Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1. Did he ever meet Cary Grant?

2. Any famous actors ever pose as him?

3. What songs was he mentioned in? ( I know Rolling Stones' "Star, Star", R.E.M.'s "Electrolite" and Sheryl Crow's "Steve McQueen")

4. Did he ever meet Robert De Niro?

5. What stars today idolize him? I know Brad Pitt.

6. I have an Elvis Presley Beanie Baby. Is there a Steve McQueen one?

7. What is isi daughter Terri's child's name?

*Is "Lightning McQueen" from Cars actually Steve?*

The character of Lightning was named after McQueen, who was a big car and racing buff much like Paul Newman was.

According to what I know about the ?Lighting McQueen? character of the 2006 animated Pixar film, ?Cars,? the animated character was named after Pixar animator Glenn McQueen, who passed away in 2002 of skin cancer. It has been simply assumed that the Pixar character was influenced by Steve McQueen, due to the actor?s love of racing in general and because of Paul Newman haivng a major role in the Pixar film; both he and McQueen were in real life, rivals of sorts. How this assumption came about is one of the recent movie mysteries. It?s now believed that a publicist or someone at the Pixar studios created the myth of Steve McQueen?s association to ?Lighting McQueen.?

MovieProfessor,

That's interesting. I've got a friend at Pixar who told me that some of the animators who worked on the movie were big Steve McQueen fans and incorporated some of him into Lightning's character.

Perhaps it is a bit of both?

> lzcutter wrote

>

> That's interesting. I've got a friend at Pixar who told me that some of the animators who worked on the movie were big Steve McQueen fans and incorporated some of him into Lightning's character.

>

> Perhaps it is a bit of both?

I think you're probably right! Because after the film's release, there was so much talk associated to the Steve McQueen issue that Pixar Studios did nothing to stop or correct what was being said. So, I've always been suspicious that the studio itself was behind this assumption.

>johnm_001 wrote:

> McQueen and Grant did dropped acid, together.

That was a rumor . . . But then, there's always been a lot of water under Hollywood's bridge running wild and sometimes out of control. This all reminds of of the tales of Errol Flynn and all of his supposed wild and crazy antics. I guess this is how myths get started.

COMING IN 2010:

_Steve McQueen: Portrait of an American Rebel_

Publisher: Plexus Publishing (October 1, 2010)

*_From Publishers Weekly_*

McQueen (1930-1980) was born in Indiana and grew up fatherless with an alcoholic mother. After stints in a reform school and the Marine Corp., he landed in New York City where he caught the acting bug. He soon won an acting scholarship and in 1956 got his break in the film Somebody Up There Likes Me . That same year he met and married dancer Neile Adams. The TV series, Wanted: Dead or Alive , brought him to the attention of director John Sturges who cast him in The Magnificent Seven . Three years later The Great Escape made him a star. The strength of this book lies in the history the author has compiled on McQueen's 28 films--their genesis, their filming and how the critics and the paying public responded. Terrill also delves into the offscreen side of McQueen: his passion for motorcyles, fast cars and bedding his female co-stars.

The author goes on to chronicle McQueen's frequent, admitted use of LSD, marijuana and cocaine; his revulsion of homosexuals; his divorce and his subsequent marriages to actress Ali McGraw and model Barbara Minty; and, finally, his battle against lung cancer. Terrill, a dealer of Beatles' memorabilia, makes a solid impression with his first book. Photos.

41Bhi0TqmkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

*My favorite book on _Steve McQueen_ !* *Just photos .. but great pictures!!*

51FW%2BgMeDmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Steve McQueen (1930-1980) and William Claxton became friends early in McQueen's career and remained close until his premature death. Claxton frequented McQueen throughout his many incarnations (daredevil, dirt biker, movie star, sports car driver, ladies man, family man, etc.), capturing at every turn another side of McQueen's enigmatic tough-guy/nice-guy personality. As this photo album demonstrates, Claxton's photographic talent and sensibilities were perfectly attuned to the actor's multifaceted character. This is the real Steve McQueen, immortalized by Claxton's empathetic lens.

