Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Cry in the Night

I know. It was a little WB picture, but it sure packed a lot of entertainment in it's 70 plus minutes.Edmond O'Brien, big and beefy, was at his best...Natalie was quite good, but sooo tiny...Richard Anderson..I never realized he was so leading man handsome...and Carol Veazie...what a great character actress...Raymond Burr...a wonderful disturbed villain..brief kudos to Brian Donlevy and lovely Irene Hervey. Robert Osborne said it was probably a movie few had ever heard of.

It was so cheaply made, I turned it off after about 15 mins. Looked like a low grade programmer to me. Did anyone endure the film after with Tab Hunter? WB definitely didnt give her Grade A material in her younger days.........

I like both Edmond O Brien and Brian Donlevy a lot. But O Brien was really over the top in this one though. Maybe they should have switched roles, but O Brien was the bigger star at that point so I guess that wouldn't have been considered. I also think that Raymond Burr was not a good choice for that character, a nerdy little guy with glasses (who wouldn't LOOK threatening) would have been better.

Edited by: mrroberts on Jun 15, 2010 12:11 PM

I had to leave off watching it after 30 minutes or so, not my choice, but found what I saw oddly fascinating, no doubt due to the names in the picture.

Burr seemed oddly miscast, but his 'poor little dog' was just right.

Can someone share how it ended? I picture a made it Ma, top of the world shootout with the cops -- hey Natalie, there was a gun under that **** dress, didn't you see it? -- is that what happened? I hope Natalie dumped the boyfriend, a marriage proposal and Dad didn't even know about him? Huh?

I hope it's rerun at some point.

It's funny how I can accept rather dumb moves in 1930's movies, but laugh out loud at post-1950's.

Tonight, watching *A Cry in the Night,* I literally laughed like a fool at some of the actions that happened on screen.

I know that by the 1950's a father, even though he was a police officer, who acted like Edmund O'Brien did, would not have been allowed to ride along, nor would the boyfriend.

This is a personal pet peeve but I wanted to slap him every time he referred to Natalie as "my kid", instead of 'my daughter'. She was a young lady, not a pig-tailed, bony kneed tomboy.

Then when they knew where she was being held, of course the Captain took the time to make a run to her house and pick up Daddy so he could be there, rather than meeting him at the station.

And when they finally got there, and the one cop got shot, naturally *1.* the other cop, *2*. the Captain, *3.* Daddy, and *4.* boyfriend, all stayed at the bottom of the stairs to check out how the injured cop was and let Ray and Natalie get out of sight, instead of at least one of them running after them.

At one point boyfriend was lagging behind and found the room they had been in, so he went in, but the other three kept walking on -- *Question:* What did they do. . . . walk around the block to come to the room from the same angle that the boyfriend had?

Like I said, in a 1930 movie I can accept these silly goings on, but by 1956 we had already had a few police shows on TV and movies like Dragnet and Naked City to show us a few things. The 30's audiences were not all that up to the minute on stuff, but by 1956, they were a lot more educated, and getting more into daily news.

I'm not going to tell the end - I will say it was not a 'top o' the world ma' ending, because it will probably be re-televised eventually, but it was fairly good.

mrsl

>>It was produced by Alan Ladd's company, Jaguar Productions. Did you notice it was Ladd doing the opening narration, and that the film was directed by Frank Tuttle, who helmed Ladd's first big hit "This Gun for Hire."

It was also shot by John Seitz, Ladd's favorite cameraman and had Richard Anderson (his son-in-law) and Ladd's old friend Anthony Caruso in the cast.

The good days were over for Tuttle at this point, this and the previous year's HELL ON FRISCO BAY were his first features in four years after Tuttle had a little HUAC trouble and a rep for being too fond of the bottle. This one must have been shot in a week though, a lot of shots were rather static, people just talking to the face of another with little cutting away for close-ups or a different angle.

This was a pretty cheap penny-dreadful. O'Brien was an actor who needed reining in and he was certainly let loose here. Burr was doing a Chaney-Lenny thing. It looked like there were some retakes because a couple of shots in the hutch had his curly locks grown back, as opposed to the close-cropped look he had for most of the picture. The overbearing mother was a real non-entity. They needed someone with a bit more color for the role. Maybe Connie Gilchrist.

Raymond Burr??? You sure he didnt say Robert Wagner? I bet those dates were chaste with Burr!

I didnt know Richard Anderson was Ladd's son-in-law..........