Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Runyan, Megan

Lucille Ball

Guest Runyan, Megan

Lets talk about Lucille Ball!!!! She is the greatest and I wish I could meet her. She is so talented. Lets tal about her movies tv shows or just about her it doesnt matter.

Guest Runyan, Megan

I have always been a fan of Lucille Ball, When I was like 3 I started to watch her shows and now I am 15 and I am still watching them today

Guest Josie

I've been a Ball fan for years! Ever since I was little and watched it on Nick at Night, I've always been a fan of her antics. I've seen one Lucy movie, which was one where Desi Arnez and some other fellows were on a Texas football team, but I cant remember the name.

Guest mongo

Josie I suggest that you try to see both "The Long, Long Trailer" and "Yours, Mine and Ours" with zany Lucy. It's two of her best films. If you want to see a dramatic Lucy try "The Big Street". All three films are shown on TCM.

Guest Griffin, Toni

Mildly talented as an actress, very talented in physical comedy,itch with a major B.I would have liked to seen her act with Joan Crawford.What a cat fight that would have been.

Guest mongo

Lucy had some good dramatic moments in "The Big Street" so good that she actually made you hate her. She was chosen to play the elephant girl in "The Greatest Show on Earth" but became pregnant and Gloria Grahame got the part. It's to bad because the wise cracking role was right up her alley.

I second the suggestion you view THE LONG, LONG TRAILER. It is a very funny movie, although Lucy & Desi play the roles they usually played on TV.

Another one to watch is the 1937 STAGE DOOR. Ball doesn't have a really big role, but she's so young and lovely you just can't help but like her.

Some of y'all are hateful.

I did improv comedy for a few years, and when I managed a particularly inspired bit, well, it just fell out of my mouth and my body, and I swore it didn't come from me; that God and Lucy and Gilda and my Amamah and her mama (or some combination therof) were smiling down on me.

And we won't even get into the innovations she and Desi Arnaz introduced; the barriers they broke....

I too am a Lucy lover. Ever since I can remember I have watched her shows and movies. Josie - the film you are thinking of is called "Too Many Girls," in which Lucy and Desi appeared together, along with Ann Miller, Eddie Bracken, and Frances Langford. That was the first film they made together - look for it on TCM. And Toni - yes it would've been great to see Lucy and Joan Crawford together in a movie - Joan actually guest starred on an episode of "The Lucy Show," the series Lucy did after her "I Love Lucy" days. You can find it on VHS and DVD, in compilation tapes of the "The Lucy Show." Nick at Nite used to play it, but they stopped a few years ago. I'm still writing them and TV Land e-mails asking them to put it back on. And "The Big Street" is a MUST see for any Lucy fan. It is great to see her take on a dramatic role, and do it so well. Some of you might need a box of tissues for that one - and Henry Fonda is also great in it. She was an amazing woman, and as Nashvilgrrl touched on, she and Desi helped pave the way for modern day T.V. as we know it, with the innovating things that they did, like taping the show on film, so it could be re-run, and not fall apart like the kinescope shows did. And they introduced the three camera technique, which made the show more real with better angles, instead of watching it like a stage play. And think about it - they BOUGHT RKO studios and started Desilu, their own production company. It is not very well known, but people who knew her said that Lucy was a very smart businesswoman. I could go on all day about the great Lucille Ball.

You guys can add me to the list of Lucy fans as well. I have seen every episode of "I Love Lucy" and the comedy hour. One of my favorite films that Lucy did is the 1947 film "LURED". It starred her (of course), George Sanders, Charles Coburn, Sir Cedric Harwicke and a special guest appearance by Boris Karloff. If you're interested in seeing Lucy in a good suspense film, get this one. She did a tremendous job. Most actors today aren't nearly as versatile.

I know that this is a bit off the topic, but I wonder, in "The Long, Long Trailer"--did they really make that model of trailer back then for sale to the general public? Also, I wonder the trailers were for real, did they look (both inside and outside) like "The Long, Long Trailer"?

Hey there, Skippy. In "those days" trailers like the one used in "The Long, Long Trailer" were being sold to the public, and "trailer parks" like you saw in the movie were springing up just about everywhere because of their popularity. But, because the interior of this particular trailer had to be one that would allow filming, it was most likely a "set", and perhaps not identical to a model that was for sale. The exterior shots of the trailer were accurate, however.

"Vitameatavegamin" was great, but my fave was the one where Lucy had to have the French designer's dress. Watching her and Ethel walk into the sidewalk cafe so 'regal' in their burlap smocks - and then cowering in humiliation on the way out!

Did anyone mention the hilarious movie "The Fuller Brush Girl" which Lucy starred in? This film could have paved the way for Lucy and her screwball antics in "I Love Lucy" which was just a year away.

Mongo

Lucy did so many good movies before she and Desi started the "I Love Lucy" series. And, the other one that I truly love that she and Desi both were in, along with James Mason, was "Forever Darling".

Lucille Ball is absolutely the greatest female comedian of all time. When it came to being a leading lady in her pre TV days, they never knew quite what to do with her. MGM gave her the lead in 'DuBarry was a Lady', but Red Skelton stole the show. Of course her best dramatic role was with Fonda in 'The Big Street'. Obviously her one sided dedication to Desi throughout the 40s hurt her film career. She is one of the best wise crackin dames ever, in the ranks of Eve Arden and Rosiland Russell.

"Are you unpoopular? Do you pop out at parties?...Then get yourself a great big bottle of....this stuff." With all the political correctness, I'm afraid that someday soon we will lose Lucy because of the way she made fun of Ricky's accent. Someone will have some " 'Splainin' to do."