McQueen?s career is certainly one of the most bizarre or one that happened rather quick and as unexpected to Steve as it was to many in the entertainment world. Upon arriving in New York during the mid-1950s, he was like so many young performing hopefuls, inspired by Marlon Brando. By the time James Dean set into motion a new imagery to follow, Steve was auditioning everywhere he could find what he hoped to be a decent gig. What is so ironic about his early career was his having come so close to winning the prized role in the dramatic Bio film, ?Somebody Up There Likes Me.? Of course, most of us know the role was in the end handed over to Paul Newman. This was an event that Steve would never forget and his obsession with the success of Newman overshadowed his future to come. There was no recourse for Steve but to stay in New York and then settled for what available work there was in television. Without his early popularity on television, Steve might have not had any chance at landing a worthwhile role in the movies. There is no doubt and it?s often forgotten that Steve was one of the very first actors of his generation to score big on television and then move over to motion pictures.

I?ve always believed the success of Steve rested solely on his rough and tough imagery that for the early part of his career made him stand-out and so different from other actors of his time. He wasn?t really so good looking or dashing. He had an appeal that for the most part made him so identifiable with the male audiences, while women found him oddly intriguing or like the guy next door, who spent a lot of time hanging with the home-boys and speeding around the neighborhood or then lodged into something mechanical to fix around the house. There was simplicity to Steve that was so undeniable to the point that while he wasn?t as polished as an actor at first, he gave a natural sense of presence that created this appealing aura around him. He was simply ?cool? to watch and had a style of sensitivity to somehow make one feel comfortable or that in the end you could just trust him. An air of confidence is part of the reason why some actors make it, while others just fade away. It might be connected to having luck in the balance to anyone?s career in movies, but with Steve he learned how to use his luck to his advantage that would make him one of the towering figures of motion pictures.

As to why Steve sank into a web of personal despair is what I believe to be so typical of being haunted by one?s past. It?s that part of one?s young life that remains fixed within the psyche and can never be let go of or difficult to try and understand. The demons that he carried throughout his life somehow couldn?t be quelled by all the success he garnered. There are after all these years, such fascinating similarities between Steve?s past and that of another ill-fated actor of the 20th Century, James Dean. Both actors came from broken homes, both had a series of broken relationships with women, both found success in television first and both were reckless to the point of living life in the ?fast-lane.? One can only wonder what if Jimmy Dean had lived and not died in the car crash that took his life, the fate of Steve and Paul Newman would have been very different! Certainly, Paul Newman?s career was channeled to success, after Dean?s death, due to Paul winning the role in ?Somebody Up There Likes Me? that had originally been planned for Dean. The director of the film, Robert Wise was very much in Steve?s corner to win the role, until Paul showed up at the make-shift studio in New York where the auditions were being held. Steve ending up with the consolation of a small role in the movie is rather interesting and this is where the great professional rivalry between the two actors began! After all these years, it?s amazing to watch the movie and see Steve and Paul together, not realizing at the time, where they both would end up! Just imagine what a different movie ?Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? would have been, had Steve agreed to appear opposite Paul in the movie! The disagreement over the issue of top-billing was so typical of a show-business feud that had more to do with Steve?s annoyance to believing he had been placed in the shadows of Paul?s dramatic success. When both finally ended up together in a motion picture, ?The Towering Inferno,? Steve closely kept tabs on what Paul was offered, insisting he be given just as many lines to say and scenes to be in! It was another in a series of eccentric demands that led to a behavior of unusual psychosomatic portions.

I?m not here to compare Paul to Steve. It?s like ?apples to oranges.? The two men were in so many ways different and shared little, if anything of interest, except maybe their love of motor racing and of course their performing careers. Paul would in time, show himself to be stable and forthright to living out his life and especially to his career. On the other hand, Steve was like a jigsaw puzzle that had to constantly be put together. Towards the end of Steve?s life and career, he became problematic to the status of his movie star image. His now crazy and outrageous legendary demands, like asking to be paid to just read a script didn?t keep him on the straight and narrow. There would come a time, he refused to even sign autographs to any fan. A sense of reclusive mannerisms overtook the nature of his once flamboyant character. He became alienated to those who knew him and his film career suffered as it waned or lost its prominence. In the end, he died like he had lived his life, rather unpredictable and with an abandonment to who he might have been. Steve wasn?t a tragic figure, he was just one filled with so many uncertainties that the real Steve McQueen was never really satisfied with himself. All he had to fall back on was this imagery, this movie star status that while it brought him so much fame and fortune, it failed in the end to meld with himself and loosen the ties of those inter frustrations he carried all his life.

