Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEMovieman

Ultimate Movie Trivia

We all know that when it comes to Oscar nominations, politics often play a huge part, esecially when dealing with enormous egos.  Here are three examples of actors trying to influence the nominating process.  How many can you identify?: 

1.  This movie had two strong roles for women.  The studio wanted a Best Actress nomination for one, and a Supporting Actress nomination for the other.  The one being suggested for Supporting Actress refused, saying that her part was just as important as the other, and since she was playing the title role, she deserved a Best Actress nomination.   Result:  Both actresses were nominated for Best Actress and neither won.  (Ironically, critics of the day felt that had they been nominated in different categories, both probably would have won.)

2.  In this movie, based on a hit Broadway play,  a certain actress had a supporting role.  When the movie was released, the studio behind the movie was pushing for a Best Supporting Actress nomination for her.  Even though it was definitely a supporting role, the actress said that she definitely would not accept a nomination  in that category, claiming that since she had been a major star in Hollywood for over twenty years, it was only appropriate for her to be nominated  for Best Actress.   Result:  No nomination.

3.  This beauty had a prominent role in a huge epic, although she was not billed as the female star.  When Oscar buzz started, some critics mentioned her name as a possibility for Supporting Actress.  She realized that this would probably be her only chance at an Oscar.  Again, because she had been a star for many years, she said that she would only accept  a Best Actress nomination.  Result:  No nomination.

1.  This movie had two strong roles for women.  The studio wanted a Best Actress nomination for one, and a Supporting Actress nomination for the other.  The one being suggested for Supporting Actress refused, saying that her part was just as important as the other, and since she was playing the title role, she deserved a Best Actress nomination.   Result:  Both actresses were nominated for Best Actress and neither won.  (Ironically, critics of the day felt that had they been nominated in different categories, both probably would have won.)

This one sounds like Bette Davis and Anne Baxter for All About Eve.

2.  In this movie, based on a hit Broadway play,  a certain actress had a supporting role.  When the movie was released, the studio behind the movie was pushing for a Best Supporting Actress nomination for her.  Even though it was definitely a supporting role, the actress said that she definitely would not accept a nomination  in that category, claiming that since she had been a major star in Hollywood for over twenty years, it was only appropriate for her to be nominated  for Best Actress.   Result:  No nomination.

This one is a guess, but...Rosalind Russell in Picnic?

Larry, you're on a roll today!  Both of your answers are correct.  Good for you.  The third one is probably the most difficult.  The movie in question was a religious epic that used to be so popular.

Larry, you're on a roll today!  Both of your answers are correct.  Good for you.  The third one is probably the most difficult.  The movie in question was a religious epic that used to be so popular.

My guess at first on this one was Yvonne De Carlo in The Ten Commandments, but I'm really not sure.

Once again, Larry, you're the champion.  Yvonne DeCarlo is the answer.  As much as I love her and this movie (and I've seen it many times)  I've always felt that she was adequate in the role, but I could never find a scene where she gave an Oscar-worthy performance.  But I'm sure she appreciated all the attention.  It's all yours, Larry.

• Like 1

Next: Scenes from this star's earlier silent movie were reused 22 years later for one of his sound features, edited in such a way that one scene from earlier film led right into one from the new one.

Name the star and the two films.

Harold Lloyd, "Safety Last", "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock"?

The silent film is incorrect, or at least, not what I was thinking of. Looking it up, it appears maybe a scene was continued or copied from Safety Last so I'll give it you.

I was referring to the football game from The Freshman.

Your thread, film lover!

• Like 1

This supposedly jinxed silent hit was remade during the sound era; but it took three tries and four years before the film was finished.  Name the silent film and star, the sound film and titles for attempts #1 and #2 & #3 (two titles total). the first two female stars and why they dropped out, and the final leading lady and leading man.

Hint #4--The original silent film was viewed as jinxed because it's shooting schedule prevented the leading lady from traveling to her famous lover's deathbed.

I think that the silent film is Hotel Imperial (1927), which starred Pola Negri.  The film was remade in 1939 under the same title.  The previous titles were Invitation to Happiness and I Loved a Soldier.  Marlene Dietrich was supposed to star in the film, but she clashed with the director and was replaced by Margaret Sullavan.  Margaret Sullavan accidentally tripped and broke her arm during production, so she had to drop out.  Isa Miranda and Ray Milland ended up playing the lead roles. 

Azure--Right on all counts!

Isa Miranda was unhurt at the end of production.  Costar Ray Milland wasn't as lucky.  On the last day of filming, during a take when Milland was riding a galloping horse, his saddle came off the horse and Milland went flying.  He landed on a pile of concrete, broke his arm in multiple places, and got a concussion.

Your thread, Azure. :)

Thanks, Film Lover.

Next:  This actress starred in 2 films (one in the 1930s and the other in the 1940s).  Both of those films were remade in the 1950s with another actress. 

Please name the 2 actresses and the 4 films. 

Irene Dunne was in "Love Affair" in 1939  and " Anna And The King Of Siam" in 1946.  Both remakes starred Deborah Kerr.  "An Affair To Remember" was made in 1957 and "The King And I" was made in 1956.  

Irene Dunne also starred in "Roberta" in 1935 and "Show Boat" in 1936.  Kathryn Grayson starred in the remakes, "Lovely To Look At" and "Show Boat" in the fifties. 

Irene Dunne was in "Love Affair" in 1939  and " Anna And The King Of Siam" in 1946.  Both remakes starred Deborah Kerr.  "An Affair To Remember" was made in 1957 and "The King And I" was made in 1956.  

Correct.  Your turn.

This character actor had a long career in both silent and sound films.  He often played Abraham Lincoln in movies.  In the 1930's he played Lincoln eleven times, including three times in 1936 alone.  Can you name him?

You are correct, Starlit.  You may remember him from "The Littlest Rebel", "The Prisoner Of Shark Island", and "The Plainsman".  Including silent and sound films, he played Lincoln thirteen times.

littlestrebel1.jpg

Good work, Star.  You're up next.

As a matter of fact, Miles, The Littlest Rebel was the first film that popped into my head.

When this actor made a period picture, he received some of the worst reviews of his career.  It would be years before he would make another period picture, and – once again – both he and the picture did not fare well.

Name the actor and the 2 movies.