Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
filmlover

GAD! What movie expressions do you use in real life?

Maybe not an exact quote, but sometimes when I ask my husband to repeat something he said to me.. he'll do a take off of William H. Macy in Fargo:

"I'm cooperating here," or "Ma'am I'm answering your questions" ha... to which I usually reply.. "Yeah, well just dont' "flee the interview" HA! And then just for fun, I'll say.. "Do you want so eggs, hon'?" :D

PS: Mr Movieman.."Woman of the House" (LOVE it!) :D

This has been a running joke between my husband and myself for years:

There is a Three Stooges Short in which one of the stooges is walking out the door with a fishing pole. Another Stooge asks, *"Got Worms?"* and the reply is, *"Yes, but I'm going anyway."*

*"Yes, but I'm going anyway"* has become a favorite exit line in our home for years.

> {quote:title=Katsummers wrote:}{quote}

> This has been a running joke between my husband and myself for years:

>

> There is a Three Stooges Short in which one of the stooges is walking out the door with a fishing pole. Another Stooge asks, *"Got Worms?"* and the reply is, *"Yes, but I'm going anyway."*

>

That Three Stooges short is THREE DARK HORSES (1952).

Further info here:

http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=141

Fudge, only I didn't say fudge... Ralphie in A Christmas Story.

Just a Tidge (Sp) a line Jack Oakie says over and over in the early parts of Lover Come Back. It always cracked up my Mom and me, and we used it when someone asked us if we wanted seconds, more of a beverage.

Nobody Leave the Room! My Mom remembered that line from the Awful Truth, where Irene Dunne pretends to be the floozy sister of Cary Grant, and insults his new girlfriends family into thinking someone there might have stolen her purse. Mom said it when she couldn't find something :)

Edited by: ziggyelman on Jun 21, 2010 1:46 PM

" Oh, rats!" and "tinker's damn" usually let my friends know when I'm ticked off about something. I know rats came from the Peanuts movies and TV shows but if I got tinker from a movie I don't know what it was. I pride myself on not having to resort to using two other certain words to get my point accross and sounding like the script of Full Metal Jacket. I'm not trying to seem superior; I just wasn't raised that way.

For years, I've used the Cagney line "What da ya hear? What da ya say?" when I run into old friends.

I find this Monty Python quote helpful during particularly tense moments at family reunions.

Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who.

I learned at a very young age (from Miss Jean Louise "Scout" Finch) to say "hey" instead of hello

Nothing could be more true to life. Growing up in the south, the only time I heard "hello" was on the telephone.

That reminded me of "The Big Country." Peck comes out on his first morning at the ranch. Two different sets of people respond to his "Good morning" with a "howdy." Peck then says "howdy" to the next group by only to be met with a "good morning" in return.

Some that I use...

I'm make him an offer he can't refuse.

I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling (or the appropriate word/phrase) is going on in here.

Here's another fine mess you gotten me in too.

What a fun thread! I know it's not from a movie but I'm stuck with Holy Cow, which is Phil Rizzuto. I noticed someone posted Fiddle Dee Dee, which my mother used to say a lot, from GWTW.

I like to say: "An ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure" (Steel Magnolias).

I borrow lines from movies a lot. I use "You'll shoot yer eye out, kid" whenever someone wants to do something that I don't think is a good idea.

I also use:

"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown"

"I've been slimed!"

and variations on "Are you crying? There's no crying in baseball!"

The only expressions I seem to pick up are British-isms, like "bl--dy he-l!" and saying "possibly" when I mean "maybe" and "nuddy pants" for "naked." Oh and "Ye gods!"

*"Ye gods!"* - you mean from The Music Man ? The impressionable young girl who said "ye gods"

so much, comparable to young girls saying "awesome" now.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> As I am watching "Life With Father," I realize that when I get humorously frustrated at times, I will say or write, "Gad!" as Clarence Day would bellow.

>

> What expression(s) from movies do you use in your everyday life?

In the original Howard Lindsay-Russell Crouse play, Clarence Day was given to uttering "God!," as many others are. When Warner Bros. purchased the film rights they were informed by the Breen Office that all these exclamations of the Deity were unacceptable, and so "Gad" was inserted as a suitably evocative replacement.

When I need to get out of a situation, I will say "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" much like Charles Coburn as Benjamin Dingle in *The More, the Merrier.* I really love that line.

Edited by: moviesrgr8 on Jun 23, 2010 10:01 AM

It's a bit off-topic, but doesn't Veronica Lodge's father of Archie comic fame utter "EGAD !" whenever Archie or Veronica un-nerve him?

1. Whenever my wife says "The neighbors will hear you" I yell "NEIGHBORS!" like Lee J. Cobb in "Come Blow Your Horn"

2. When she says that someone is lonely, I yell "LONESOME" like John McGyver in "Midnight Cowboy"

3. I model my "homeless man" or "pirate " voice after Robert Newton's in "Blackbeard the Pirate".

> {quote:title=redriver wrote:}{quote}

> I'm stuck with Holy Cow, which is Phil Rizzuto

>

> To say nothing of Harry Caray!

Heh, I remember seeing Harry Caray on David Letterman years ago, and Letterman said Rizzuto claimed he came up with that catchphrase, and Harry said something to the effect that it's possible Rizzuto was saying Holy Cow while playing SS for the Yankees, but Harry was already saying it in the broadcast booth :)