Steve was and will remain one of the great movie stars of the past century. Regardless of all his shortcomings, he did understand the nature of being a film star. This I think keeps in check those other stories of his rather unsound lifestyle or personal life. The Steve McQueen story is one of those obstinate situations of movie star imagery that while they make us respect and admire the person, the real one is at times indifferent to what we see on screen. But then, that?s the way it always seems to be with whomever we tend to watch on a movie screen.

> finance . . .

Bisexual would be more appropriate to say about Jimmy. He went both ways. Steve wasn't exactly anti gay in the sense that he wanted it to be known that he didn't swing in that direction. Often enough, Steve was propositioned early in his career and failed to come to terms with issues in the entertainment world that are for the most part accepted. I would have to say that this was in some ways, the reason why Steve stayed pretty much out of the party scene in Hollywood and remained somewhat cautious to his sexuality and career. Steve always like to think that what you saw on screen was what you got in real life from him.

> wouldbestar wrote:

> Is this William Claxton the director who worked with Michael Landon on all his series from Bonanza to Highway to Heaven?

NO. Will Claxton was a noted photographer in L.A. He spent nearly 40 years of his life, photographing artists and various celebrities in and around Hollywood. He is best remembered for his photographic work of famous Jazz musicians. Most of his work is considered of great historical value, since Will befriended those he came to document over the course of his career in photography.

Jimmy Dean already had quite a track record on both sides of the fence, when he made it to Hollywood. He dated a various assortment of starlets and young actresses, while at the sametime occasionally having a male companion. By the time of his first major film, "East of Eden," he was deeply involved in a torrid romance with actress Pier Angeli. Aside from Jimmy's wild lifestyle, I've always believed his sexuality had a lot to do with breaking up the relationship he had with

Angeli. There had never been any reasonable stability to way in which he lived his life. Throughout Jimmy's breif time in the movie business, most of the established Hollywood community stayed rathe quiet on what everybody knew was something of a loose-cannon. After the romantic break-up, Jimmy spent a lot of time with film composer Leonard Rosenman.and then there were his car-racing buddies. The list of Jimmy's suspected famous lovers is quite impressive, if you know what there is to that time back in Hollywood. He was once asked about the issue of his suspected sexuality and said, "I don't expect to live my life with one hand tied behind my back."

It didn't exactly hurt James Dean's career that for a time he lived with Rogers Brackett, who was in charge of casting NBC's radio shows. At least one biography of Dean, BOULEVARD OF BROKEN DREAMS, portrays Dean as basically gay but with occasional opposite sex encounters. That biographer sees the famous romance with Pier Angeli as primarily window dressing.

> kingrat wrote:

>the famous romance with Pier Angeli as primarily window dressing.

That?s interesting, I sort believe the whole race-car driving scene was part of the ?window dressing? scheme of things! It was certainly a routine that most fans at the time saw as something macho and masculine to the point of getting dirty with a lot of grease and the use of heavy tools. What I?ll never understand is why Jimmy rode his motorcycle around the church where Angeli married singer Vic Damone, creating something of a disturbance. It?s one of those strange and unexplained emotional events that while he dwelled on both sides of the sexual issue, why did her leaving him have to matter? This incident from what I know was not anything of a publicity stunt. It just might have been that maybe, just maybe he did love her in some way as to make him snap. He certainly had an inflated ego that contributed to the problem. I've come to believe that all those other women who lived with Jimmy from time to time, had no real solid romantic bond to him; he never had any long term relationship with any women, while the men in his life always seemed to be hanging around for him. Adding to this matter, was when he was called upon to be drafted into the Army for possible service in Korea, he designated himself to be homosexual on his induction form. This is a fact that kept Jimmy out of military service, thus later on creating another controversy that he was a draft-dodger. Even after all these years, he is staunchly defended by friends and family back in Indiana as having no gay inclinations. Well, people change along the way of life. With so much having been said about Jimmy?s saga, it?s now usually accepted that he never was so straight. After all, being a movie star is a rather strange profession in that the clientele, in this case the fans don?t want their bubble busted. Today, things have sure changed with so many celebrities ?coming out.? At times, one has to wonder about the numerous screen idols today, adored my women and envied by men, if there is a fa?ade over everything they appear to be or even represent. We'll just have to keep up with the tabloids and wait to see who's next . . .