was pitching her latest album, "Confessions," and sang a short rendition to Craig as he sat right next to her on the Late Late Show plush chairs.

CCCa_Photo_Op-330-exp.jpg

Liza Minelli, Yul Brynner, and Lisa Arzamasova arriving at the 9th Annual Vladovostok Film Festival

untitled-5.png

Liza Minelli and Rock Brynner meeting the media in Vladovostok in September.

To read more about what Rock has been up to, check out his website: http://www.rockbrynner.com/

And don't forget about the Liza Collection: http://www.hsn.com/320-x-240-video-player_at-4953_xa.aspx?c=1&videoid=10547026

She was wearing a lovely Oriental-cut velvet pantsuit and seemed happy to chat and dish on Craig's show last night. To see the episode, follow this link:

http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_late_show/video/?pid=52mSXfnbVg2m96ch1OcCC_Fw1bZ7XGFP&vs=Default&play=true

OOooh, yeah. TCM Fest 2012 is all about style. I will definitely be there with my personal group of handmaidens:

Mr. Maybelline, Lady Almay, Senor Revlon, and Miss Neutrogena!

This may be the time in recorded history in which the word "wacky" was used in a sentence with Liza Minnelli and it was describing someone else :):)

hatshearermariea.jpg

As Norma Shearer might say, "It's all about style!" And that is the theme for TCM Film Fest 2012.

250px-Cukorwomen4.jpg

The simple line of some of Adrian's creations for 1939's *The Women* are not far from the current red-carpet mark...

possibleAdrian.jpg

Simple sheaths in silken strands for Shearer show subtle hints of Adrian flair...

tcmnorma.jpg

Not many could work the spotlight like Norma...

fallfashion-1.jpg

Current red-carpet styles are not that far removed from stylicons of the studio days. Simple, but elegant. Even the 2010 Minimalists hearken back to those halcyon days of sleek designer paradise, the studio system...

seriousedith.jpg

Edith Head looking a little too serious for some of the frivolous ensembles she actually designed....

Ball_Of_Fire_Barbara_Stanwyck.jpg

Like this one for Barbara Stanwyck in *Ball of Fire*.

EdithandGrace.jpg

Edith and Grace Kelly checking out a few sketches...

greenrearwindowsuitandsignaturehandbag.j

Remember this little number from *Rear Window* ?

gracethiefoutfitandsketch.jpg

And this stunning fun-in-the-sun number from *To Catch A Thief* ?

More stylish sketches from the colourful Edith Head:

3607341175_4b34fa3b70.jpg

This is one of Edith's all-time favorites--Grace Kelly's dress for the costume ball sequence in *To Catch a Thief* ...

thumbnailCAF6VT9V.jpg

More Grace from *Rear Window* ...

tumblr_lo5k0u80p01qma4ejo1_500.jpg

Elizabeth Taylor's stunning floral-bodiced off-the-shoulder sweeper...

874473626_b7a34c01e6_z.jpg

Joan Crawford's rags-to-riches simple stay-at-home smock on steroids...

romanholiday.jpg

Audrey Hepburn's *Roman Holiday* regality...

Walter Plunkett might be just the right designer for a Halloween theme...

5467731_1_l.jpg

Mae West, then again she may not...

18869_0396_1_lg-1.jpg

Or a Young Queen Bess!

plunkett-esme_aspx_.jpg

Or a flame-haired Queen of Technicolor as a gypsy temptress...

thumbnail.jpg

Or a Vivien Vixen!

Conception with Ava...

thumbnailCADZC744.jpg

Reality...

thumbnailCAKK30NO.jpg

Conception with Vivien...

honeymoondressphoto.jpg

Preservation...

honeymoondress.jpg

Reality...

honeyphoto.jpg

Conception....

sketch.jpg

Preservation...

realdress.jpg

Reality...

greengownandscarlett.jpg

Parody... :)

cab.jpg

@SueSueApplegate Now that Halloween's come & gone, did you dress up in anything like the fine creations you've been posting? If not which one would you have chosen for yourself?

Keep 'em coming, they're very lovely to look at :)

The delightful Helen Rose sketch for Grace Kelly's wedding dress..
Grace-Kelly-esquema.jpg

The civil ceremony took place on April 18, 1956, and the Catholic ceremony followed on April 19. Helen Rose had dressed Grace for her role in The Swan, also starring Alec Guinness and Louis Jourdan. Some of Rose's other iconic films included The Opposite Sex , Designing Woman, Butterfield 8, Dangerous When Wet, Latin Lovers, and Dream Wife.

By the balcony somewhere in Monaco...

balcony.jpg

Life seemed a veiled mystery about to unfold...

veil.jpg

The actual wedding photo of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier...

weddingphoto.jpg

A formal pose...

thumbnail-2.jpg

Can't get enough of that dress! Here are the lovely maidens surrounding the former Grace Kelly...

partyphotowmaidens.jpg

sas-le-prince-albert-ii-et-la-princesse-

On November 2, 2011, T.S.H.s Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene of Monaco attended the opening of the highly anticipated exhibition, Grace Kelly: From Movie Star to Princess, at the TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks Cinemave, and VDOVault for your kind words earlier in the column.

