Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Cold Blood (1967)

The first real life mass shooting I was aware of was the guy on top of a tower. (In Texas?) I'm thinking mid 1960's. I was eight or ten. Something like that. Heard the story and thought, "Whoa! That's not good." Now? If only it was still unusual. Sad.

I asked this in Info Please, but I will ask it here also.

What is the name of the song sung in Spanish? I have looked it up, but had no luck.

This song is on in the background when the two desperadoes are in the hotel in Mexico. A man is singing it and it has, to me, a very pretty melody. Thanks in advance.

*It was the University of Texas in Austin in 1966 and the man's name was Charles Whitman. They made a TV movie about it.*

Peter Bogdanovich also used that when he made *Targets* , his first feature back in the mid-1960s.

Thank you for reminding me, Iz. TCM ran it last year or earlier this one. I thought it was a well-made movie but sometimes these films that parallel real-life incidents like this make me qeasy. I always wonder what the people left behind think of seeing what they lived through used this way. Law and Order often did this to me.

The first mass murder I remember happened in Chicago in mid July of 1966, right before the Austin mass murdering. Eight student nurses were raped and murdered in their dormitory. A ninth woman, who was a guest spending the night at the dorm, escaped murder when she wriggled under a bed and hid from the murderer, Richard Speck. I believe Richard Speck died in prison within the last 15 years or so.

PK and hamradio: In one of Simon and Garfunkle's earliest albums there is a song that mixes "Silent Night" with the evening news that's full of bad stories. Included is an account of the Speck murders. This always hit me the hardest as it compared what we are supposed to be as human beings-and God's creations-and the monsters we seemed to be devolving into. Think of all the lives these nurses could have saved or help save. That's Speck's legacy, too.

I was aware of the Speck case too. I clearly remember reading the newspaper. Much later, in Chicago, I knew a man who claimed to be the first reporter on the scene. He claimed a lot of things; I thought he was full of himself. When he died, the obit confirmed most of it. "Pioneer of crime reporting, broadcast news legend..." Oops!

wouldbestar: I just played the YouTube video of Silent Night - 7 O'clock News (Simon & Garfunkel). Very sad and very thought provoking. Thank you for mentioning that song.