Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I always describe Thelma as "Ruth Gordon lite". She is pretty much universally loved by everyone who sees her, me included. I especially loved her in the oddly titled The Mating Season.

I doubt very much there was any relation between Tex & Thelma. Tex was a westerner and Thelma was definitly a NYC gal.

I do not believe she is related to Tex because I clearly read in an article before that she was not related to the physical comedy genius John Ritter (Tex's son).

And only a day? I'd vote Thelma Ritter for Star of the Month. It would mean many premieres - she was in quite a few supporting roles for Fox. She also was the comedic relief in otherwise not so good movies. I was just watching her as Susan Hayward's nurse in *With A Song in My Heart* yesterday (Susan also needs a month!).

Didn't Thelma Ritter win or at least get nominated for best supporting Actress for her work in

Pick Up on South Street ? She was unforgettable in that,perfect in the role of the good-hearted rag lady, who sidelines as a dealer in information for anyone who will pay. That last scene she's in is so moving, refusing to yield to "the commies" while that wistful song "Mamselle" plays on a scratchy gramophone in the background.

Yes, Thelma was nominated for Pick Up. She didnt win. She never won. I think she was nominated 5 or 6 times (too lazy to look it up) Always the bridesmaid. SAD.

You're right. It is six nominations. And she never won! Amazing! In fact, she still holds the record for the greatest number of Oscar nominations ever for supporting actress! So good in everything she did.

Terrence.

Thelma Ritter received 6 nominations for Best Supporting Actress:

All About Eve (1950)

The Mating Season (1951)

With a Song in My Heart (1952)

Pickup on South Street (1953)

Pillow Talk (1959)

Birdman of Alcatraz (1962)

I especially like Thelma Ritter in A Letter to Three Wives (1949), Rear Window (1954) and The Misfits (1961).

Like other great character actors, Thelma Ritter added something special to the movies she was in. Her interaction with the stars of a movie never clashed and instead allowed the star and or plot of the movie to shine even more. She was like the Magic Johnson of movies; leading in assist!

Thank you for this thread. I second the motion. She was brilliant in every thing she did.

In addition to the movies mentioned I want to add How the West Was Won and Move Over, Darling. In short, your money was never wasted if she was in the picture. What an inspiration to those folks with talent but not what our society considers outer beauty. Hers was inside and shone through like Mary Wickes, Kathleen Freeman, and Hope Emerson. What would the "Stars" have done without their support? I think most of them knew the answer to that.

finance wrote:

*The closest she came to a starring rather than a supporting role was in, I believe, THE MODEL AND THE MARRIAGE BROKER.*

Actually, she was one of the stars of As Young As You Feel, and was a de-facto star of The Mating Season. For awhile 20th considered featuring her and Clifton Webb together; Monty Wooley's part in As Young As You Feel had been meant for Webb. And she was meant to be in Elopement, the part played by Eveyn Varden. They would have definitely costarred in 1952 in The Late Christopher Bean (she did it on TV some years later, on the 20th Century-Fox Hour of Stars-or whatever it was called-if I remember correctly).

I especially love the top picture, with the pearls. She could totally do glam, when she was given the opportunity. In "A New Kind of Love" she was part of the world of high fashion and fit in really well. In "For Love Or Money" she was a rich San Francisco socialite and mother to Mitzi Gaynor, Julie Newmar and Leslie Parrish and, again, she was more than able to pull it off. What a gem.