"Just make them beautiful" was Louis B. Mayer's request when Helen Rose was emloyed at MGM.

And she did. Starting at the age of 15, Helen Rose designed night club and stage costumes (some of them for vaudeville), and made some of the most popular wedding dresses of the 20th century for Elizabeth Taylor, Debbie Reynolds, Jane Powell, and Grace Kelly. Rose, one of my favorite designers, also continues to inspire current fashionistas, if you consider the spouse of the future King of England a fashionista. (And I do!)

kateandgrace.jpg

For Grace Kelly's formal wedding gown, Rose used twenty-five yards of silk taffeta and one hundred yards of silk net. The 125-year-old rose point lace was purchased from a museum and thousands of tiny pearls were hand-sewn on the veil by a small army of wardrobe assistants.

*Kate Middleton's Bridal Ensemble*

*The design..*

The lace appliqué for the bodice and skirt was hand-made by the Royal School of Needlework, based at Hampton Court Palace. The lace design was hand-engineered (appliquéd) using the Carrickmacross lace-making technique, which originated in Ireland in the 1820s. Individual flowers have been hand-cut from lace and hand-engineered onto ivory silk tulle to create a unique and organic design, which incorporates the rose, thistle, daffodil and shamrock.

Hand-cut English lace and French Chantilly lace has been used throughout the bodice and skirt, and has been used for the underskirt trim. With laces coming from different sources, much care was taken to ensure that each flower was the same colour. The whole process was overseen and put together by hand by Ms Burton and her team.

The dress is made with ivory and white satin gazar. The skirt echoes an opening flower, with white satin gazar arches and pleats. The train measures two metres 70 centimetres. The ivory satin bodice, which is narrowed at the waist and padded at the hips, draws on the Victorian tradition of corsetry and is a hallmark of Alexander McQueen's designs. The back is finished with 58 gazar and organza covered buttons fastened by Rouleau loops. The underskirt is made of silk tulle trimmed with Cluny lace.

*The Fabrics...*

French Chantilly lace was combined with English Cluny lace to be hand-worked in the Irish Carrickmacross needlework tradition.

All other fabrics used in the creation of the dress were sourced from and supplied by British companies. The choice of fabrics followed extensive research by Sarah Burton and her team.

*The Royal School of Needlework...*

The Royal School of Needlework (RSN), based at Hampton Court Palace, assisted the Alexander McQueen team in accurately cutting out the delicate motifs from the lace fabrics and positioning the lace motifs with precision into the new design. The lace motifs were pinned, 'framed up' and applied with stab stitching every two to three millimetres around each lace motif. The workers washed their hands every thirty minutes to keep the lace and threads pristine, and the needles were renewed every three hours, to keep them sharp and clean.

The RSN workers included existing staff, former staff, tutors, graduates and students, with the youngest aged 19.

The RSN's work was used primarily for the train and skirt of the Bride's dress, the bodice and sleeves, the Bride's shoes and the Bride's veil.

*Veil...*

The veil is made of layers of soft, ivory silk tulle with a trim of hand-embroidered flowers, which was embroidered by the Royal School of Needlework. The veil is held in place by a Cartier 'halo' tiara, lent to Miss Middleton by The Queen. The 'halo' tiara was made by Cartier in 1936 and was purchased by The Duke of York (later King George VI) for his Duchess (later Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother) three weeks before he succeeded his brother as King. The tiara was presented to Princess Elizabeth (now The Queen) by her mother on the occasion of her 18th birthday.

For more information, visit:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/29/sarah-burton-kate-middleton-wedding-dress_n_855299.html

Edited by: SueSueApplegate on Nov 28, 2011 5:46 PM

Angela Lansbury looked her loveliest in these Helen Rose creations for *The Harvey Girls.*

tumblr_l8pym1Codg1qazanuo1_500.jpg

( ^ I think this was a publicity photo.)

angela.jpg

Angela-ooh-la-la...

thumbnail-3.jpg

No, Cinemavester! I cannot believe that it is Mrs. Iselin, or Jessica Fletcher, or Nancy in *Gaslight*, or Edwina Brown in *National Velvet.* Angela Lansbury is a treasure!

And I think that some of her most beautiful moments, even though her character of Em in *Harvey Girls* was a stinker up until the last reel, are in that film. She was absolutely gorgeous, and none of those images I posted here equal the beauty of her persona in the film. She just glows!

She was Princess Gwendolyn in *The Court Jester,* and here's a commissary confidential in a regal Edith Head design.

260px-Burger-Lansbury.jpg

Here Angela dines on hamburger and french fries, and still retains at least a minimum of regality,